Model 3 with Kids

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I don’t have the answer to your question, but just wanted to throw out a note that child size is a bigger factor in car seat than age. The recommendation is to keep them in a car seat as long as possible until their size pushes through the upper limits.

To that end my 5 year old is still in her car seat though we’re closing in on the next step as well.
My girls are petite so we had them in car seats until about 9. My mother-in-law kids because my wife was so small that she probably needed to be in a car seat until 15. She is 5'0" tall and was 105 pounds when we got married. My oldest daughter is also the same way 5'0" tall and just over 100 pounds (she is going to be 15 soon).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I found a new problem with kids in Tesla's. We have boosters that latch into place. The booster still requires use of the normal seatbelt. The problem with my car is with the booster latched it partially covers the actual seat belt buckle. So it is very difficult for my 6 year old to buckle himself. He can manage but I have to keep the booster a little lose or he can't shift it around enough to get it buckled. Also I have it on a towel so that helps him slide it around a bit.

With that said my car is in the shop now and I have a Model S with cream next gen seats and if the booster is latched the bucket in the back seat directs the booster to directly cover the buckle. It is impossible for him to get the seat belt buckled. I have to actually pull the booster about 4 inches out, then buckle the seatbelt behind the booster, and then slide the booster back. I don't have the booster latched in because with the latch I cannot get the seatbelt buckled.
you can get these in various lengths to make it much easier for the kids to get to the buckle

maybe not relevant to the type of booster you are using, but I thought most were intended to sit loose on the seat and not be fastened to the LATCH connectors...

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
you can get these in various lengths to make it much easier for the kids to get to the buckle

maybe not relevant to the type of booster you are using, but I thought most were intended to sit loose on the seat and not be fastened to the LATCH connectors...
Thanks I'll check those out. Part of me worries that adding an extension could compromise the safety of the seat. Does anyone else use these?

Also we have a couple free moving boosters that we throw in people's cars when they take our kids. So I have been using that in the loaner but the bucket in the seat cradles the seat in such a way that he still can't buckle. The one in my car (I forgot to take it out when they got my car and I don't want to drive all the way up there to get it because I am lazy) has the latches. It is a high end one so I am guessing it is intended to be used with the latch system or it wouldn't have it. I'll have to check though because it has a removable back but my son grew out of the back so we took that part off.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks I'll check those out. Part of me worries that adding an extension could compromise the safety of the seat. Does anyone else use these?
make sure to check the size of the buckle on the 3, I just randomly did a quick search on amazon and don't know which is the correct tongue size.
for safety, It seems reasonable that it would be closer to spec to extend the buckle, than have the belt/latch pulled under the booster and needing to shift or tweak the booster's placement every time it's used. but probably worth it to stop at your local fire department and run it past them.

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Going to bump an old thread here. How is the ease of getting the car seat out? How do rear facing seats work? Any limitation of having two car seats in there?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since there are more owners now I also wanted to ask a few more questions. I have a 4 and a 6 year old, they are currently in car seats, it is ok with one in center one and one on the side in our Accord with another adult on the other side. Any owners out there have this setup, any car seat that will work? Or if I have to plan for booster seat for the older one, only concern is the younger one may not be willing to get in a car seat if her sister is in a booster.
Anyone can share a 2 car seat setup with adult seating space in the rear seat photo? Thanks.

Country
Country
Since there are more owners now I also wanted to ask a few more questions. I have a 4 and a 6 year old, they are currently in car seats, it is ok with one in center one and one on the side in our Accord with another adult on the other side. Any owners out there have this setup, any car seat that will work? Or if I have to plan for booster seat for the older one, only concern is the younger one may not be willing to get in a car seat if her sister is in a booster.
Anyone can share a 2 car seat setup with adult seating space in the rear seat photo? Thanks.
Here are a couple videos showing three car seats in the back (I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but it may help). In the second video, the man says he purchased particular seats that were skinny enough to fit:

Also, I purchased this booster seat for my Model 3. I saw it posted on Facebook as being skinnier in the buckle area, which has been reported to be a problem with normal boosters (they're so wide they cover up the buckle receptacle).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, I have seen the 3-car seat layout but car seat will keep its width but a person will not and just feel cramped if too tight. One other reason is we travel very far everyday so it’s likely that one or both of them could fall asleep during commute and a regular car seat will provide much more neck support.

