Model S/X/3 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle $300

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my M3.

I have been looking at various charging options and found the above referenced charging cable for sale on the Tesla site for $300. I am aware that one of these comes with the car. I would like another to store at another location where I will frequently charge using 120V.

Do other options exist for charging cables etc rather than paying the prices that Tesla charges?

This reminds of when HDMI cables first came out they were so expensive but today they are all reasonably priced.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yes. You can find inexpensive Duosida 110v/120v EVSEs on ebay for under $160 (link). You'll just need to use the J1772 adapter that was included with your car.
It should probably be noted that those are only 16 amp chargers and have skinny little cords. Don't they take about six times as many hours to charge vs. the Tesla Mobile Connector (assuming you have at least a 40 amp 220v outlet available). That might be acceptable for a Volt or a Leaf, not sure it's a good fit for a car with a 75 kWh pack. I just went through 3 months of 120V charging on my LR Model 3 and it was less than convenient. Yes, it works but I wouldn't want to invest $160 on something so minimal. Also, I think charging at such low levels of power is probably quite a bit less efficient (wastes electricity). Because the overhead of the built-in charger becomes a larger percentage of the power consumed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It should probably be noted that those are only 16 amp chargers...
Take a look at his requirements:
I would like another to store at another location where I will frequently charge using 120V.
Now, maybe he'll eventually decide to upgrade his charging at that secondary location. If so, you could easily hack off the NEMA 5-15 plug on that EVSE and replace it with any 240v plug. It will continue to draw only 16 amps, but at 240 volts, that will get you about 16mph, so not too bad.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country