Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter & Model 3 -- does it work?

25K views 92 replies 40 participants last post by  AEDennis 
#1 ·
The Tesla Shop for the Model 3 Charging accessories does not include the Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter. But, it should work, right? Does anyone know for sure?

#5 ·
I have a Model 3 and a Chademo adapter. I tried it at two different brands of Chademo charging stations when I got my car in December, and it didn't work (there were communication errors and the charging session terminated before starting to charge). I called Tesla support, and they acknowledged that the adapter isn't yet supported. No timetable of when it would be...

#6 ·
I think maybe this speaks to a "wait and see" attitude as to what, if any, standard will be established for public charging stations in the US and around the world. It will be interesting how this one plays out. With the Supercharger network in the US there are very few areas that are not accessible to a Tesla. These areas are becoming fewer and fewer as the network is built out. Is Chademo relevant now? Yes, in many areas. Will it be in 2 or 3 years? Maybe not.

Yet another "time will tell" topic in relation to EVs.

Dan

#7 ·
Sorry Dan, I disagree. I think they just simply haven't had time to add the Model S/X Chademo code to the 3 yet. When I received it, my 3 also didn't have timed charging, USB music playback, or the on-screen user manual either. Those features have since been added. I would expect the Chademo adapter support to be on their list of things to add as well. No reason not to, they already have the software written and are already selling the adapter...

#11 ·
I picked up M3 last week. I specifically asked if the Chademo adapter will work. The sales rep had to go ask a tech and the answer was yes it will work. From earlier comments on this bog it seems that this capability may have been added. I am trying to verify on the tech support line and will post the answer.

#12 ·
Well, if it has been added, it hasn't made it into the release notes of the latest software. I've personally checked it when it wasn't working, but haven't checked it lately. I'll check it again when I can....

#21 ·
Reached out to Tesla support on twitter about the CHAdeMO adapter support for the Model 3 and got a generic response:
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Although CHAdeMO charging isn't currently supported on Model 3, we do plan to enable that functionality in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have any dates for this roll out.

I hope you are otherwise enjoying your new Model 3. Thanks for being part of Teslas movement to sustainable transportation!

-Tesla Support
At least its confirmed they are planning to add support. Hope it is soon, we have a CHAdeMO charger at work that I'm dying to take advantage of.

#22 ·
I picked up my Model 3 on 7/29. Chademo does not work.
Is there a fast charging option for Model 3s on the road? If I plan a road trip of 1500 miles - how many times am I going to need to stop and charge and for how long? I will wind up spending most of my "visit time" with my daughter at chargers to get there and back. I didn't expect the charging to take as long as it does - makes it a local car only and not so great for road trips.

#23 ·
I picked up my Model 3 on 7/29. Chademo does not work.
Is there a fast charging option for Model 3s on the road? If I plan a road trip of 1500 miles - how many times am I going to need to stop and charge and for how long? I will wind up spending most of my "visit time" with my daughter at chargers to get there and back. I didn't expect the charging to take as long as it does - makes it a local car only and not so great for road trips.
The car should tell you where there are superchargers along your route, and how long etc you need to charge at those spots to keep going.
Also you can use supercharge.info to find out where they are building more. Or you can use abetterrouteplanner to play around with your trip from your computer.

The supercharger network is pretty amazing the handful of times I've used it so far. Now when they add CHADeMO support you'll have even more options.

Reactions: Kizzy and JWardell
#26 ·
I am not trolling. I reserved my 3 in April 2016, and got to configure it in April 2018 with delivery committed in 3-6 weeks (by 6/20) but 9 days later got an oops email that they were just kidding about 3-6 weeks and it would instead be delivered in July - no date given. I finally picked it up 7/29. I was unable to reach Tesla via FB, the web form, the phone or through their stores. So am I a bit cynical - you bet. Am I disappointed at charger time and availability - a bit but trying to leverage this forum that I just stumbled upon via google search for chademo for model 3. I drive 101 from the Peninsula to Santa Barbara. While they have expanded the network a lot, there are still very few options along 101 south of Gilroy until you hit Santa Barbara.

So Derek - thank you for being nice and for providing additional resources. I did not know of them before your post.

#29 · (Edited)
I am not trolling. I reserved my 3 in April 2016, and got to configure it in April 2018 with delivery committed in 3-6 weeks (by 6/20) but 9 days later got an oops email that they were just kidding about 3-6 weeks and it would instead be delivered in July - no date given. I finally picked it up 7/29. I was unable to reach Tesla via FB, the web form, the phone or through their stores. So am I a bit cynical - you bet. Am I disappointed at charger time and availability - a bit but trying to leverage this forum that I just stumbled upon via google search for chademo for model 3. I drive 101 from the Peninsula to Santa Barbara. While they have expanded the network a lot, there are still very few options along 101 south of Gilroy until you hit Santa Barbara.

