Model 3 with Kids

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

@gravityrydr

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have memories of my parents throwing me and my sister (ages 4 and 3) in the bed of the pickup truck for a cross-state trip from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.

"Safety" was my dad telling us to sit up against the cab of the truck. ;)
This was the first car seat my parents used for my little brother. Super easy to use.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
My wife and I are worried about fitting a forward and a rear facing car seat. Luckily only two seats (with no plan for a third). With us being 6’ 2” and 5’ 10” resectively, would you guesstimate we’d be a bit more comfortable as a primary car? I realize without actually trying it’s a hard guess, but trying to calm my fears that this car is just a tad to small for us. Right now we use a 2012 Prius as our main car and we’re hoping for a bit more room (but also not expecting huge gains).
There’s definitely a lot more room than a Prius. I think it would be fine with two tall adults. Just put the shorter kid behind the taller adult

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I finally got the car seats back out of the model three and into the Model S. The kids aren’t typically dressed up as pirates, but we’re on the way to the Gasparilla parade. And for Lucca gets his sister’s pink booster, that’s how things roll when you’re the second child… :D
img_7511-jpg.5143

Last edited:

Three Pixel

Country
Country
There’s definitely a lot more room than a Prius. I think it would be fine with two tall adults. Just put the shorter kid behind the taller adult
You just made my day. I figure rear facing behind my shorter wife, and front facing behind me the taller driver and we’ll be set. Thanks for your input!

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Oo
You just made my day. I figure rear facing behind my shorter wife, and front facing behind me the taller driver and we’ll be set. Thanks for your input!
Oops, sorry, I must have skimmed over the rear facing seat part of your explanation. It will work if it's just you driving with a rear facing kid, or if you're just going down the block with your wife. Otherwise it'll be too tight for the front seat. If her knees are not touching the dash, they'll be close. Luckily, this is is just a temporary issue. Our 13 month old just has 11 more months until forward facing, then it should be fine in most circumstances. This is a 6'-0" guy sitting in front of the rear facing seat, with the angle adjuster making it better than it would have been:
img_7284-jpg.5142

Last edited:

Three Pixel

Country
Country
Oo

Oops, sorry, I must have skimmed over the rear facing seat part of your explanation. It will work if it's just you driving with a rear facing kid, or if you're just going down the block with your wife. Otherwise it'll be too tight for the front seat. If her knees are not touching the dash, they'll be close. Luckily, this is is just a temporary issue. Our 13 month old just has 11 more months until forward facing, then it should be fine in most circumstances. This is a 6'-0" guy sitting in front of the rear facing seat, with the angle adjuster making it better than it would have been:
View attachment 5142
Drats, there goes my good vibe. Rear facing seats are such a pain. Our little guy is only 2 weeks old, so we have a while before he jumps to a convertible seat let alone forward facing. I'll just shop around for a safe yet not-super-passenger-seat-encroching seat and hopefully by the time my reservation comes up (I waited till Oct. 2016) I'll have a lot more people like you able to provide input on what seat to put him in.

Thanks again for your help!

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Drats, there goes my good vibe. Rear facing seats are such a pain. Our little guy is only 2 weeks old, so we have a while before he jumps to a convertible seat let alone forward facing. I'll just shop around for a safe yet not-super-passenger-seat-encroching seat and hopefully by the time my reservation comes up (I waited till Oct. 2016) I'll have a lot more people like you able to provide input on what seat to put him in.

Thanks again for your help!
Don't forget they have to be narrow base as well, so your universe is pretty small...

Three Pixel

Country
Country
Don't forget they have to be narrow base as well, so your universe is pretty small...
Only fitting two total seats in the back so I’m not that worried. Nobody else needs to sit back there, so if we’re making it work now in a Prius with a infant seat and a forward Graco4ever I think we should be ok.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Only fitting two total seats in the back so I’m not that worried. Nobody else needs to sit back there, so if we’re making it work now in a Prius with a infant seat and a forward Graco4ever I think we should be ok.
I've got twins on the way (<5 weeks to go) and I have no problems with the seats in my prius so as long as the model 3 is bigger then I'm happy.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
The issue isn't that you can't fit three car seats, the issue is the butt width part of the seat (whatever you call that) is too narrow to accommodate most large-base US car seats. So, if you have a large base seat, it doesn't fit right. I only had two kids when I bought my Model S and had to get two new car seats when I made the switch from my Toyota Avalon. It seems like this is less of an issue on the Model 3 than the Model S, and the issue could conceivably be resolved in the Model 3 because the back seat is more bench-like than the Model S, but I didn't try to put a big seat back there to check. Obviously I'd check to see if your seats work in reality before spending $500 in new narrow base car seats, but I wouldn't check it off the list as resolved until you're sure they fit safely.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I've got twins on the way (<5 weeks to go) and I have no problems with the seats in my prius so as long as the model 3 is bigger then I'm happy.
Congrats! I don't know if you have other kids, but baby carriers usually encroach less on the front seat than rear facing seats and are usually only good to +/-20 lbs. So, the problem doesn't usually manifest itself until you switch from baby carrier to rear facing seats.

