Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter & Model 3 -- does it work?

GKO

Country
Country
The Tesla Shop for the Model 3 Charging accessories does not include the Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter. But, it should work, right? Does anyone know for sure?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does not *currently* work. I think I read somewhere that Tesla is planning a software update for the car to support it.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Model 3 and a Chademo adapter. I tried it at two different brands of Chademo charging stations when I got my car in December, and it didn't work (there were communication errors and the charging session terminated before starting to charge). I called Tesla support, and they acknowledged that the adapter isn't yet supported. No timetable of when it would be...

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have a Model 3 and a Chademo adapter. I tried it at two different brands of Chademo charging stations when I got my car in December, and it didn't work (there were communication errors and the charging session terminated before starting to charge). I called Tesla support, and they acknowledged that the adapter isn't yet supported. No timetable of when it would be...
I think maybe this speaks to a "wait and see" attitude as to what, if any, standard will be established for public charging stations in the US and around the world. It will be interesting how this one plays out. With the Supercharger network in the US there are very few areas that are not accessible to a Tesla. These areas are becoming fewer and fewer as the network is built out. Is Chademo relevant now? Yes, in many areas. Will it be in 2 or 3 years? Maybe not.

Yet another "time will tell" topic in relation to EVs.

Dan

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry Dan, I disagree. I think they just simply haven't had time to add the Model S/X Chademo code to the 3 yet. When I received it, my 3 also didn't have timed charging, USB music playback, or the on-screen user manual either. Those features have since been added. I would expect the Chademo adapter support to be on their list of things to add as well. No reason not to, they already have the software written and are already selling the adapter...

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sorry Dan, I disagree. I think they just simply haven't had time to add the Model S/X Chademo code to the 3 yet. When I received it, my 3 also didn't have timed charging, USB music playback, or the on-screen user manual either. Those features have since been added. I would expect the Chademo adapter support to be on their list of things to add as well. No reason not to, they already have the software written and are already selling the adapter...
You have a point. I guess I was more referring to long term outlook. It will be interesting to see if the industry eventually adopts a single charging standard.

Dan

Jongaud

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla should at least told us if they intend to implement it. It is an important issue for Quebec (Canada) where the chademo/css networks are much more developped than the supercharger network.

blueM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up M3 last week. I specifically asked if the Chademo adapter will work. The sales rep had to go ask a tech and the answer was yes it will work. From earlier comments on this bog it seems that this capability may have been added. I am trying to verify on the tech support line and will post the answer.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up M3 last week. I specifically asked if the Chademo adapter will work. The sales rep had to go ask a tech and the answer was yes it will work. From earlier comments on this bog it seems that this capability may have been added. I am trying to verify on the tech support line and will post the answer.
Well, if it has been added, it hasn't made it into the release notes of the latest software. I've personally checked it when it wasn't working, but haven't checked it lately. I'll check it again when I can....

blueM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called the tech support line and was told it now works. So first the sales guy then confirmed with tech support. I have a friend that has a Chademo, will have to borrow for a final confirmation.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
In Europe CCS is mandatory in any new DCFC, so a Tesla - CCS, preferably 150kW, adapter makes more sense than ChaDeMo.
That requirement is for all public chargers - Tesla chargers are for Tesla owners only so is exempt.
The other issue is that there isn't (currently) a CCS adapter for Tesla.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called the tech support line and was told it now works. So first the sales guy then confirmed with tech support. I have a friend that has a Chademo, will have to borrow for a final confirmation.
If so that is big news, can anyone with chademo adapter confirm it now works with latest Model 3 software update?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
That requirement is for all public chargers - Tesla chargers are for Tesla owners only so is exempt.
The other issue is that there isn't (currently) a CCS adapter for Tesla.
True, yet I agree with @AlexMol that, when it becomes available (not the optimistic & deliberate non use of ‘if’ ;)), it’ll be the first of my list ;)

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
True, yet I agree with @AlexMol that, when it becomes available (not the optimistic & deliberate non use of ‘if’ ;)), it’ll be the first of my list ;)
It certainly would be nice for you European types :D
I seem to remember hearing/reading that Tesla had joined the CCS consortium, I'm assuming they wouldn't do that unless they wanted to make a CCS adapter.