• Total voters

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Steve L who took delivery in Toronto (the first one, see my video) didn't order autopilot.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I could see someone skipping EAP if they rarely went on the highway, because right now that's where it's most valuable.
Several types of people should seriously consider it:

1. Anyone that spends a fair amount of time on the freeway in bad traffic
2. Anyone who does a lot of long freeway driving, trips
3. Anyone who is slow to react on the freeway, has depth perception, night vision, or other eyesight issues and needs assistance
4. Anyone who can afford $5000 and wants to experience working with a machine learning product

My two reasons are #3 (future age-related issues) and #4.

Machine learning will be the most important and transformative technology of our lifetimes. So while $5000 is very expensive, it's a chance to have early hands-on exposure to one application of it.

We made a family decision to never scrimp on tech and tools. By that, I mean that while we might think long and hard about taking an expensive vacation or buying a fancier house, we always spend on anything tool-related, like a membership to the local Tech Shop, computers, and test equipment. Although it's a bit of a stretch, I kinda lump EAP in this category, since I've been boring the kids with talks about machine learning for a long time now, and I thought it important to walk the walk after talking the talk. And it's beginning to pay off, as my daughter in college is joining a research project this summer that uses machine learning for protein modeling.

But I totally get that $5000 is a lot to pay for a function that has a clear work-around (driving yourself).

DannyB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't elect to buy the AutoPilot. Way too much money ($6600 Canadian) for something that, in my opinion, has killed several people. Also most of my driving is in the city so I wouldn't use it much. Also, from what I've seen and read, it's too glitchy right now to be considered reliable. Even Ben Sullins (youtube) said he doesn't think it's worth it. He only got it to do youtube videos.

If and when it becomes very reliable, I will probably be trading in the Model 3 for an EV SUV anyways. Maybe the Model Y, Ford EV SUV in 2020, or something else. Also, at this point, I'm not convinced the Model 3 has the necessary sensors and fast enough computer to properly handle all the demands of a true AutoPilot system (i.e. not stopping for a parked truck at a red light, hitting a white trailer crossing the road, driving into the cement highway divider, etc.). If they manage to work out all the issues with AutoPilot I suspect the price will drop substantially.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't elect to buy the AutoPilot. Way too much money ($6600 Canadian) for something that, in my opinion, has killed several people.
It is so frustrating seeing comments like this. 40,000 people die every year on US roads due mostly to human drivers. If all cars suddenly had AP overnight, and that rate dropped from 40,000 to 1,000, all you would hear is how Autopilot killed 1000 people. *sigh*

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@DannyB sounds like for your use case (mostly city driving) AP wouldn't be very useful indeed so, agree, probably not worth the money for you and better to wait for a true FSD system.

However, in my opinion and experience, AP has been VERY reliable when used under the right conditions/situations. The examples you gave above are very unfortunate indeed but most of them could have been prevented by the driver paying attention and knowing the limits of the system and the vehicle.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
We have had a Model X for over a year with auto-pilot. There was no way I was going to order a Model 3 without it. Highway driving is much less stressful when I can let the car handle the steering and speed with me supervising and ready to take over when necessary.

The important thing for everybody to remember is that auto-pilot is NOT a self-driving feature. The driver still has to pay attention and is still responsible for a safe trip. Having read about all the crashes involving auto-pilot it seems to me that driver attention and reasonable caution would have prevented all of them.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't elect to buy the AutoPilot. Way too much money ($6600 Canadian) for something that, in my opinion, has killed several people. Also most of my driving is in the city so I wouldn't use it much. Also, from what I've seen and read, it's too glitchy right now to be considered reliable. Even Ben Sullins (youtube) said he doesn't think it's worth it. He only got it to do youtube videos.

If and when it becomes very reliable, I will probably be trading in the Model 3 for an EV SUV anyways. Maybe the Model Y, Ford EV SUV in 2020, or something else. Also, at this point, I'm not convinced the Model 3 has the necessary sensors and fast enough computer to properly handle all the demands of a true AutoPilot system (i.e. not stopping for a parked truck at a red light, hitting a white trailer crossing the road, driving into the cement highway divider, etc.). If they manage to work out all the issues with AutoPilot I suspect the price will drop substantially.
This sounds like the headline buzzword effect. It’s proven to be considerably safer than a human driver. It’s all about using it responsibly. I use it everyday and wouldn’t go a day without it (in traffic).

JMart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We didn't get EAP mostly for the cost. Even though it's the most affordable Tesla yet, it's still twice what we've ever spent on a car. Also, I rarely even use cruise control. If I have to pay attention I'll just drive it. Besides, this car is AMAZING to drive! Why would I want to let it take over!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I have to pay attention I'll just drive it. Besides, this car is AMAZING to drive! Why would I want to let it take over!
The simple answer to this is that sitting in 5-30 MPH speeds in rush hour traffic on the highway isn't "fun" or "amazing" driving. That's where autopilot excels and essentially that's what it's meant for.

Anyone that has a long commute (especially with traffic) and/or takes road trips can benefit from the feature.

Anyone that does mostly city driving or doesn't really sit in traffic does not necessarily have a need for it.

I can tell you I never previously used cruise control. To clarify though, I never had Traffic Aware Cruise Control ("TACC"), which is a vastly different experience from having a car that maintains speed and travel distance as well as holding it's lane.

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't buy it because of cost (had to cap the price at some point) and the fact that it isn't advanced enough. However, I'm hoping to purchase it at some future date.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Surprised to see the results thus far, ~40% skipped the autopilot feature. From the owners input here, seems that it is mostly due to cost, which does not surprise me. It is quite an expensive feature, especially for a vehicle intended for the "mass market" and touted as a $35k car..

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is so frustrating seeing comments like this. 40,000 people die every year on US roads due mostly to human drivers. If all cars suddenly had AP overnight, and that rate dropped from 40,000 to 1,000, all you would hear is how Autopilot killed 1000 people. *sigh*
Less than 20 people killed using AP! More die crossing streets in LA

Surprised to see the results thus far, ~40% skipped the autopilot feature. From the owners input here, seems that it is mostly due to cost, which does not surprise me. It is quite an expensive feature, especially for a vehicle intended for the "mass market" and touted as a $35k car..
Yes. Tesla asks ridiculous money for level2 autonomy feature.
BMW asks 1100€ for adaptive cruise control, hands always on the wheel.
Nissan asks 2000€ for higher trim level, that includes self-steering that is practically on par with today's Teslas.
But that package has more extra features like better interior trim, BOSE sound system, signature LED headlights.
5000$ is more than twice as much as other manufacturers ask for similar feature -- feature which requires hands on the wheel.

S/X customers care less about money. But that is not true with Model 3 customers. I will not pay 5000$ for adaptive cruise control
that allows short hands-off experience. Not even 3500$. If it actually was Level 3-4, maybe. But it clearly isn't. And has never been.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
......, in my opinion, has killed several people. .....
Would you elaborate on this, I do note you said it was your opinion, which everyone is entitled to, but haven't most every one of the accidents proven the driver was chosing to ignore his car and was not doing what Tesla said to do which is to remain aware and in control. Are you really blaming Autopilot? Standard cruise which has been available for 40 to 50 years will kill you too if you choose not to disengage it or take over as you exit the highway or approach an intersection or come up on cars going slower in front of you.