Model 3 with Kids

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Country
Country
I’ve said repeatedly the car is fine for two kids and three is workable, if at least one is in a booster.

I’m pretty sure the Diono is the slimmest out there, with a 13” wide base. As I said in my original post, I tried multiple combinations with different seats and boosters that work in the Model S and none worked. The Bubble Bum booster works in the middle, but if you don’t have one kid old enough to be in a backless booster, that’s not an option.

Three Diono Radians may work, but I don’t personally think so. I didn’t have three to try it, but looking at the space left next to the Diono, I think it would be 1”+ short. The bubble bum is 13” wide at the widest and fit in the middle pretty snug. The diono is 17” at the widest, so a third probably wouldn’t fit in the middle. You could probably physically get three wide and shut the doors, but I don’t think they’d be in right/safe.

I own a Tesla and own Tesla stock. I have nothing to gain by trashing the Model 3. I’m just trying to give everyone my real world experience with actual car seats and not just what I think based on looking at it. Most people with 3 young kids don’t have $60k to gamble without a test drive.

Hopefully someone proves me wrong, but I just don’t think three car seats is doable.

Edit: your teslarati article says 52.4” hip room. If that is correct, the diono is 17” wide at its widest. 17” x 3 is 51”, so the doors would close, but the outer seats would probably be at the very edge of the cushion or hanging off a little. Most likely, they wouldn’t be able to Latch. To fit three seats and have the outer two latch, I think you’d need 3 seats that were 14”, or possibly even 15” at the widest. The Diono and the Clek are probably too wide. The Cocorro may work at 15” max width, but it’s only good to 40 lbs. My 3 11/12 year old is 52 lbs and my 5 11/12 year old is 48 lbs. What do you do after 40 lbs?

I think the answer is to get someone to measure the distance between all the latch points. Then, I think you can extrapolate the max width per seat and see if a seat exists with that max width.
@danzgator I don't want to get on the wrong footing so, just to be clear, I am not at all knocking your efforts to help provide information, and have no thought whatsoever that you are doing anything but be helpful. You and one other person are currently my only "real world" efforts, and your posts have been very helpful in keeping me cautious in my expectations. My statement was simply to say that there are other car seat options (Clek's have multiple 17" max width seats, and there are others), and the solution may take more than what you had been able to do so far. Given you have a Model S as well that you can put 3 across in, you don't necessarily have a need to do the extra leg work and I wasn't going to ask you to do it.

To fit 3 across the back, I agree that you almost undoubtedly will have to forgo the LATCH connections for all 3 seats because, as you state, the LATCH connections move the outer seats closer in to the middle. As I understand it, that is just fine so long as the car seats don't interfere (i.e. extend too close to the doors) with the side curtain airbags. I've always understood that LATCH connections were mostly for convenience.

Regarding your question about the Cocorro and what you do after the child reaches 40lbs, wouldn't they be moving toward a booster (assuming age and weight guidance is met)? Of course, its always better to keep them in a car seat longer if possible. In our case, if we have 3 kids, they will be at varying ages such that we will never need 3 full size car seats at once. Our likely set up will be something like a Combi Cocorro (15"), Clek/Radian (17"), and a booster seat (??).

***Please understand that I am not a car seat expert, and that my posts are not advice.***

Country
Country
per the Radian site, the 17" width is the very top. So you should be using the Model 3s rear shoulder room width of 54.0", not the hip room width. so there should be about a spare inch per seat at the top and nearly 2 ½" spare per seat at the base.
I think this is the right way to look at it. Its not just about what the max width of the car seat is, but where the max width is located. Some of the articles I've read online about fitting 3 across discuss finding seats that work well together. That is, one car seat with a max width high on the seat and another car seat with a max width low on the seat, so that there is some overlap (particularly on rear-facing next to forward facing). In all likelihood, we'll probably have to replace our other car seat (a big 21" Graco), but I'd rather buy a new car seat and get a Model 3 than have to find a way to save up for a CPO Model S.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
@danzgator I don't want to get on the wrong footing so, just to be clear, I am not at all knocking your efforts to help provide information, and have no thought whatsoever that you are doing anything but be helpful. You and one other person are currently my only "real world" efforts, and your posts have been very helpful in keeping me cautious in my expectations. My statement was simply to say that there are other car seat options (Clek's have multiple 17" max width seats, and there are others), and the solution may take more than what you had been able to do so far. Given you have a Model S as well that you can put 3 across in, you don't necessarily have a need to do the extra leg work and I wasn't going to ask you to do it.

To fit 3 across the back, I agree that you almost undoubtedly will have to forgo the LATCH connections for all 3 seats because, as you state, the LATCH connections move the outer seats closer in to the middle. As I understand it, that is just fine so long as the car seats don't interfere (i.e. extend too close to the doors) with the side curtain airbags. I've always understood that LATCH connections were mostly for convenience.

Regarding your question about the Cocorro and what you do after the child reaches 40lbs, wouldn't they be moving toward a booster (assuming age and weight guidance is met)? Of course, its always better to keep them in a car seat longer if possible. In our case, if we have 3 kids, they will be at varying ages such that we will never need 3 full size car seats at once. Our likely set up will be something like a Combi Cocorro (15"), Clek/Radian (17"), and a booster seat (??).

***Please understand that I am not a car seat expert, and that my posts are not advice.***
I get it, I too was optimistic based on dimensions and my seats. I’m just trying to temper family of 5’s expectations because the numbers make it appear as though it would work.

