Model 3 with Kids

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
The video doesn't list what car seats they used.

My best guess is the center car seat is a Cosco Scenera Next Convertible car seat.

https://www.coscokids.com/car-seats/scenera-next-convertible-car-seat-otto-cc123cva.html
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-NEXT-Convertible-Car-Seat-Otto/41126739#read-more

The walmart site says the width is 22"x23.5"x17". I'm assuming the width is 22" wide, since the car seat looks clearly wider than the outer car seats.

The outer car seats look like the Graco Highback Turbobooster.

http://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/Booster-Car-Seats/highback-turbobooster<sup>-reg;<-sup>-car-seat

These are listed as being 16.5" wide.
The Youtube video description does actually list the car seats they used, and you are correct.

Country
Country
You are correct. Those weren’t listed there yesterday.
That makes sense. I do see now in the comments several people asking about the makes of the seats. That was the first thing I thought (along with what the widths were) when I watched the video, and I'm glad they updated the info.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a simple solution for this conundrum as recently my wife has been pushing for a third child.

I simply remind her that the third kid won’t fit inside the car and I don’t think the frunk is safe for newborn :D

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I simply remind her that the third kid won’t fit inside the car and I don’t think the frunk is safe for newborn :D
My wife was like, "wouldn't it be nice to have a little girl?"
And I was like, "do you really want three boys? Because that's how you end up with three boys."
And that's how I got my vasectomy.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My wife was like, "wouldn't it be nice to have a little girl?"
And I was like, "do you really want three boys? Because that's how you end up with three boys."
And that's how I got my vasectomy.
Basically my exact conversation in reverse as we have 2 girls and I see going for a boy and getting twin girls... :D

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Well, that's good news. We had a couple Cosco's that worked for a while, no complaints on those except thin padding, but keep in mind that they only go to 40 lbs. If you're kids are small, that's great, but mine outgrew the seat by 2-3 years old.

sdmodel3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Plenty of room in this model 3.. our girls don’t travel light: four overnight bags, one small dog crate and small dog, two skateboards and helmets, kids toys, Christmas presents a viola and cello and other items...

Attachments

Gabzqc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great thread, thank you for the information.
Apologies for bringing this "old" thread to life again but I have a question I can't find the answer to... And I looked through the forum well...

How do young kids get on with opening the Model 3 doors on their own? Any stories of pinched fingers yet? Easier for them to use two hands to open?
Any experience would be great to hear. I have a 3 year old who can open my VW door handle totally fine and an 8 year old who has no problems.

Thanks!

Gabzqc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How do young kids get on with opening the Model 3 doors on their own? Any stories of pinched fingers yet? Easier for them to use two hands to open?
Any experience would be great to hear. I have a 3 year old who can open my VW door handle totally fine and an 8 year old who has no problems.

Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Thanks!
My 5 year old has it figured out and my 2.5 year old hasn’t tried, but I ask them both to not touch the handles. I don’t think pinching is a concern as they close back with limited force so it’s more so a fear of door dings ;)

bradkeller

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We're still waiting for our invitation to configure, so I can't answer after repeated instances. But I tested this very problem, using the Model 3 in the DC showroom. The 7 year old got it pretty easily, after a few tries. But I think she prefers to use two hands. The 4 year old only ever tried with two hands, but was able to do it.

This compares to the fact that neither of them can open the doors in our other two cars: a 2009 Prius and our 1999 Mazda 626 (which god willing will hold on for another 1-2 months).

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found kids figure out how and use the handles on the Model 3 better than any of my adult friends.

My daughter or her friends has never pulled the emergency door pull. They’ve always used the button even without instructions. They just get it.

Of course, every one of her friends loves Tesla. I think our younger generation really embraces electric cars and technology. They all grew up using iPads, so Elon, that cool forward thinker he is, designed this car with that generation of drivers in mind. No kid that will start driving on the next couple years will ever think the center screen is weird or anything else on the car. It will be getting into a different manufacture car and wonder what all those ugly buttons and switches are for. (Okay I went off on a tangent here..)

janinipoo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a 5 and 3 year old and they both figured out how to open the doors from the outside in less than 1 day. I also turned the child locks on so they can't open the door from the inside because the button to open the doors looks like the window button and they kept playing with it.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Great thread! Very useful information... I actually read through every post just to make sure I don't miss anything. I have two small kids (3 and 1) and this topic is super relevant. When I rented the Model 3 a week ago, I spent some time sitting in the back seat to get a feel for the space. Comparing to our 2010 Acura TSX (very similar in dimensions to a Honda Accord), the rear seating area is comparable... I want to even say that the Model 3 has slightly more knee space.

At the end of the day, two rear-facing convertible car seats is a challenge for all compact sedans. Also, the car seat you have makes a HUGE difference. For instance, the Diono Radian (I have one) is great in many ways... it is one of the few convertibles that is rated to support 0-120 pounds... but, to be able to do that, it is TALL. This means that in rear-facing mode, its front-to-back reach is longer than that of most convertibles... when we had it in rear-facing mode, we had it in the middle seat of the SUV and didn't even attempt to put it in the sedan. My other convertible car seat is a Britax something and when it was in rear-facing mode in the TSX (rear right seat), it would limit the passenger seat's front-back position and angle of recline. For me (5'10"), I was slightly more forward and upright than my ideal position, but I was still comfortable and my knees were about 1.5-2" from glove box. I expect the same situation in the Model 3. I would not attempt to put a rear-facing Diono in the rear left/right seat behind the driver/passenger... though it may work in the rear middle seat. An infant car seat (the basket that clicks directly from base to stroller... the ones for 0-30 pounds) will have no problem in any position in the Model 3.

In summary, for a 5'10" driver/passenger:
  • infant car seats (aka "basket" or "baby seat") will have no problems in any position.
  • standard rear-facing convertible (non-Diono like the Britax Boulevard) is ok in the rear left/right behind the driver/passenger with some limitations.
  • tall rear-facing convertible (e.g. Diono Radian) will not work in the rear left/right behind the driver/passenger.
To everyone preparing to have car seats in the Model 3, please keep the data points coming... this is very useful information... please note your car seat made/model when possible. :)