Model Y 18” winter wheel set up and Load concerns

sontles

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Here’s a picture of it now! I’ll certainly update with the other wheels when I can.

Sorry to lurch in from the UK and resurrect this, but the Model Y is coming out here soon and I've been trying to ascertain if the 18" EV01+ wheels will fit on the performance before I buy the thing! I'm not interested in 21" wheels, and iirc the 18" EV01's fit the model 3 performance with a whisker of clearance.

I'm also seriously considering an aftermarket active air suspension system to raise/lower at minor offroad/highway, but that's another bit of research...

This picture isn't showing any more, any chance of a repost?

sontles

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Sorry to lurch in from the UK and resurrect this, but the Model Y is coming out here soon and I've been trying to ascertain if the 18" EV01+ wheels will fit on the performance before I buy the thing! I'm not interested in 21" wheels, and iirc the 18" EV01's fit the model 3 performance with a whisker of clearance.

I'm also seriously considering an aftermarket active air suspension system to raise/lower at minor offroad/highway, but that's another bit of research...

This picture isn't showing any more, any chance of a repost?
Just as a further query... a Tesla rep told me you can't put smaller wheels on the Y performance because of the ride height (I don't think she was taking into account increasing sidewall height).

Looking at the EV01+ I can access in the UK, they are all 8.5" wide - there are no 9.5" listed, and the performance 21" are listed at 10.5" on the rear. That's 215? Instead of 255/275. Is there any experience of how that affects acceleration/handling/distance?

Basically, what have people got away with!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
First, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, the person you need to summon here, like Beetlejiuce, is @Mad Hungarian our resident wheel/tire expert

Mad Hungarian

Legendary Member 🏆
TOO Wheel & Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just as a further query... a Tesla rep told me you can't put smaller wheels on the Y performance because of the ride height (I don't think she was taking into account increasing sidewall height).

Looking at the EV01+ I can access in the UK, they are all 8.5" wide - there are no 9.5" listed, and the performance 21" are listed at 10.5" on the rear. That's 215? Instead of 255/275. Is there any experience of how that affects acceleration/handling/distance?

Basically, what have people got away with!
1642179768653.png

You most definitely can fit certain 18" wheels on the Performance Y, as it has the same overall brake dimensions as the M3P (sans the annoying stepped hub, yay Tesla for fixing that :)), so the same 18" for that will physically fit.

Most of my concerns/caveats about this are listed in the reply back on pg 1 here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-y-18”-winter-wheel-set-up-and-load-concerns.17308/page-2#post-329763

I know a number of folks who are happily running narrower 18" wheels/tires on the Y and haven't had any issues pop up yet though, let's hope it stays that way. But it just bears consideration that Tesla is more freakishly proprietary about their vehicles and mods than any other OEM I've ever seen.

As for our EV01? Since we never intended the 18" to be a primary fitment on the Y, we optimized weight and load rating (715 kg) for the 3. It definitely fits the Y, but you need to be aware that if you use it you're be reducing the vehicle's total cargo load capacity by about 320 kg or 700 lbs.
Personally I'd go with the 19x9.5 EV01. Designed from the get-go as an exact OE-spec Model Y fitment its 820 kg load rating is higher than the axle ratings on any Y, it'll offer much crisper handling, stability and performance (not something I'd overlook on a 480 hp crossover) and if paired with the correct tire its lighter-than-OE weight and equivalent-to-OE aero properties ensure you'll get 19" OE spec range. All while still delivering much improved impact protection and comfort compared to your current 21".

• Helpful
Reactions: sontles and garsh

sontles

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
View attachment 41025

You most definitely can fit certain 18" wheels on the Performance Y, as it has the same overall brake dimensions as the M3P (sans the annoying stepped hub, yay Tesla for fixing that :)), so the same 18" for that will physically fit.

Most of my concerns/caveats about this are listed in the reply back on pg 1 here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-y-18”-winter-wheel-set-up-and-load-concerns.17308/page-2#post-329763

I know a number of folks who are happily running narrower 18" wheels/tires on the Y and haven't had any issues pop up yet though, let's hope it stays that way. But it just bears consideration that Tesla is more freakishly proprietary about their vehicles and mods than any other OEM I've ever seen.

As for our EV01? Since we never intended the 18" to be a primary fitment on the Y, we optimized weight and load rating (715 kg) for the 3. It definitely fits the Y, but you need to be aware that if you use it you're be reducing the vehicle's total cargo load capacity by about 320 kg or 700 lbs.
Personally I'd go with the 19x9.5 EV01. Designed from the get-go as an exact OE-spec Model Y fitment its 820 kg load rating is higher than the axle ratings on any Y, it'll offer much crisper handling, stability and performance (not something I'd overlook on a 480 hp crossover) and if paired with the correct tire its lighter-than-OE weight and equivalent-to-OE aero properties ensure you'll get 19" OE spec range. All while still delivering much improved impact protection and comfort compared to your current 21".

sontles

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Sage advice, thank you so much - the devil is in the detail! If the 19s will allow occasional off roading that's even better, and if I can get a better 0-60 but equal the long range or near enough on normal drives, I'm good.

Now all I need is a good air suspension set to raise and lower for speed or traversal and I'm set 😂

My land rover hasn't done as much as I'd like and it's been soft roading really.

Reactions: Mad Hungarian

sontles

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
View attachment 41025

Also, as a long term Beetlejuice fan, your response is as sterling as expected, old chap.

Please forgive me for speaking as if I command a star destroyer; it's my natural accent.

Reactions: Mad Hungarian