Model Y wiring, 12v tap, accessories, switched circuits, ambient lighting, mods, radar, amp leads, etc.

dperk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
OK - tried to fit all that into a title for easy searching. I couldn't find any threads of anyone tapping into circuits of the MY and don't know how similar it is to the Model 3. I ordered an ambient laser light kit from @Djgabriel2004 and want to knock that out one day soon.
I also understand that circuits aren't behaving like they once did after a software update - that's fine - I'm just hoping to tap into something that goes off on sleep and I'm fine if it stays on during Sentry.
Anyone tap anything lately and happy with the performance?

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The 3 and Y have the same wiring, however it has changed a bit over time.
The best answer is always to use the accessory circuit that powers the 12v lighter socket in the center console. The car expects unknown loads there and always will, and its behavior has not changed in a long time.
The good news is you don't need to jam everything into that socket. Some folks open their console and tap the wire behind the socket, it can be tapped at the back of the console at the inline connector, and it can be tapped at the bottom of the A pillar by your feet.

Reactions: 2 people

dperk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Thanks! Can I tap this 'lighter socket' at the driver footwell (or passenger)? And is there a a picture or description of the socket/wire color? Thanks!

dperk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Well, the model Y is a bit different -
-
The thicker blue wire (not twisted with white) is still there in the twisted vertical bunch, which I think is the ckt for the accessory plug. I may try to hit that, but was hoping to tap a thinner wire given the taps I have.

There's also that plug in pic #3 that is an empty female attached to the white plastic - it seems to come off of the blue connectors closest to the door.
The last pic is a plug accessible from the assembled car right next to the footwell light - its removed along with footwell light plug to allow the panel to come off - no idea what that is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, the model Y is a bit different -
-
The thicker blue wire (not twisted with white) is still there in the twisted vertical bunch, which I think is the ckt for the accessory plug. I may try to hit that, but was hoping to tap a thinner wire given the taps I have.

There's also that plug in pic #3 that is an empty female attached to the white plastic - it seems to come off of the blue connectors closest to the door.
The last pic is a plug accessible from the assembled car right next to the footwell light - its removed along with footwell light plug to allow the panel to come off - no idea what that is for.

Not just the model Y, Tesla has changed the whole VCLeft controller and its connectors, and I would suspect the same between new 3s and the Y. Not quite sure which wire is the right one to tap on the new ones. But you could possibly trace it backwards from the lighter socket in the console, under the seat, below the door sill. It should still be one of the thicker wires.
I've seen lots of discussions about unexpected issues, because wires were tapped that were not the lighter socket/accessory circuit. That's the only one that guarantees you won't have issues.

dperk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I tapped the blue one for the laser - stays on during sentry which is cool, but quickly shuts off at home when it sleeps.