Model X not charging

mcm-madison

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hi all,
New on here. I am experiencing weird behavior with my 2018 X: I get to a supercharger, plug in the charging cable and nothing happens. The ring stays unlit. eventually I get a message ”Unable to charge. Charge station not powered. Check power source or try a different station.” When this first happened, I unplugged to move to a other stall, and got a message that I could not drive because the cable was still plugged in and charge door still open. That was not the actual case. I rebooted and that cleared that message. Tried other stalls to charge and didn’t have any luck. Moved to another charging location. No luck there. Took it to a service center they found nothing. Car performed fine after that, but the problem
has reemerged(after supercharging three or four times on my trip and also trickle charging for several hours in a garage). Had to get car out of garage and into chilly weather outside for several hours, before resuming my trip. drove about 20 miles to supercharger and same issue popped up.

Could it be due to the fact that I have parked outside in sub 0°C weather? i Typically park in my gagarage, but while on travel, have not has the chance to do so.

Car is at a different Tesla service location, but they have not been able to identify the cause of the
issue after 2 days.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

many thank!

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐓🦃🦉🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmm, an intermittent issue. Those are always hard to diagnose.

Have you ever had any issues with level-2 charging? I would expect a "charge door state" issue to happen no matter what kind of charging was occurring.

Has there ever been a problem actually supercharging when it does work? That is, does a supercharging session ever slow down or stop prematurely after it has begun?

I'd suggest taking a very close look at the charge port. Use a bright light source. Look for any pins that may be damaged, bent, or dirty. I would suspect that one of the communication pins may not be making good contact. Those would be the blue arrows in the diagram below.

connectors_diagram_a2bb751953f7d9539fc4359196e74f455956d9d3.png

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@mcm-madison, welcome to the forum. That is a strange and troubling issue you are having. No, I have not had anything like that happen. I have many times supercharged when the car was quite cold. My late-year 2017 model X will start at a low charging until it gets the battery warm enough. The winter pre-conditioning changes Tesla made a few years ago also helped a lot.

I did once find an empty supercharging site where 6 stalls were not working, 2 stalls only trickle charged, yet the status was just showing stalls in use rather than out of order. I called to try to notify Tesla of the issue, but was told if there was a SC problem, they would already know. Did I want them to run diagnostics on my car? I declined and went and successfully charged at a SC 20 miles away. But it makes me wonder if there are remote diagnostics they can run at the time you are experiencing the problem that could help.

• Helpful
Reactions: garsh

mcm-madison

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hi all,
New on here. I am experiencing weird behavior with my 2018 X: I get to a supercharger, plug in the charging cable and nothing happens. The ring stays unlit. eventually I get a message ”Unable to charge. Charge station not powered. Check power source or try a different station.” When this first happened, I unplugged to move to a other stall, and got a message that I could not drive because the cable was still plugged in and charge door still open. That was not the actual case. I rebooted and that cleared that message. Tried other stalls to charge and didn’t have any luck. Moved to another charging location. No luck there. Took it to a service center they found nothing. Car performed fine after that, but the problem
has reemerged(after supercharging three or four times on my trip and also trickle charging for several hours in a garage). Had to get car out of garage and into chilly weather outside for several hours, before resuming my trip. drove about 20 miles to supercharger and same issue popped up.

Could it be due to the fact that I have parked outside in sub 0°C weather? i Typically park in my gagarage, but while on travel, have not has the chance to do so.

Car is at a different Tesla service location, but they have not been able to identify the cause of the
issue after 2 days.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

many thank!
While I never got a complete explanation, the fix required that the charging port be replaced. The 12 volt battery was also replaced. Took about 3 days to diagnose and fix the problem. The work was carried out under warranty.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just purchased 2016 Model X 75d and my issue is slow charging at SC.
Takes over an hour to add 100 miles.
What % of charge were you when you plugged in? Was your SCer a 250, 150, 72? How crowded was it? Was your battery cold when you plugged up?

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What % of charge were you when you plugged in? Was your SCer a 250, 150, 72? How crowded was it? Was your battery cold when you plugged up?
Charging a cold battery can be much slower (although, I doubt that's your issue in Port Orange).

I know that the Port Orange SCer is a crowded 150kw location. A 150 is slower than a 250 (obviously); and at a 150, if you share a stall # with another car, e.g. stalls 1A and 1B, then your maximum charge rate can be cut in half. This is not true at a 250kw charger.

Charging the last third of your battery is much, much slower than charger the bottom 2/3s. Generally speaking, charging beyond about 80% at a supercharger is not worth the time involved unless you need it to get to your next charging solution. And supercharging beyond 90% can contribute to battery degradation.

If none of these scenarios explain your issue, you might need to schedule a service visit.

• Helpful
Reactions: iChris93

wesexcellence

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Charging a cold battery can be much slower (although, I doubt that's your issue in Port Orange).

I know that the Port Orange SCer is a crowded 150kw location. A 150 is slower than a 250 (obviously); and at a 150, if you share a stall # with another car, e.g. stalls 1A and 1B, then your maximum charge rate can be cut in half. This is not true at a 250kw charger.

Charging the last third of your battery is much, much slower than charger the bottom 2/3s. Generally speaking, charging beyond about 80% at a supercharger is not worth the time involved unless you need it to get to your next charging solution. And supercharging beyond 90% can contribute to battery degradation.

If none of these scenarios explain your issue, you might need to schedule a service visit.

Attachments

• C8B1FBF7-7857-4A72-9958-B2E68052225C.jpeg
    C8B1FBF7-7857-4A72-9958-B2E68052225C.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 8

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐓🦃🦉🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This was today I took screenshot.
Your battery appears to be somewhere around 80-90% full
Supercharging slows down a LOT as the battery gets full.
Full-speed supercharging only happens in the lower-end of the battery - below 50% SOC.

Reactions: Bigriver