On fitting 3 across without latch, I agree you can technically make it work assuming the seat is flat and extends almost to the door handles. In the S that is definitely not the case. With large based seats, they don’t sit flat, tend to lean to the side, and just don’t look safe. The model 3 is flatter, so this should be better, I just don’t know that it’s solved.

On the booster size/age, it depends on state law and how big your kid is. My son is huge and was 40 lbs when he was still 2. He shouldn’t even technically be in a booster yet, but he’s bigger than my soon to be 6 year old, and sits upright, so I don’t see the reason for the arbitrary age based rules. I’m obviously not a car seat expert and not recommending this, but kid sizes and laws vary drastically. If I had to guess I’d say you have 6 month to 2 year gap between seat and booster.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Seriously, you need to chill out. We are talking about options that CAN work. Just because your specific doesn’t, doesn’t mean there are not other options that DO.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I really appreciate this thread. It is a huge help for people with multiple kids. With that said when your kids get older there is some value to having a 3rd row if you have 3 kids. I know with mine on the same seat in my truck it is like a WWF smack down spontaneously while travelling at 75mph. With the 3rd row that hardly ever happens unless someone throws something. It will probably work when they are younger but when they get to about 4+ it gets interesting.

Now I know some have kids that are like angels but I am talking from the other end of the spectrum here :) This is why we'll keep the van for now. I even looked at the model X because it was really tempting but it just isn't that comfortable in the back for our teen and she is tiny.

byee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
New dad here...practical question: has anyone tried fitting a stroller in the trunk? Not talking about the tiny umbrella type, but specifically the Bugaboo Chameleon or something that size. If anyone has pics of how much space that takes in the trunk would really appreciate it!

Non-owner, reserved the day after launch online in CA, expecting mid-2018 delivery for the SR.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
New dad here...practical question: has anyone tried fitting a stroller in the trunk? Not talking about the tiny umbrella type, but specifically the Bugaboo Chameleon or something that size. If anyone has pics of how much space that takes in the trunk would really appreciate it!

Non-owner, reserved the day after launch online in CA, expecting mid-2018 delivery for the SR.
If no one replies, remind me in 2 weeks. I have 2 good size strollers.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I didn’t physically check myself, but having a garage full of strollers, it would take a big stroller (UppaBaby Vista) and two umbrellas (uppababy/summer) at once for sure. Not two big strollers and probably not a double stroller though, not my joovy double at least.

Griff

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have two rear facing (1.5 & 3), and one in no seat (11). We plan on keeping the 3y/o rear facing as long as possible (4?). We own 2 diono rxt for our Honda Pilot. The plan for the 3 is the put the car seats in the outside position and have the 11y/o sit between them. Can anyone tell me if they think that this is doable?

Down side is that it is HEAVY.
Yes!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Great thread. I have two of the Diono Radian seats in question. My youngest will be front-facing by August, so it looks like I should be good shape. The rear-facing Radians barely fit in my mid-size G37, and in our CX-5 I can't sit in the passenger seat because it is so far forward.

I'm looking forward to having the frunk storage space for my stuff without strollers/diapers/Frozen memorabilia.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I have two rear facing (1.5 & 3), and one in no seat (11). We plan on keeping the 3y/o rear facing as long as possible (4?). We own 2 diono rxt for our Honda Pilot. The plan for the 3 is the put the car seats in the outside position and have the 11y/o sit between them. Can anyone tell me if they think that this is doable?

Yes!
Go back up through the thread and find where my 5 year old is sitting between two seats. It's doable for her, but it depends how big your 11 year old is.

Griff

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Go back up through the thread and find where my 5 year old is sitting between two seats. It's doable for her, but it depends how big your 11 year old is.
My 11yo is on the small side.

The biggest difference is that the pink seat is quite large. I think with 2 dionos there will be a little bit more room between the seats.

We're keeping the Pilot, so it can be used for longer trips. Fingers crossed that they all fit.

Worst case scenario, I'll just have to get rid of one kid.

Defjukie

Country
Country
As has been said already in this thread, I think you'd buy a lot of space by using the seatbelts to secure the seats rather than the LATCH anchors. Probably 2-3" per seat, based on other cars I've tested. Therefore, 3 across should be juuuuust about doable.

There is nothing wrong, or inferior, about using seatbelts vs LATCH. In fact, car seat manufacturers now advise you to stop using LATCH once the weight of the child+seat exceeds ~70lbs. The concern being that the latch anchors can physically separate from the car's frame in an accident due to excessive force. I didn't know about this until I started researching the 3-across issue for Model 3.

I'll be trying it with 2 Radian R100's and a BabyTrends infant carrier.

zkmusa

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation

Here’s a successful 3-across in Model 3. Kids don’t even look that cramped, considering.
The video doesn't list what car seats they used.

My best guess is the center car seat is a Cosco Scenera Next Convertible car seat.

https://www.coscokids.com/car-seats/scenera-next-convertible-car-seat-otto-cc123cva.html
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-NEXT-Convertible-Car-Seat-Otto/41126739#read-more

The walmart site says the width is 22"x23.5"x17". I'm assuming the width is 22" wide, since the car seat looks clearly wider than the outer car seats.

The outer car seats look like the Graco Highback Turbobooster.

http://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/Booster-Car-Seats/highback-turbobooster<sup>-reg;<-sup>-car-seat

These are listed as being 16.5" wide.