So Derek - thank you for being nice and for providing additional resources. I did not know of them before your post.
BTW, I forgot to mention about the Supercharger network: unlike CHAdeMO, which is discordant networks and generally only a small number (or single) charger per site, Superchargers are all on the same network - all autopay. And there's always many stalls at every site, backed by multiple chargers, so you never have to worry about one being down - and in all but the busiest areas, you never have to worry about the site being "occupied". Unlike many CHAdeMO charger owners / operators, Tesla is also very good at maintenance. It's amazing how fast they usually get downed charging stations back up, even after major hurricanes and the like.

Regardless - when you say "The Peninsula" I assume you mean Baja - while there's neither CHAdeMO nor Superchargers on the Mexican side, on the US side there's 18 stations with 260 charging stalls between the border and Santa Barbara (not counting the possibility of taking I-15, which would add even more) - on average, one station every 13 miles. The longest gap without one (which is currently being closed by one under construction and another in permitting) is 47 miles.

#27 ·
Not a problem. There is so much info out there and if you don't spend most of your spare time following it you'll never know all the cool things out there.

I also have found plug share helpful. I actually found a 72 amp Tesla charger down the street from me that is free!

Glad I could help!

#31 ·
While Chademo chargers pale in comparison to Superchargers in number of stalls and locations, I can certainly agree it's time for Tesla to support the Model 3. All Massachusetts rest areas have or are getting Chademo and I see them in most malls as well. I hate telling people Teslas can charge on any electrical connection or charger with one big exception.

#32 ·
I'm looking much more forward to CCS support, since CHAdeMO seems to be on its way out. Also, at least in Europe, CCS support is much easier to add, since we already use a Type 2 connector - just need to update the protocol, add the combo pins, and something to deenergize the combo pins if hooked up to a Tesla supercharger.

It's more of a challenge in the US, of course.

#33 ·
Picked up my Model 3 yesterday, and this may make me get the wall connector faster. I looked this up before and knew it wasn't available so I'm not overly disappointed, but I am very much anticipating the update if it happens before I buy a connector.

I want the adapter since there are 2 free L3 only 5 minutes from my house, with many shops and restaurants nearby. We used to go there with our Leafs.

Supercharging isn't much more than cost at home, but free is better. Also, I wouldn't want to occupy supercharger stalls for local driving, but maybe I shouldn't worry about that? I feel like that's what the L3 chargers around here are for, since they're located far closer to shops. The adapter would pay for itself pretty quickly.

As it is, I'm hoping to leave it connected but not charging (per the "always leave your Tesla connected guideline") at home, and give it to my wife to charge free at work every 4-5 days. Then without the adapter, we'll see if we need the wall connector. We've had Leafs for 6 years and only ever used 120V.

#40 ·
Speaking of Supercharging, i got to try it in my M3 today for the first time and noticed that i got about 70KW on the supercharger, whereas i was getting 100KW on the loaner Model X P90D that i was driving earlier in the day.

Is the M3 limited to 70KW on supercharge? (it seemed to fluctuate between 70/71KW at max). I was at a supercharger with all stalls occupied though, maybe it was current limiting?

#46 ·
There is no way the CHAdeMO adapter would magically start working without a mention in the release notes. I think the earliest it would be turned on for the Model 3 is v9.

My guess is that the reason for the CHAdeMO incompatibility is due to the fact that the Model 3 cars charge money to use the supercharger, and that they haven't gotten the billing stuff set up to work on the supercharger side of things. Thus, they don't want the CHAdeMO adapter accidentally looking like a supercharger to the Model 3 and that confusing billing.

Either that or they don't yet have the UI designed that shows DC charging that isn't supercharging.

I doubt it will require an update to the CHAdeMO adapter itself.

#47 ·
My guess is that the reason for the CHAdeMO incompatibility is due to the fact that the Model 3 cars charge money to use the supercharger, and that they haven't gotten the billing stuff set up to work on the supercharger side of things. Thus, they don't want the CHAdeMO adapter accidentally looking like a supercharger to the Model 3 and that confusing billing.
maybe a good guess, but i don't think it is this. There are Model Ss and Xs that do not have free supercharging and do have the ability to charge with CHAdeMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.