Model 3's Non-Leather Steering Wheel

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are sensors in the wheel leather to know when your hands are on the wheel for EAP. I know even if my hands are on the wheel lightly, I get warnings. I have to grip a bit tigher. I would be very careful about having a third party touching it.
This is not the case. The sensor detects torque. So it has to feel you resisting it rather than gripping it.

Last edited:

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is not the case. The sensor detects torque. So you it has to feel you resisting it rather than gripping it.
Interesting. When the touchscreen starts the blue flashing, I gripped a bit tighter and it stops.

So I am on a perfectly straight road and have to move the wheel? It then disengages. Takes very little for it to disengage.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. When the touchscreen starts the blue flashing, I gripped a bit tighter and it stops.

So I am on a perfectly straight road and have to move the wheel? It then disengages. Takes very little for it to disengage.
The little bit of torque you add by squeezing it is enough. ;)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I am on a perfectly straight road and have to move the wheel?
The wheel doesn't need to move. As you say, moving it will disengage autopilot. It just needs to detect you giving it just a bit of rotational force. Your act of gripping it is probably doing it by accident. Others who just "grip harder" sometimes don't get detected.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a follow up conversation with a service advisor. My options are to cancel and reorder when the non-leather wheel is an option (fun fact, the adhesive for it will include an egg ingredient, so let's call it a vegetarian steering wheel), or accept delivery with the leather wheel (when my order comes up).

I will continue to seek additional options.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a follow up conversation with a service advisor. My options are to cancel and reorder when the non-leather wheel is an option (fun fact, the adhesive for it will include an egg ingredient, so let's call it a vegetarian steering wheel), or accept delivery with the leather wheel (when my order comes up).

I am asking this because I don't know... do many adhesives contain egg ingredients?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Vegetarian is fine for me, but I feel bad for people who are vegans.

There's no way that I'm going to drive around every day clutching onto a dead animal's skin. At least they have plenty of time to get this sorted before they get to me.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I just spoke with my delivery advisor and she said it's no problem at all to release the car they have assigned to me and reschedule for a later date. I don't know how far out you can push it, but I think we'll reschedule for a month from now and see if anything changes in the meantime.

Now I just have to click Send on the email that says release my Model 3... This is harder than I thought!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are sensors in the wheel leather to know when your hands are on the wheel for EAP. I know even if my hands are on the wheel lightly, I get warnings. I have to grip a bit tigher. I would be very careful about having a third party touching it.
it records the torque on the wheel, not the pressure from your hand squeezing the wheel

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Kizzy, I see that you now have delivery scheduled. Congrats! Just curious if your delivery advisor provided any update on the availability of a non-leather wheel. I'm assuming the answer is still leather only.

Also, I did see a post on TMC where someone asked about it while on a test drive. Turns out the employee was vegan and forwarded the shareholders meeting video to their district manager. The response back was that the non-leather option should be available in early 2019. However, we all know how much misinformation is out there, so I don't put a lot of faith in this one.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Kizzy, I see that you now have delivery scheduled. Congrats! Just curious if your delivery advisor provided any update on the availability of a non-leather wheel. I'm assuming the answer is still leather only.

Also, I did see a post on TMC where someone asked about it while on a test drive. Turns out the employee was vegan and forwarded the shareholders meeting video to their district manager. The response back was that the non-leather option should be available in early 2019. However, we all know how much misinformation is out there, so I don't put a lot of faith in this one.
I have not had contact with my delivery advisor yet.

My hope at this point is to see about getting a wheel from service ahead of time to be wrapped in an alternative material.

Early 2019 sounds semi-definite, but yeah, who knows. Thanks for sharing that information.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is very helpful and, must say, well considered by Chanel. Most wouldn't think about the adhesives when answering that question.

Thanks for asking it!
Unfortunately, as with many sales advisors at Tesla, her considered answer is wrong, at least for now...
Still, I am very pleased that Tesla no longer uses leather seating and I must say that their vegan seat material is far better than leather or cloth. The seats, of course use a hundred times more material than the steering wheel, so that's the major step.
Given how good their vegan material is, I am surprised they are not using it (or some variant of it) on the steering wheel, but I assume there are good reasons -- the pattern of use is very different after all.
I've been a strict vegetarian for 40 years now (but not vegan: I could not do without dairy products), so it's gratifying to see that progressive companies are moving away from indiscriminate use of animals.

Country
Country
My Model 3 Midrange was made Dec 2018.
Tesla customer support emailed me Mar 5 saying "The steering wheel is wrapped with real leather. The center console is made from the polyurethane."