Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter & Model 3 -- does it work?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Speaking of Supercharging, i got to try it in my M3 today for the first time and noticed that i got about 70KW on the supercharger, whereas i was getting 100KW on the loaner Model X P90D that i was driving earlier in the day.

Is the M3 limited to 70KW on supercharge? (it seemed to fluctuate between 70/71KW at max). I was at a supercharger with all stalls occupied though, maybe it was current limiting?
No, 70kW is not normal. I suspect you were sharing a charger. Each charger serves two stalls.

Normal is "nearly 120kW" up to 50% SoC.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is the M3 limited to 70KW on supercharge? (it seemed to fluctuate between 70/71KW at max). I was at a supercharger with all stalls occupied though, maybe it was current limiting?
Every pair of supercharging stations shares 135kW. So if both stations have cars charging, the power is split between them.

bpd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Speaking of Supercharging, i got to try it in my M3 today for the first time and noticed that i got about 70KW on the supercharger, whereas i was getting 100KW on the loaner Model X P90D that i was driving earlier in the day.

You were paired with one of the other stalls. I believe the Model 3 max is higher than the X/S. No worries.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This also depends on your battery level. If your battery is already at 80%, you are not going to charge at a high rate. It falls as the battery becomes more charged.

Tell this to my wife who plugging into a supercharger yesterday at 75%, charged to 90%, and let it sit idling for 15 minutes. :mad: While at a supercharger that bills by the minute instead of KWh!

darco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no way the CHAdeMO adapter would magically start working without a mention in the release notes. I think the earliest it would be turned on for the Model 3 is v9.

My guess is that the reason for the CHAdeMO incompatibility is due to the fact that the Model 3 cars charge money to use the supercharger, and that they haven't gotten the billing stuff set up to work on the supercharger side of things. Thus, they don't want the CHAdeMO adapter accidentally looking like a supercharger to the Model 3 and that confusing billing.

Either that or they don't yet have the UI designed that shows DC charging that isn't supercharging.

I doubt it will require an update to the CHAdeMO adapter itself.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My guess is that the reason for the CHAdeMO incompatibility is due to the fact that the Model 3 cars charge money to use the supercharger, and that they haven't gotten the billing stuff set up to work on the supercharger side of things. Thus, they don't want the CHAdeMO adapter accidentally looking like a supercharger to the Model 3 and that confusing billing.
maybe a good guess, but i don't think it is this. There are Model Ss and Xs that do not have free supercharging and do have the ability to charge with CHAdeMO

BlueMeanie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do. I really, really want this capability. Several nearby FREE CHAdeMO stalls near my house, and nice to have options while traveling. It would take awhile to pay for given the low cost of charging, but I'd still buy it if it worked.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I also would love to get the adapter. There are some free cahdemo charges near me too but the main reason is for road trips. It's just another place I can stop and charge. Options are always a good thing!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tell this to my wife who plugging into a supercharger yesterday at 75%, charged to 90%, and let it sit idling for 15 minutes. :mad: While at a supercharger that bills by the minute instead of KWh!
LOL! She probably could have bought gasoline for the same price. But I'm heartened that she is helping defray the costs of running and maintaining Tesla's Supercharger network so give her a big "Thanks" from me!:)

Country
Country
I wonder if the info about a software update for the Model 3 means CHAdeMO charging with an inexpensive adapter. The $450 adapter must translate between the CHadeMO standard and Tesla. A software update could do this in the car.
The physical connection is quite different. You need a hardware adapter that can carry that much current.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The physical connection is quite different. You need a hardware adapter that can carry that much current.
Yes, but with a Model 3 software update the adapter could be a simple adapter, without communication translators inside. In such a case, the Model 3 could be said to "speak CHAdeMO" without an expensive adapter.

Every pair of supercharging stations shares 135kW. So if both stations have cars charging, the power is split between them.
If you are implying a 50-50 split, then no. If you are saying sharing, depending on who plugs in first to a shared stall and depending on that first person's SOC, then yes.

I am a “nut” for battery preservation, so I prefer to pick up the crumbs left behind on a shared stall that is in use.

ChrisHH

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have a new Electrify America station near me and curious which adapters and such would be needed to use it. plus trying to find costs is near impossible