• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Hello folks my 14 model s85 is giving me issues . The car does not want to go in drive or reverse it is stuck in neutral with no option to put in park . When i press park button it triggers the ebrake as i press the park button and when i let go the park button the ebrake disengages . Any idea to whats going on ??? Did multiple resets including hard resets . It does not go i any gear i have a light tree as well ...see picture . I have tried to boost the car as well 12v battery was replaced 4 months ago Anyone can help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello folks my 14 model s85 is giving me issues . The car does not want to go in drive or reverse it is stuck in neutral with no option to put in park . When i press park button it triggers the ebrake as i press the park button and when i let go the park button the ebrake disengages . Any idea to whats going on ??? Did multiple resets including hard resets . It does not go i any gear i have a light tree as well ...see picture . I have tried to boost the car as well 12v battery was replaced 4 months ago Anyone can help would be greatly appreciated.
A shot in the dark but any chance your 12v battery is low? Can you jump start it or hook it to a charger? I've seen others with similar symptoms.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
battery was replaced 4 months ago
It sounds like one of the terminals on your 12v battery isn't quite attached.

Unfortunately I also saw this video a few days ago, which details someone finding out that the A/C system drain was leaking all over the ABS and airbag computers.

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
A shot in the dark but any chance your 12v battery is low? Can you jump start it or hook it to a charger? I've seen others with similar symptoms.
Hey i have tried to jump start it but same problem . It makes no difference . It was pouring rain today when i came back from a drive and i parked it for 1 hr came back to this issue.. i have 53 miles on main battery ( range ) the frunk did not want to open from remote i had to get it to open from behind front nose.. jumped the wires (inside release button ) to unlock it . I checked all fuses with probe and nothing blown . Do u think its Maybe a faulty relay somewhere ? Appreciate your thoughts

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Unfortunately I also saw this video a few days ago, which details someone finding out that the A/C system drain was leaking all over the ABS and airbag computers.

Rich mentioned it was only because he didn't bother to replace the tray that would stop that leak from entering the electronics...

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey i have tried to jump start it but same problem . It makes no difference . It was pouring rain today when i came back from a drive and i parked it for 1 hr came back to this issue.. i have 53 miles on main battery ( range ) the frunk did not want to open from remote i had to get it to open from behind front nose.. jumped the wires (inside release button ) to unlock it . I checked all fuses with probe and nothing blown . Do u think its Maybe a faulty relay somewhere ? Appreciate your thoughts
Not really sure. Really sounds like a low voltage (can you measure your voltage away from the battery, maybe in the lighter socket?) or some component is failed and bringing down the network.

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S

Thank you soo much thats exactly whats happening to my s85 i will look at the parking brakes tomorrow i think there is water in either the parking brake connectors or in the same area by the air bag module . I will update once i check . Anything else i need to check as well ?

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Not really sure. Really sounds like a low voltage (can you measure your voltage away from the battery, maybe in the lighter socket?) or some component is failed and bringing down the network.
I will measure volts from cigarette lighter socket and post results of the voltage in the morning .

orekart

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will measure volts from cigarette lighter socket and post results of the voltage in the morning .
What does the output of the DC-DC converter have to do with the 12V battery?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What does the output of the DC-DC converter have to do with the 12V battery?
They should be connected together, the DC-DC creates ~15V from the high voltage battery and charges the 12V battery, however its output will be shut off in several situations including if the car thinks the 12v battery is bad.

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Today i took the battery out (painfull) the battery is reading 12.60v and i did test it on the load tester for 10 seconds it stayed steady at 400cca i took out complete center console as well to look for moisture or leaky a/c hose but nothing was showing signs of water or moisture . Im just soo puzzled at this point :((( do u think it could be a bad relay ?

Attachments

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I looked up the standard Model S battery. It's rated for 600 CCA, and should be 13.5 to 13.8 volts when full. Your battery is weak.

It might also be loose terminals, as that could both cause errors, and prevent the battery from charging, by limiting the current that can go through.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You tested the battery out of the car, correct? SO there is no loads on it at all...best case. I would expect it to measure 13+V when powering the car. That 12v could be dropping to 10 when trying to shift into gear etc. I still would suggest trying to jump or swap with another 12v battery if you have one

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
You tested the battery out of the car, correct? SO there is no loads on it at all...best case. I would expect it to measure 13+V when powering the car. That 12v could be dropping to 10 when trying to shift into gear etc. I still would suggest trying to jump or swap with another 12v battery if you have one
Solved. Spent all day found a broken corroded ground bolt. ( stupid tesla could have done a better job like seriously ) put a self tapping screw to and secured the grounds .. i also got the battery replaced under warranty thanks alot for all your support guys God bless !!! Somthing soo stupid made me take the whole car apart ..

Attachments

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Another issue i have with my s85 is that my a/c does not work any thoughts ? Checked gas it seemed ok on pressure . I drained it tried to refill it . Seems like the compressor does not want to open up and take more Freon to pressurize the high side . Any ideas where to look for the relay or fuse ? Can i test the compressor ? Some how ?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Solved. Spent all day found a broken corroded ground bolt. ( stupid tesla could have done a better job like seriously ) put a self tapping screw to and secured the grounds .. i also got the battery replaced under warranty thanks alot for all your support guys God bless !!! Somthing soo stupid made me take the whole car apart ..
Wow, any particular reason why that bolt would be corroded? That happened to Rich thanks to his coolant leaking but that doesn't look like a spot that would be vulnerable to anything in particular. (Is that by the strut tower?)

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Not really it is away from all the water and its inside the frunk area the ground is located by the front left frame rail close to the coolant pumps. It almost seems like tesla did a very poor job in grounding those wires... now im dealing with dead a/c .. Any suggestions ?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There isn’t enough detail to diagnose the A/C - how are the pressures different from normal? Is the evaporator colder than ambient? Is the condenser warmer than ambient?

Ak85

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
The a/c was reading about 60psi cold side and when i tried to inject gas it did not go in and the high side is at 100psi . When i turn on the a/c i dont hear the compressor turn on ? I do know im missing the front ambient temperature sensor . Does that have anything to dp with the compressor ? Or the compressor is dead ?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
According to this R-134a troubleshooting page:

http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

While that chart might not work for Teslas, 60 psi possibly being way too much for the low side would make sense as to why it wouldn't take any more gas. It might also explain why the compressor won't switch on - it could be unable to start with that much pressure, or it could have a pressure switch to protect the compressor from damage.

At this point you're probably better off seeing if you can find a shop to recover all of the R134a and refill refrigerant and oil to spec printed on the label inside the frunk. It's minimal risk to see if you can get the compressor to start. If not, there is probably a high-voltage fuse close to it. Though if it blew that, it could be internally damaged.