Model 3 YouTube test drives videos

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • Please post your personal videos into a single thread to keep things organized. Thanks

2170pwr

Country
Country
I personally can't wait to see the inevitable flood of Test Drives/Hands-on reviews that will likely be coming in the next month as Model 3's "in the wild" will increase from the 100's to the 1000's. We will likely need a dedicated video reviews thread.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Folks though the original post/video has been removed, suggest we keep thread alive for future instances, bound to increase over the next few months!! Exciting times!! :)

2170pwr

Country
Country
screen-shot-2017-09-06-at-2-31-33-pm-png.3182

Not sure why YouTube took down this video. Shame, it was nice to hear the thoughts of someone that got to test drive the Model 3. If this was taken down due to Tesla requests
(i have no idea if this is the case) it seems really silly to me at this point.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The worst part about this video was that he got to drive the Model 3, and seemingly got test anything he wanted, but yet he never mentions what the steering wheel controls do in normal driving situations. How is it possible that so many people have Model 3s and more people are getting test drives every day but we still don't have the answer to the fundamental question "Can you control the volume from the steering wheel?". I mean really...

Country
Country
His references to "heads up display" threw me off a little. Otherwise, it was nice to hear some good feedback about the car: roominess, ride & performance, luxuriousness, "best car in its class", etc.

2170pwr

Country
Country
His references to "heads up display" threw me off a little. Otherwise, it was nice to hear some good feedback about the car: roominess, ride & performance, luxuriousness, "best car in its class", etc.
Yeah when he said "head up display" what her really meant was binnacle.

His point was that removal of the binnacle allowed unobstructed visibility of the road and due to the high placement of the center screen the speed was easy to see in his peripheral vision. Good to hear from someone like him, who on prior videos expressed concerns that the Model 3 lacked a 2nd screen (but obvious to most of us, even without a test drive).

My guess the video was taken down voluntarily because Tesla likely contacted him (or whoever invited him to the test drive) and let them know this was suppose to be an employee test drive event not a press event.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The worst part about this video was that he got to drive the Model 3, and seemingly got test anything he wanted, but yet he never mentions what the steering wheel controls do in normal driving situations. How is it possible that so many people have Model 3s and more people are getting test drives every day but we still don't have the answer to the fundamental question "Can you control the volume from the steering wheel?". I mean really...
Couldn't agree more. It's driving me so nuts that not a single person has been able to address the questions about the steering wheel controls! Show an example of going to media and adjusting volume, channels and inputs! What's so hard about that? If I was somehow lucky enough to get to sit behind the wheel, that's the first thing I would try.

As for the video... did anyone get a copy of it before it got taken down? :p

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
View attachment 3182
Not sure why YouTube took down this video. Shame, it was nice to hear the thoughts of someone that got to test drive the Model 3. If this was taken down due to Tesla requests
(i have no idea if this is the case) it seems really silly to me at this point.
My understanding is Alex took down the video himself.
(...)My guess the video was taken down voluntarily because Tesla likely contacted him (or whoever invited him to the test drive) and let them know this was suppose to be an employee test drive event not a press event.
That is the most likely reason. I asked him last night directly on Teslarati where he has posted the same video (then removed it...) yet got no answer yet.

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
He just told us the same things we already knew.
No software how-to. No AP stuff, no steering wheel stuff, no context menu stuff, the only thing new was his thing with the mobile phone holder, which I think is good as you should not look at your phone while driving anyways and for calls you have hands free...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My understanding is Alex took down the video himself.
Interesting. The reaction to the video on reddit was pretty negative with most concentrating more on his superiority attitude as an S owner over future 3 owners than any actual information on the car (didn’t look to see if the YouTube comments were similar). Wonder if the reaction also was part of his reasoning to remove it.
Looked for the reddit thread last night and again just now and can’t find it, so assume it was removed when the video link died.

Country
Country
Interesting. The reaction to the video on reddit was pretty negative with most concentrating more on his superiority attitude as an S owner over future 3 owners than any actual information on the car (didn’t look to see if the YouTube comments were similar). Wonder if the reaction also was part of his reasoning to remove it.
Looked for the reddit thread last night and again just now and can’t find it, so assume it was removed when the video link died.
Truly surprised by this. I didn't find it offensive at all. It was an honest & informative review which I watched multiple times. I feel bad for the guy getting a backlash for providing a rare inside look at the Model 3.

2170pwr

Country
Country
That is an unfortunate response on reddit (but not unusual for reddit). I didn't see him as having a superiority attitude at all. I found it a positive review without being too fan-boyish. Why do people get so defensive when someone points out that their will be necessary feature differences between a $40-60 Model 3 and a $80-120 Model S and that as an S owner he would be upset if their wasn't?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is an unfortunate response on reddit (but not unusual for reddit). I didn't see him as having a superiority attitude at all. I found it a positive review without being too fan-boyish. Why do people get so defensive when someone points out that their will be necessary feature differences between a $40-60 Model 3 and a $80-120 Model S and that as an S owner he would be upset if their wasn't?
I actually watched the video prior to seeing the Reddit comments and was totally turned off by his comments, so was not surprised to see the reaction on reddit.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I am always excited to hear the impressions of each person who has been inside a Model 3, there was nothing new stated in this video that we haven't already heard. It's the same reason why I think I watched a dozen videos from those going on the announcement night test drives. No single video had much new information, but collectively there were a lot of details.

He did confirm that the speed display is very easy to see--just to the right of the driver's right hand instead of just to the left if it were in a binnacle. Too many people have false concerns with this issue.
He also confirmed that the lack of binnacle gives an impressive view of the road in front of you, with no big hood blocking your view as well. (The opposite of my growing up with Ford Crown Vics with hoods that go fore miles...)
He also mentioned that he felt the suspension and handling were very sporty, more than he expected. That's very good news (to me) especially coming from someone who drives an S. That shows Tesla really did target every detail of the BMW 3 series.
But there were no details or new bits. I wonder if he really drove it, or if so it was for a very short time. Only a few large impressions confirming what we have heard elsewhere.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
he also said the interior felt as roomie, if not roomier, than the Model S while being just slightly narrower.
said he sat in both the front and back seats.
Also the trunk was much larger than he expected. frunk smaller than the Model S

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Update: no response from Alex yet on Teslarati on why he took it down everywhere. ;)