Model Y Seating

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No word, but I doubt it. It is another selling point for X being better and larger. Sure it would be a nice option even though the third row would be smaller, but if it is similar to the 3 platform I don't think there are many options in that size that have third row.

Country
Country
Since it will be built on the Model 3 chassis, it's unlikely to be much wider than a model 3.
Well, looks like model 3 is actually a tiny bit wider than my renault grand scenic (which comes with 3 equal and separate 2nd row seats), so it would be great if they provide 2nd row options, like for X. That would also keep the kids happy :)

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since it will be built on the Model 3 chassis, it's unlikely to be much wider than a model 3.
This is exactly why I was hoping they'd redesign the Y from the ground up, but I definitely understand why they didn't. As it is my BMW X3 tends to be pretty tight for two people to sit next to a car seat. I assume the Model Y will be quite a bit smaller, so I'm not sure if that's at all realistic for a family car. I guess in 2 years when the BMW lease is up we'll have to consider our options, but I anticipate this will still be an issue. Hopefully BMW will have an electric X3 by then. :p

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having sat in the rear seats (third row) of a Model X in a Tesla store I’m pretty sure there won’t be a third row in the Model Y. If there is, adults won’t be able to fit back there (adults barely fit in the back of the Model X and there is no leg/foot room). This is based off the 7 seat configuration so I’m guessing the third row is more manageable in the 6 seat configuration but even so I wouldn’t expect a third row in the Model Y

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd be very happy if the Model Y was around the size of a Toyota RAV4. The 2017 model dimensions of the RAV4 are pretty close to the Model 3, so assuming they're built on the same line, that's doable.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks everyone. I agree it would be very unlikely to have a third row in the Model Y. I was actually wondering if there was any chance they might have rear facing seats like in the S.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is exactly why I was hoping they'd redesign the Y from the ground up, but I definitely understand why they didn't. As it is my BMW X3 tends to be pretty tight for two people to sit next to a car seat. I assume the Model Y will be quite a bit smaller, so I'm not sure if that's at all realistic for a family car. I guess in 2 years when the BMW lease is up we'll have to consider our options, but I anticipate this will still be an issue. Hopefully BMW will have an electric X3 by then. :p
Our other car is an X3 also. Driving the X3 after the Model 3 feels like driving a school bus through corners. I have high hopes but am thinking they will not be able to compete with Tesla on technology (AP/screen UI), battery performance/quality and also price unless they are willing to take a beating on profits on their best selling model (ICE version). That said it has desirable dimensions and looks good! Model Y will probably be harder to get so put a deposit down in March next year when they announce! iX3 will be popular, the masses will buy it simply if they prefer the looks over Yo_O

I can't wait for an SUV with a giant battery pulling the center of gravity down. SUV's are about to stop sucking in the handling department if they can keep the weight in check. There are fancy dynamic suspension setups that keep tall/heavy SUV's flatter in the corners but they are pricey.

Claim is 2019 start of production with 2020 cars being delivered.
https://electrek.co/2018/04/25/bmw-ix3-all-electric-suv-range-specs/

Last edited:

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our other car is an X3 also. Driving the X3 after the Model 3 feels like driving a school bus through corners. I have high hopes but am thinking they will not be able to compete with Tesla on technology (AP/screen UI), battery performance/quality and also price unless they are willing to take a beating on profits on their best selling model (ICE version). That said it has desirable dimensions and looks good! Model Y will probably be harder to get so put a deposit down in March next year when they announce! iX3 will be popular, the masses will buy it simply if they prefer the looks over Yo_O

I can't wait for an SUV with a giant battery pulling the center of gravity down. SUV's are about to stop sucking in the handling department if they can keep the weight in check. There are fancy dynamic suspension setups that keep tall/heavy SUV's flatter in the corners but they are pricey.

Claim is 2019 start of production with 2020 cars being delivered.
https://electrek.co/2018/04/25/bmw-ix3-all-electric-suv-range-specs/
Check out the flop of a EV crossover MB EQC .... design isn't half bad IMO, think the dash/display is pretty cool, but 200-mile range is outdated TODAY let alone 2020 when they hope to bring it to the market.

Oh and where exactly are you going to charge it out on the rad? FAIL! :rolleyes:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/1...-electric-car-debut-launch-battery-range-fail

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-first-tesla-rival-in-12-billion-attack-plan

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check out the flop of a EV crossover MB EQC .... design isn't half bad IMO, think the dash/display is pretty cool, but 200-mile range is outdated TODAY let alone 2020 when they hope to bring it to the market.

Oh and where exactly are you going to charge it out on the rad? FAIL! :rolleyes:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/1...-electric-car-debut-launch-battery-range-fail

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-first-tesla-rival-in-12-billion-attack-plan
Byton's concepts look cool. Not performance focused but full screen across entire dash. Will be interesting to see if they pull it off. Company is based in China, but tons of BMW engineers and product people started it.

lascavarian

Country
Country
If the Semi is targeting a 1 million mile drivetrain warranty and it is using the model 3 drivetrain set mostly then it may be that the Model 3 drivetrains may outlast the body in our corrosive northern areas. At a million miles the life would be beyond 50 years. Battery may need to be recycled to a new one - maybe for now.

One could speculate that the front and rear motor sets and battery pack from a model 3 may be able to be moved to a model Y 10 (?) years down the road. I think there are only 5 connections to the motor sets. The battery pack has maybe 10ish connections. Seems it might be possible to have a new use for all those Tesla body shops down the road.

So the Giga Factories make battery packs and motor sets and those products go to whatever fabrication plant to make trucks or whatever. What a beautiful plan.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I fully anticipate Model Y will reuse all Model 3 drivetrain and use the same battery tech but will have a slightly bigger body to accommodate a larger interior space.

What I don’t expect is anything fancy like Falcon wing doors or 7 seats etc. . They want to get this to market quickly so while they will likely reuse a lot of Model 3 stuff there will still be some special Tesla “flair” thrown in for good measure (ie: unique design elements)

I expect the same HVAC as seen in the Model 3 as that’s the direction they’re going for sure.
A different seat design
Lots of glass
A family resemblance
Autopilot 3 hardware
Same 15” horizontal screen

11thIndian

Country
Country
There's no reason for Tesla to overthink the Model Y. Make it a 3 with more rear storage and a higher wheel base. 5 seats is fine by me. And I'm firmly in the NFWD (NoFalconWingDoors) camp, as I want good roof storage for skis, storage boxes, surf/paddleboards. And a hitch too.

But for expediency and maximum efficiency of speeding up the production ramp, I'm absolutely fine with keeping the interior styling the same. It benefits Tesla to get this car out as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The latest rumors are that it might have 7 seats. I'm very curious as to how this would work. A typical third row? Rear facing seats like in the S, but that could fit adults? I know some people would be sad about losing the storage space, so I hope they are an option, but it would be an option I'd really appreciate. Looking forward to the reveal.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The latest rumors are that it might have 7 seats. I'm very curious as to how this would work. A typical third row? Rear facing seats like in the S, but that could fit adults? I know some people would be sad about losing the storage space, so I hope they are an option, but it would be an option I'd really appreciate. Looking forward to the reveal.
Speculation a week or so ago was it would have 3rd row seating