Model Y de-chromed

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

MajorPayne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Just got my Model Y, looking for suggestions on how to de-chrome the font, rear and Dual Motor badges.

Entire vehicle has black trim, just seems odd they went that direction, then added chrome badges.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Plasti-dip is the easiest and least expensive method.
Here are some related threads.

I had plasti-dipped the wheels and the chrome strip on the front bumper on my Nissan Leaf. It held up very well.

Reactions: MajorPayne

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I feel the same way, they should have not overlooked the chrome logos.

In any case, you can get vinyl stickers to black them out or just do like I did and remove them altogether

@AO - Pete has some great products on his site such as the TESLA lettering which I love on my car:

MajorPayne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I feel the same way, they should have not overlooked the chrome logos.

In any case, you can get vinyl stickers to black them out or just do like I did and remove them altogether

@AO - Pete has some great products on his site such as the TESLA lettering which I love on my car:

Thank you for the link, but not the lettering I was looking for. Didn't really matter though as the Matte black I would have preferred is sold out. Looking on ebay I found several sellers for all black emblems, and since I'm not a fan of a material on top of another material (wrapping) as it is prone to peeling, I'm thinking this might be my only option.

pyjamasam

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you for the link, but not the lettering I was looking for. Didn't really matter though as the Matte black I would have preferred is sold out. Looking on ebay I found several sellers for all black emblems, and since I'm not a fan of a material on top of another material (wrapping) as it is prone to peeling, I'm thinking this might be my only option.
I purchased some black replacements from AliExpress. They are due to show up any day now. I'll post about them if they are any good. They will require removal and replacement of the existing emblems though.

I'll check back as soon as they show up and report!

chris.

Reactions: garsh

pyjamasam

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
IMG_6119.jpg

The emblems seem nice enough. They are thick plastic similar to the existing emblems. I am not sure about the characters on the packaging, but one is front and one is back. The rear one seems to have the correct "bend" in it to match the rear deck lid. So I think I can tell them apart that way.

During shipping the box got beat up quite a bit, but stuff seems to have survived, though they aren't exactly aligned on the backing paper any more exactly.
There will be some work to make sure everything is lined up and level when applying to the car, but I guess that's to be expected to happen when you actually remove the real ones.

I am going see if I can make an alignment guide and make sure I mark the existing positions really well before I remove stuff in the hopes that when I apply the new stuff it is as close a possible to being "right".

The emblems also came with some cleaning wipes to help getting things to stick, as well as some "string" to assist with removing the existing emblems.

The items I ordered were:
and

Overall I am happy with them (and more so then I think I would have been with just stickers over the existing ones), and hopefully with the weather warming up I'll be able to apply them soon.

One caveat is that I think the Y has a different front emblem that has a "peg" on the back of it. But for my 3 these fit the bill.

chris.

chris.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.