Model3 Roadtrip/Meet and Greet

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I know I’ve already posted this but I drove You You’s in Kingston last week for about 10 minutes. Prior to this I sat in every seat and got to play with the UI a bit while it charged. -17 C but totally worth it. Very responsive, great steering and handling. Acceleration is instantaneous unlike the slight lag with ice. Great forward visibility, best I have experienced, with mediocre center rear view mirror due to the narrow rear greenhouse and high trunk. Loved the seats. Very comfortable. Terrific to have had the opportunity to actually drive it. Now like JWardell the wait is going to be intolerable;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You You’s nearing mandatory chain up area before Snoqualmie Pass. Check out the hiway cameras here. Wish him luck.
http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/default.aspx
and bragging about going thru there without chains. video on FB shows passing others right and left and going way too fast for the conditions - essentially who I see making jackass moves like that when it snows here and see in a ditch a little further down the road. It is quite amazing to me the car appears to be (relatively) still in one piece.

dogfood

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
He cut off the video about 4 miles from my house. It's been raining like that all day.

I can't believe he made it across there like that without interesting the odd State Trooper.

oey192

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I drove up to the Burlington, WA Supercharger to meet You You last night. It was my second time seeing a Model 3 in person (the first time was just passing by in downtown Seattle) and I have to agree that from certain angles it does look better in person than in pictures. However, from most angles it looks the same in-person as it does in photos, at least to me. I've always thought the car looked nice from the photos so this doesn't bother me, but I'm guessing if you don't quite like the look in photos you'll like it better in person. Seeing it move, even if only a few times, was very exciting. It definitely looks nimble when on the move (in addition to the feeling of nimbleness others have reported).

I seemed to get the hang of operating the door handles pretty quickly but they seemed unintuitive if I approached the door from the front of the vehicle. I found that as long as I used the correct hand (left hand if on the driver's side, right hand if on the passenger side) it was easy to operate the handles one-handed. Otherwise my attempts resulted in clumsy maneuvers involving either using both hands or giving up and trying the other hand.

Sitting in the driver's seat two things surprised me. The first was the feel of the steering wheel in my hands. I was surprised at the stiffness of the material and how bulky it felt. I didn't get a chance to drive the car but I think I would get used to the feel of the steering wheel quickly. When I sat in the driver's seat a second time the steering wheel no longer stuck out to me as strange when I held it.
The second thing that surprised me was the view out the rear of the car. The interior top of the trunk is pretty high up and this leaves only a small section of the rear panel of glass that isn't tinted that you can see out of through the rear view mirror. Perhaps in the daylight you could see through the tinted section but that won't give you a better view of the road behind you. It felt as though the view out the back was more constricted than my 2017 Leaf which already feels like it has a small rear viewport. I doubt this will really be an issue since you can bring up the rear facing camera on-screen any time you want, but I was disappointed by this all the same. The view out the front seems to be quite expansive (as many have mentioned) but the view out the back does not match (at least not at night)

In the rear the legroom is quite extensive, especially if you're concerned about your knees hitting the back of the seat in front of you. I did find (as some others have reported) that my thighs did go up at a fairly steep angle. The distance between the floor and the seat bench is not as much as it is in most cars*
I did a quick comparison in a Subaru Crosstrek and a Nissan Leaf. My thighs were the most level in the Crosstrek, slightly less so in the Leaf, and definitely less level in the Model 3
Given that my thighs sloped upward, I'm not sure how comfortable the rear seat would be on a long trip. I'd have to sit in them for awhile to make a determination. But I would not worry about your knees hitting the back of the front seats as there is plenty of room there.
As I've never owned a vehicle with a rear HVAC vent, I was very impressed by how warm the rear seat area was (it was about 3ºC/37ºF outside)

Since You You arrived pretty late (12:40 AM) he didn't have time to offer test drives but I did get a chance to go on a ride. The car definitely has some kick but it was slightly underwhelming for me. Perhaps I'm spoiled by already driving an electric car which has a kick at low speeds or perhaps I'm spoiled by my Model S P100D test ride but I didn't feel the roller coaster feeling that I've found with other EV accelerations. I'm thinking that the acceleration was over-hyped and I was therefore let down when the acceleration was only "great" and not "mind-boggling." It was still quite fast and I won't be holding out for a performance model or upgrading to an S, but it still wasn't quite what I expected. It's also possible that being in the backseat is sufficiently different from controlling the car that I didn't get the best experience. There will be a next time though.

Overall I was impressed and definitely intend to carry my reservation through to a purchase. Unlike others, however, experiencing the car actually made me less anxious to get mine. It's as though now that I have a tangible experience with the car I'm no longer constantly wondering what it will be like. Also the slightly underwhelming acceleration makes me more confident in my decision to wait for AWD which should have at least a tiny bit more of a kick to it :D

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree and would especially be interested in any good quality, very light weight wheel that doesn't break the bank on the price point. I'm not a fan of the FC04 look but I do like these from your website, would love to see them photoshoped on a white Model 3.....

OK, so classic good news / bad news scenario here...

Good news: The F226 Shadow, as we call it, does fit.

Bad news: The only width available in 18" diameter is a 7.5". The OE 235/45R18 is an approved fit on that size, but it's the minimum and a full inch narrower than the OE 18x8.5.
Can you use it? Yes, but there might be some minor handling tradeoffs. With this car's performance potential I'd rather see at least an 8.0" wide used to keep it "in the zone".

Last edited:

Oregonian

Country
Country
Re wheels, we did do a full 3D sweep of the calipers and all relevant suspension and body components. Just got the data uploaded and it's showing a LOT of options. At least on the upside of things...
Go Big or Go Home - 9.5" wide fronts and 11.0" rears in 18" / 19" / 20" are NO problem, there is actually a little more room under there than a Model S.
Downsize-for-winter - Welllll, it's almost exactly what I thought from the photos we've seen... you CAN fit a 17", but it's razor-thin close over the rear brakes. And when I say "a" wheel, I mean "a" wheel. Out of the 85 models we have in the right 17" specs. there is exactly one that fits over the rear brakes, and that with just 2.1mm of clearance to the barrel. On paper that is the absolute bare minimum we would ever consider for acceptable caliper-to-inner-barrel clearance, but until we can do some real-world testing we're not going to allow it as it's pretty clear the car wasn't designed for 17".

NOTE - Now that we have full wheel fitment data and there's bound to be tons of questions, I'm going to ask that we move these wheel/tire discussions to @garsh 's Aftermarket Wheel Fitment Thread so we don't jack the You You train off the tracks here.
But glad to share what we've just learned!

Any chance that you have the exact inner barrel diameter of that 17" that fit?

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
He's asking if you can provide the inner diameter of the wheel itself, not your 3D scan results. :)
I get that, however as I've already stated that there was only 2mm clearance divulging the wheel barrel diameter data would result in the same thing. Sorry to be so cloak and dagger about that part, but we've put HUGE resources into developing our unique 3D data mapping system and we have to be somewhat protective of it.

Oregonian

Country
Country
Anybody in the Portland area have a car they will let me come over and measure the exact diameter minimum wheel that will fit. So I can publicly post it on here.

Last edited by a moderator: