Motor Trend Car of the Year, Alfa Giulia

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I personally thought the Model 3 was a shoe in but the Alfa Giulia won.... go figure....

Mod, please correct title to Motor Trend.... thx

evelectricity

Country
Country
I remember reading that Tesla took the Model 3 off the table as they did not submit it for evaluation. Next year it'll be a shoe in!!
Tesla did supply a car and Motor Trend did not like it as much. From CNN:

Tesla (TSLA) has provided very few opportunities to journalists to test the Model 3 but did supply one to Motor Trend. The Tesla Model S won the magazine's Car of the Year award in 2012.
Motor Trend writers were impressed with the Model 3's performance but some were dismayed at the test car's $60,000 price tag. The Model 3 is touted as an "accessible" car with a starting price of $35,000. Among other factors that kept it from winning were rather tight back seats and cheap-seeming interior materials.

sreams

Country
Country
Tesla did supply a car and Motor Trend did not like it as much. From CNN:

Tesla (TSLA) has provided very few opportunities to journalists to test the Model 3 but did supply one to Motor Trend. The Tesla Model S won the magazine's Car of the Year award in 2012.
Motor Trend writers were impressed with the Model 3's performance but some were dismayed at the test car's $60,000 price tag. The Model 3 is touted as an "accessible" car with a starting price of $35,000. Among other factors that kept it from winning were rather tight back seats and cheap-seeming interior materials.
Odd... considering the price as tested for the only version of the Giulia that outperformed the LR Model 3 was $85K.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
$60k? So they put every option on it and then rounded up. Said option list including $3k for FSD which does absolutely nothing. Sounds like they weren't testing EAP or even commenting on EAP at all, so that's another $5k they tacked on for absolutely no reason at all. They could have had the exact same review about the car if it were $51,5k. And that's assuming that the specific paint colour actually mattered to them, that 19" wheels mattered to them, etc. Obviously they can't review a short range or non-PUP car at the moment, but even in the $35k base model, you get a lot of big features that you don't get in a base 3-series, a base A4, etc.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I don't really understand how the Giulia is even a contender for 2018. The requirements to be eligible for COTY are:

"
To be eligible for the award, a car must be an "all-new" or "substantially upgraded" vehicle that has been on sale within twelve months from the previous November, vehicles that have been on sale for over five years are ineligible for the award."

The Giulia came out as a 2017 model and started sales around December 2016 in the US, so it is not a new model this year. According to Edmunds, the only change to the vehicle for 2018 is:

"For 2018, Alfa has revised some of the Giulia's options packages and created some additional trim level names. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity is now available this year."

I call for a DQ! :D

If that's enough of a change, the SR will surely be enough of a change for the Model 3 to be a 2018 contender.

Last edited:

SolarPro

Country
Country
I don't really understand how the Giulia is even a contender for 2018. The requirements to be eligible for COTY are:

"
To be eligible for the award, a car must be an "all-new" or "substantially upgraded" vehicle that has been on sale within twelve months from the previous November, vehicles that have been on sale for over five years are ineligible for the award."

The Giulia came out as a 2017 model and started sales around December 2016 in the US, so it is not a new model this year. According to Edmunds, the only change to the vehicle for 2018 is:

"For 2018, Alfa has revised some of the Giulia's options packages and created some additional trim level names. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity is now available this year."

I call for a DQ! :D

If that's enough of a change, the SR will surely be enough of a change for the Model 3 to be a 2018 contender.
Reading the above, it qualifies. Been on sale in last 12 months and not over 5 years old. Doesn’t say if first went on sale within 12 months of November, just that it’s on sale and not more than 5 years old.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As someone who has driven both, and a totally impartial opinion here :D, I'd have to say they got it wrong. the Alfa is amazing just considering that it is an Alfa. The Model 3 however, we'll as far as I'm concerned it felt like a whole different level. I didn't have a chance to drive the cars back to back like these guys did but I really don't think that would of changed my mind.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Reading the above, it qualifies. Been on sale in last 12 months and not over 5 years old. Doesn’t say if first went on sale within 12 months of November, just that it’s on sale and not more than 5 years old.
Yeah, I guess it's only been on sale for 11 months and wasn't a contender for the 2017 COTY, so it snuck in.

Jayc

Country
Country
Hey I think it's okay once in a way to give a chance to a car that most people won't even consider.

When Model 3 starts shipping, we will know the real winner for 2018 and until then, those who know know - don't you feel privileged somehow?

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wasn't familiar, not really a "car" guy, so I just took a look at it. Side and rear it looks fine, but that front is terrible. It must have a lot of redeeming factors in driving it as i can't see it being cheap to maintain. If that's what they think is the car of the year, then I really don't think their opinion is relative to me.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Motor Trend's gripe seemed to be that the Model 3 LR was not a good value, in their eyes (asking, "will we ever see a $35K model 3?"):

A couple of us were mesmerized by the latest car that Musk built, specifically because unlike the Model S and Model X, we won’t be seeing any with six-figure price tags. However, like the two big Teslas before it, the first edition Model 3s are fully loaded, fully specced, and priced accordingly. Will we ever see a $35K Model 3? That question lingered in the room. As we evaluate COTY finalists using our key criteria, the Model 3 fell down on Value.

As if Tesla hadn't already committed to building a short range version Model 3 and taken reservations for it. On the other hand, about the Alfa:

On top of its outstanding performance, superior handling, strong fuel economy, excellent safety record, and killer value, the Alfa Romeo Giulia is just flat-out fun.

There's a lot I would quibble with, but I'm holding on to my 2 Model 3 reservations.