Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter & Model 3 -- does it work?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have a new Electrify America station near me and curious which adapters and such would be needed to use it. plus trying to find costs is near impossible
From electrify america’s Site:
In its first ZEV investment cycle, Electrify America will establish a network that includes non-proprietary electric vehicle chargers (CCS, CHAdeMO and J1772 standards) at over 650 community-based sites and nearly 300 highway sites across the country.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, but with a Model 3 software update the adapter could be a simple adapter, without communication translators inside. In such a case, the Model 3 could be said to "speak CHAdeMO" without an expensive adapter.
I don't remember where I saw the teardown of the Chademo adapter, but the beefy processors and electronics insider are certainly doing a lot more than communication translation. Then again it did not have much power electronics/magnetics so I doubt it is doing any kind of power conversion either. Not very clear what the adapter does, or why it is so difficult to make it work on the 3 beyond a VIN range update or something.
Complex or not, this goes in the "why is this taking so long to release" bin along with the all-weather floor mats and roof rack.

Folks, please keep in mind that some areas of the U.S., a CHAdeMO (Charging Hardware Always de-energized Mostly Offline) station is not to be counted on. Thankfully, I never wasted my 450 bucks on the adapter when they were first offered. I attended a ribbon cutting event along with the local guvernment officials a while back where they couldn’t get the darn thing to work even with an electrician on site. As y’all already know, always check the PlugShare recent ratings and always have a back-up plan in place. My $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Folks, please keep in mind that some areas of the U.S., a CHAdeMO (Charging Hardware Always de-energized Mostly Offline) station is not to be counted on. Thankfully, I never wasted my 450 bucks on the adapter when they were first offered. I attended a ribbon cutting event along with the local guvernment officials a while back where they couldn’t get the darn thing to work even with an electrician on site. As y’all already know, always check the PlugShare recent ratings and always have a back-up plan in place. My $.02.
Minus points for your profile pic spreading the (false, and damaging) myth that Musk is a pothead.
Bonus points for your acronym for CHAdeMO ;) I must remember that.

96s46p

Country
Country
I don't remember where I saw the teardown of the Chademo adapter, but the beefy processors and electronics insider are certainly doing a lot more than communication translation. Then again it did not have much power electronics/magnetics so I doubt it is doing any kind of power conversion either. Not very clear what the adapter does, or why it is so difficult to make it work on the 3 beyond a VIN range update or something.
Complex or not, this goes in the "why is this taking so long to release" bin along with the all-weather floor mats and roof rack.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chademo-adapter-tear-down.61109/

It doesn't have that many electronics and they probably use that ti dsp because they put it in everything.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

BlueMeanie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Although I’m pretty sure we would have already heard, but has anyone had success with the CHAdeMO adapter after upgrading to V.9?

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Has anyone tried the one from the S with the 3? I have the S CHAdeMO adapter here in MA if anyone local wants to try it.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone tried the one from the S with the 3? I have the S CHAdeMO adapter here in MA if anyone local wants to try it.
way back, yes. Not sure if anyone has recently though. @AEDennis would probably be the best bet for a tester.
It's been a while since I tested, but using the 3 tomorrow (I was in the S today... and charged CHAdeMO)...

They haven't enabled it yet... So, hoping that I just missed an update that Tesla enabled it.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ms. Newbie Electrick - CHAdeMO worked perfectly for me when we had our Leaf, and would love to be able to use the free CHAdeMO chargers near me with my Model 3 . . .
I recently upgraded from a Leaf to Model 3. Every CHAdeMO plug I came across was connected to a power supply that had both, CHAdeMO an CCS, attached — only one of which could be used at a time. PlugShare seems to corroborate this observation. Only exception I recall was the Nissan dealership, which had
CHAdeMO only, IIRC.

TirianW

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also am used to the LEAF and CHAdeMO, but I didn't upgrade - still own both 2013 LEAFs in addition to the M3. Consequently, the adapter is the only M3 accessory I am still waiting on. Just this past Sunday afternoon, I was in a situation at a travel plaza where the supercharger stalls were full and there was a whole row of CHAdeMO / CCS DCFCs sitting there idle. Now, 50 kw from CHAdeMO is not as nice as 120 kw from a supercharger, but it sure beats 0 kw from a normal parking spot. . .

So once it is available, I will spend the $450 on the adapter - just hurry up and fix the firmware already :)

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's been a while since I tested, but using the 3 tomorrow (I was in the S today... and charged CHAdeMO)...

They haven't enabled it yet... So, hoping that I just missed an update that Tesla enabled it.

Ok... Took the Model 3 to work, got the update...

But BEFORE I did the update, I did a CHAdeMO test...

IMG_20181030_132904
by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Still not supported, but about an hour and a half after charging all day, I got another Firmware update... So, next time.

Dennis

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also am used to the LEAF and CHAdeMO, but I didn't upgrade - still own both 2013 LEAFs in addition to the M3. Consequently, the adapter is the only M3 accessory I am still waiting on. Just this past Sunday afternoon, I was in a situation at a travel plaza where the supercharger stalls were full and there was a whole row of CHAdeMO / CCS DCFCs sitting there idle. Now, 50 kw from CHAdeMO is not as nice as 120 kw from a supercharger, but it sure beats 0 kw from a normal parking spot. . .

So once it is available, I will spend the $450 on the adapter - just hurry up and fix the firmware already :)
My (poorly made) point was that as an alternative to the Supercharger, it doesn't really matter which way the Model 3 goes -- CHAdeMo or CCS, since they are almost always co-located.