Model 3's Non-Leather Steering Wheel

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After repeated emails and unanswered phone calls, I was finally able to speak to someone at Tesla today about the material used to make the steering wheel on my order. I was told that the current VIN assigned to my order was removed, indicating that the car I ordered did indeed have a leather steering wheel. (My salesperson did this without updating me on the order’s status.) I’ll have to — gladly — wait weeks for a new order with the “100% leather-free” interior, including a vegan steering wheel.

PS The lack of transparency, for many things, not just the steering wheel issue, at Tesla sales is atrocious!

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, I had mine changed.

It was $602 + tax but I had noticed some wear at the folds of the original steering wheel and figured, while I had it in for other stuff and a little economic stimulus couldn't hurt Tesla (just got my tax refund so spend, save, or donate was on my mind). I kept the original in case I ever have issues or decide to sell the car and the buyer wants leather (or I want to transfer the vegan wheel to new car if it's another pre-dater).

Gotta say, it's a pretty nice steering wheel. My initial thought was that it was hard plastic like my old Integra but it definitely has enough give to make me think it is a wrap. That said, while the circumference stitching may or may not be real, the 2 and 10 seams appear to be simulated. It really does feel good and has some texture which, while I fear may trap dirt, keeps it from feeling slick like the leather did right after I cleaned it.

Here's hoping it wears well (if not better than the original). Didn't save any animals or reduce grazing lands with this swap out but I feel a little better about not touching leather; next comes shoes and belts.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if there are any cattle raised for leather? I had assumed all leather is the leftover from meat harvesting, disease, and old age and therefore a by-product that would require disposal. No?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if there are any cattle raised for leather? I had assumed all leather is the leftover from meat harvesting, disease, and old age and therefore a by-product that would require disposal. No?
I don’t think it much matters to vegans as they do not eat the meat either.