JeopardE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We got the Diono RXT's for our kids. Happy with them so far -- kept them nice and comfortable through a road trip.

If you're trying to fit three seats, you'll have to use seat belts only - the latches are designed to handle two seats and will not leave enough space in the middle for a person to fit.

That said with the Dionos it does look like we could fit a third in there if we wanted, or pack the two to one side and leave enough room for an adult to squeeze in as long as they're reasonably slim.

SY1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New dad here...practical question: has anyone tried fitting a stroller in the trunk? Not talking about the tiny umbrella type, but specifically the Bugaboo Chameleon or something that size. If anyone has pics of how much space that takes in the trunk would really appreciate it!

Non-owner, reserved the day after launch online in CA, expecting mid-2018 delivery for the SR.
So did you end up getting the m3? If so first impressions regarding stroller and overall storage? We just got the uppababy vista that can hold up to two babies (one on top of each other...not side by side). I have the same concerns. I confirmed my order and expecting m3 delivery later this year. Any personal insight would be much appreciated?

SY1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can safely say no but I don’t recall offhand what they are and they’re in my wife’s trunk now.
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the Uppababy Vista would fit comfortably in the M3 trunk? Reason I am asking is because 1) my wife and I have a baby on the way in about 4 weeks and 2) I confirmed my M3 order about a month ago. Currently, getting stomach pains wondering if the storage will be enough. I am comfortable from the other threads that a car seat will fit comfortably in the back. Any reassurance you can provide would be much appreciated. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the Uppababy Vista would fit comfortably in the M3 trunk? Reason I am asking is because 1) my wife and I have a baby on the way in about 4 weeks and 2) I confirmed my M3 order about a month ago. Currently, getting stomach pains wondering if the storage will be enough. I am comfortable from the other threads that a car seat will fit comfortably in the back. Any reassurance you can provide would be much appreciated. :)
I had never seen that stroller before. It looks bulky, but given the way it folds it should absolutely fit.

We took the 3 on a road trip and had 3 suit cases and 2 strollers in the trunk. It was tight but worked just fine.

byee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m picking up my car in a few hours then driving about an hour home. Will throw our bugaboo chameleon in there and an umbrella stroller to give you an idea of what it looks like (crossing my fingers it will fit otherwise i will have a lot of explaining to do...)

SY1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m picking up my car in a few hours then driving about an hour home. Will throw our bugaboo chameleon in there and an umbrella stroller to give you an idea of what it looks like (crossing my fingers it will fit otherwise i will have a lot of explaining to do...)
Awesome! So what's the verdict? Hopefully your wife is happy with the new ride.

Country
Country
We got the Diono RXT's for our kids. Happy with them so far -- kept them nice and comfortable through a road trip.

If you're trying to fit three seats, you'll have to use seat belts only - the latches are designed to handle two seats and will not leave enough space in the middle for a person to fit.

That said with the Dionos it does look like we could fit a third in there if we wanted, or pack the two to one side and leave enough room for an adult to squeeze in as long as they're reasonably slim.

For sure you have to use the seatbelts, we have 2 kids age 2 and 4 (and a 3rd now on the way) so I have been pre-preparing to fit all 3 when the time comes. Using the latch there was 0 chance of fitting 3 across, with the seat belt and narrow car seats it worked much better. My current config is 2 diono's (one rear, one forward facing). And by the time the baby comes it will be 2 forward diono's and one rear facing infant seat. Just today I tried to fit a 3rd carseat in and it fit with a little bit of jenga. I snapped some pics to show (even though this wont be what I end up actually using- I just wanted to prove to myself that it would work). This is just a much larger car seat from my wifes minivan that managed to fit in with both diono's- so I am not worried at all anymore about getting a 3rd seat to fit. IMG_4326.jpg IMG_4329.jpg