Model 3 with Kids

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

byee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome! So what's the verdict? Hopefully your wife is happy with the new ride.
The safety and the ability to stop pumping emissions into the air and go full electric made the Model 3 stand out a lot to us, all the gadgetry is really icing on the cake (but what I really get into as well). Also had to move on to a 4 door and get rid of my bmw 328i coupe I got before we met, although many have been surprised with how much cargo space it had! all in all it looks like everyone won! Took the family out in it for the first time today and even our 7 month old seemed to enjoy it, I think she has the best view from the back with the rear facing car seat!

SY1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The safety and the ability to stop pumping emissions into the air and go full electric made the Model 3 stand out a lot to us, all the gadgetry is really icing on the cake (but what I really get into as well). Also had to move on to a 4 door and get rid of my bmw 328i coupe I got before we met, although many have been surprised with how much cargo space it had! all in all it looks like everyone won! Took the family out in it for the first time today and even our 7 month old seemed to enjoy it, I think she has the best view from the back with the rear facing car seat!
That's awesome. Glad to hear it all worked out and looks like these bulky strollers fit fine.

Livonia

Country
Country
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the Uppababy Vista would fit comfortably in the M3 trunk? Reason I am asking is because 1) my wife and I have a baby on the way in about 4 weeks and 2) I confirmed my M3 order about a month ago. Currently, getting stomach pains wondering if the storage will be enough. I am comfortable from the other threads that a car seat will fit comfortably in the back. Any reassurance you can provide would be much appreciated. :)
I can fit the vista and extra seat in the trunk. Call me impressed.

Country
Country
I have two girls on the smaller size (10 and 13) and another 19 month old who will probably be 2 by the time I get my car. Is it reasonable to think that a rear facing Diono Radian in the middle will work with the other two girls on the sides?

I would love to see this setup, or hear from those with any experience, as to whether its feasible and looks comfortable.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New dad here...practical question: has anyone tried fitting a stroller in the trunk? Not talking about the tiny umbrella type, but specifically the Bugaboo Chameleon or something that size. If anyone has pics of how much space that takes in the trunk would really appreciate it!

Non-owner, reserved the day after launch online in CA, expecting mid-2018 delivery for the SR.
I would like to know if you received your Model 3 and if so does the Bugaboo Chameleon fit in the trunk? Important questions thank you...

jeeves3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For sure you have to use the seatbelts, we have 2 kids age 2 and 4 (and a 3rd now on the way) so I have been pre-preparing to fit all 3 when the time comes. Using the latch there was 0 chance of fitting 3 across, with the seat belt and narrow car seats it worked much better. My current config is 2 diono's (one rear, one forward facing). And by the time the baby comes it will be 2 forward diono's and one rear facing infant seat. Just today I tried to fit a 3rd carseat in and it fit with a little bit of jenga. I snapped some pics to show (even though this wont be what I end up actually using- I just wanted to prove to myself that it would work). This is just a much larger car seat from my wifes minivan that managed to fit in with both diono's- so I am not worried at all anymore about getting a 3rd seat to fit. View attachment 11613 View attachment 11614
For the rearfacing Diono, is the foam an angle adjuster? Did you need an angle adjuster to allow enough room for a person to sit in the front passenger seat?

Country
Country
For the rearfacing Diono, is the foam an angle adjuster? Did you need an angle adjuster to allow enough room for a person to sit in the front passenger seat?
As someone who is 6’2 my answer is yes. The seat is behind the driver seat. We have the angle adjuster and it makes a huge difference. My wife is 5’3 and she could probably fit tightly without the angle adjuster.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got chicco car seats (4 year old twins). the car seats when latched partially block the buckle. It's a total PITA. I have 2 complaints about the model 3. That issue with the car seats and the crap infotainment setup. Other than that it's the greatest car ever. I do like the idea of the buckle extender I'll try that. We've put an adult between the car seats in the back. It's doable but a tight fit depending on butt-size of the adult. I haven't tried putting a kid in the middle position.

BW984

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With a TM3 and a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid at the house our 4 kids are growing up where EVs are the norm and not the exception. To them all cars plug in at night, just like phones and ipads, and they hate going to the gas station due to the smell of the fumes. Today my 6yr came home with a story about our TM3 "Red Ruby", it took quite a bit effort to decode his table of contents but it's pretty funny to see his perspective on dad's car.

1. It runs on battery
  2. It has a squishy cuten (whoopie cushion)
  3. It can turn into santa
  4. It can let you be on Mars
  5. The squish cuten has 15 sounds.
  6. It might go fast (it does!)

photo-mar-18-7-01-54-pm-jpg.23503

Does anybody else have good stories on young kids perspectives on growing up with an EV?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's hilarious, @BW984!

Does anybody else have good stories on young kids perspectives on growing up with an EV?
We brought my son home from the hospital in a Volt, took him to daycare in an e-Golf, and now he gets picked up from preschool in a Model 3 (his favorite by a huge margin, naturally). When he visits grandma and grandpa, he has noted that one of their cars plugs in and "dances to Christmas music". And he knows that his mom's Subaru Outback runs on gasoline ("I don't like smell!"), but hopefully we can fix that in a couple of years... :cool:

It's funny (yet not surprising) how the kids gravitate to the Easter Eggs. At pickup, my son walks right past his booster seat and climbs right up to the touchscreen. He knows exactly where everything is, and always wants to "put it in a mode". Needless to say, fart mode is the most common selection... and oddly, he calls it "the mochi", because I guess he'd eaten a mochi right before seeing the whoopie cushion for the first time??? o_O Recently, he has discovered that "you can have the mochi on Mars". :rocket:

More to your original question, though, I'm kinda wondering how "normal" he thinks EVs are... I'll have to pick his brain tomorrow! In between mochi-sounds, of course.

Vendacious

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My kids also jump into the front and get on the screen the second we get to the car. Favorites include santa mode, drawing pictures on the screen, fart sounds, and endlessly pushing > to skip songs on the streaming station until finding exactly the one they want. For some reason Mars isn't appealing to them.