Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter & Model 3 -- does it work?

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My (poorly made) point was that as an alternative to the Supercharger, it doesn't really matter which way the Model 3 goes -- CHAdeMo or CCS, since they are almost always co-located.
The converse is now starting, especially with 350kW DCFCs... Many of the currently deployed ones only support CCS at that power levels... CHAdeMO is not quite there yet...

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm hoping that the old Cademo adapter that is left over from owning an S can be made to work with our new M3. I've only needed it once, but it is nice to have for some areas and although 50KW is no supercharger, it sure beats level II.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that European model 3 uses CSS combo I’m guessing all Model Y’s will use only a CCS combo. Tesla will then make adapters available.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's just hard for people here to understand how you bought the car without knowing one of the main reasons people choose Teslas over other brands (the Supercharger network!) ;) Yet had somehow heard of CHAdeMO? It's just odd, that's all. But, things happen!

Charge rates:

40A 240V AC charger: around 0.75 miles range per minute charging
"50kW" CHAdeMO, when an adapter comes out: should be around ~3 miles range per minute.
Supercharger V2 (the current model, max ~117kW per stall): ~8 miles range per minute charging when below a ~45% state of charge (SoC), give or take. Rate decreases linearly after that.
Supercharger V3 (comes out later this year - speculation is 150-180kW per stall, and it's stated that Model 3 will be able to take full advantage of it): Expect 10-12 miles range per minute charging, although only up to maybe 20-25% SoC, and then linearly decreasing after that, effectively becoming the same as V2 around a ~45% state of charge.

To give you a comparison, the fastest the 2018 Nissan Leaf can use is CHAdeMO:

"50kW" CHAdeMO, before #Rapidgate kicks in: under 3 miles range per minute charging
"50kW" CHAdeMO, after #Rapidgate kicks in: 1.5-2 miles range per minute charging

It's more than a wee bit of difference ;)

I'm curious... care to explain for us how you knew about CHAdeMO yet didn't know about Superchargers? Because I think we're all a bit confused about that :)
Not everyone of us was captivated by the Supercharger network.

I have had my Model 3 for 10mos now and have never used a Supercharger; and, although I certainly did know about Superchargers, they were not a factor in my decision.
My real motivation in buying my Model 3 was the range. Tesla cars were the first (and to date remain the only) cars with significant range. We have a large solar array, so I always charge at home from the solar (using an HPWC, at 48A, 240V, charging at 45mi/h steadily from 10% to 90% SOC), and from home I can go anywhere on the island and get back with no range anxiety -- I have the "first-production" model (LR RWD) and it easily does 330mi (370mi with less enthusiastic driving) if fully charged.
A nice additional benefit is that I don't have to worry about using electrical power produced from oil or coal or any non-renewable or polluting source.

PS. For full disclosure, I should add that there is no supercharger on the Big Island of Hawaii (and apparently no plan to add any), so the choice never existed ;-)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not everyone of us was captivated by the Supercharger network.

...although I certainly did know about Superchargers
Right, but the poster she was responding to asked:
I picked up my Model 3 on 7/29. Chademo does not work.
Is there a fast charging option for Model 3s on the road?
So he - unlike you - had never even heard of supercharging. Karen's comment has nothing to do with being "captivated" by it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Come on guys, who wouldn’t like more charging options. Especially as VW’s charging network comes online with fast ccs and CHAdeMO.
It's 10-20 years away, with a theoretical max of 150kW.

Electrify America does have the benefit of being designed for actual cross-country traveling, which is a first for a non-Tesla fast-charging network. But Tesla has a larger 150kW network TODAY than what they're planning 10-20 years in the future. And Tesla will have a 250kW network in place before then as well. It's hard to get excited about these other fast-charging networks.

https://insideevs.com/volkswagens-electrify-america-to-shut-down-chademo-aspirations/

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Right, but the poster she was responding to asked:

So he - unlike you - had never even heard of supercharging. Karen's comment has nothing to do with being "captivated" by it.
Karen wrote that supercharging was "one of the main reasons people choose Tesla" -- I just wanted to offer a counterpoint that, even if the Supercharger network did not exist, a Tesla would still be a very attractive proposition.

As to the OP, I have to admit it's hard to conceive, but I also note that they never did confirm they had not heard of superchargers; in fact, their response appears to indicate they were asking about charging along a specific route, so it may be that they knew about superchargers, but had not read the manual and so did not know that they could have let the car plan a route with appropriate charging stops.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Almost every Firmware update, I plug the 3 into a DCFC to check to see if it's working yet...

...only the S and X at this very moment (to general release, I don't get beta releases)
have you tried this recently? And do you have the latest FW that started rolling out to your fellow Californians?