Model X refresh

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ppower

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We now know that there will be a Plaid drivetrain option offered within the next year. There has also been plenty of rumblings about if/when the interior (at least) will get revised for the S and X. Rumor milling hypotheticals are always fun at the very least, so what are realistic predictions?

While I prefer that there are instruments in front of the driver, the center stack definitely looks dated once the 3 came out.

-Interior revision?
-battery pack upgrade?
-Plaid drivetrain definitely coming.

unfounded but would be cool:
-RWD efficiency king like the 3
-front end revision to lose the mustache

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think most of the interior stuff has been pushed out to perhaps coincide with the Plaid drivetrain introduction.

Tesla has somewhat limited resources to do big updates given they have Model Y to deal with and to a lesser degree the Semi, Roadster and pickup.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From the little I've read, I figure the "Plaid" powertrain will be an option with a hefty price tag, it won't be standard. I don't see huge updates coming to the interior, but with some real competition about to hit the street I figure a redo is coming in a couple of years.

2 more years and a million cars more cars hope they will be able to start to build multiple design teams that focus on several models at once.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I could see Tesla wanting to update S and X to the 3's HVAC vent system. But other than that, I don't see any real need for them to replace the dashboard/interior of these older cars. The Model 3's interior was made as simple as it was for two purposes: fewer parts so that costs are kept at a minimum, and so that they can churn out these vehicles at a high rate. Now of course, if they can lower production costs on the S/X, that benefits Tesla, but the high-end cars don't have the price pressures that the Model 3 has. They can keep the price of the S/X at high levels. The dual screens can be viewed as a nice differentiator between the entry-level 3/Y and the high-level S/X. Tesla has already sunk the costs of designing the S/X interiors, and they'd have to recoup the cost of designing a new one. I just don't know if it's worth the effort.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.