Three Pixel

Country
Country
The issue isn't that you can't fit three car seats, the issue is the butt width part of the seat (whatever you call that) is too narrow to accommodate most large-base US car seats. So, if you have a large base seat, it doesn't fit right. I only had two kids when I bought my Model S and had to get two new car seats when I made the switch from my Toyota Avalon. It seems like this is less of an issue on the Model 3 than the Model S, and the issue could conceivably be resolved in the Model 3 because the back seat is more bench-like than the Model S, but I didn't try to put a big seat back there to check. Obviously I'd check to see if your seats work in reality before spending $500 in new narrow base car seats, but I wouldn't check it off the list as resolved until you're sure they fit safely.
Thanks for clarifying your point. Yeah, I’d love to just keep using the one car seat I have for my toddler, but with the newborn I’ll need to buy something new anyway. Tucking all this info into the back of my brain.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Thanks for clarifying your point. Yeah, I’d love to just keep using the one car seat I have for my toddler, but with the newborn I’ll need to buy something new anyway. Tucking all this info into the back of my brain.
If your toddler is ready, or almost ready, for a booster, this is a really nice one that fits perfectly, locks into the latch anchors for safety, and seems ALMOST as safe as a car seat to me. http://www.maxi-cosi.com/car-seats/rodifix-airprotect.aspx

That way your not wasting money on a second/third car seat and are putting money into something you'll need eventually anyway.

You can see my son in my daughter's old booster seat here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-with-kids.5636/page-3#post-68046

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Congrats! I don't know if you have other kids, but baby carriers usually encroach less on the front seat than rear facing seats and are usually only good to +/-20 lbs. So, the problem doesn't usually manifest itself until you switch from baby carrier to rear facing seats.
Ours is good for 30lbs. Thankfully we went for maximum efficiency and got our boy and girl done all at once.
I did find this info helpful (http://thecarseatlady.com/high-weight-height-rear-facing-seats/) and the foonf seats from Clek are supposed to only take up 33" in the rear facing (according to Clek)

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Ours is good for 30lbs. Thankfully we went for maximum efficiency and got our boy and girl done all at once.
I did find this info helpful (http://thecarseatlady.com/high-weight-height-rear-facing-seats/) and the foonf seats from Clek are supposed to only take up 33" in the rear facing (according to Clek)
Yes, but it looks like the 33" is with the headrest in the lowest possible position. I'll check the real world Diono Radian R100 depth when I get a second. From the pictures, it looks like Diono takes up less space front to back, but it's hard to tell for sure from pictures. I was torn between the Diono and the Clek, but I can't remember why I chose the Diono. I think it was because it is slimmer and folds flat for travel, but I'm not positive. Down side is that it is HEAVY. Both have excellent reviews.

upload_2018-1-22_16-47-1-png.5159

upload_2018-1-22_16-47-46-png.5160

upload_2018-1-22_16-48-3-png.5161

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Diono is 33.5” front to back in a Model S with the angle adjuster, but the head rest is not adjustable, so that is max depth. The seats are more flat in the Model 3, so that might give you another few degrees. Maybe 34-35”.
76da8538-5e19-497a-b127-db1ad4e937bb-jpeg.5162

Country
Country
I think its important to remember that there are several other narrow car seat options besides Diono Radians. The Radians are great narrow car seats used by many people trying to fit 3 across, but they do have drawbacks, one being forward to back spacing. As someone who is trying to fit 3 car seats across the back of a Model 3, I definitely paused when @danzgator described his difficulty in getting multiple car seats across. However, this is just one set of attempts with a limited number of car seat variants.

Based on my review of car seat information online, time spent seeing the Model 3 in person, and experience in our 2012 Toyota Prius, I'm still cautiously optimistic that there will be a solution for 3 car seats across the back of the Model 3, and think there should be absolutely no issue with finding a good solution for 2 across the back. Its just going to take someone renting/borrowing/taking a Model 3 to go to a Babys R Us and finding the right fit to make it work. If no one else does it by the time I have to confirm, I'll find a way to do it. If I can't make it work, we'll likely have to cancel our order. I'm a Day 1 reservation holder, so I'll probably have to figure it out before some of you guys have to confirm your order.

For background, we have 3.5 yo and 1.5 yo kids that we fit in our Toyota Prius. In fact, they already ride next to each other, rear-facing 1.5 yo behind the driver (I'm 6' and its no issue) and forward facing 3.5 yo in the center. I have no concern that we couldn't put a 3rd behind the passenger in the Prius if we had to.

Country
Country
Just as an example of other options out there, we have this Combi Coccoro convertible car seat that both our kids have used at some point. It's legitimately only 15.5" wide, and 28" deep rear-facing. We used it rear-facing for our first kid for 2 years before transitioning it to our younger kid.

https://www.combiusa.com/Coccoro-p/8220.htm

From Combi website:

"The Coccoro accommodates children 19 to 40 inches, rear-facing from 3 to 33 pounds and forward-facing from 1 year and 20 pounds up to 40 pounds."

Rear-Facing Dimensions17.5" H x 15.5" W x 28" D
Forward-Facing Dimensions23" H x 15.5" W x 22" D

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I think its important to remember that there are several other narrow car seat options besides Diono Radians. The Radians are great narrow car seats used by many people trying to fit 3 across, but they do have drawbacks, one being forward to back spacing. As someone who is trying to fit 3 car seats across the back of a Model 3, I definitely paused when @danzgator described his difficulty in getting multiple car seats across. However, this is just one set of attempts with a limited number of car seat variants.

Based on my review of car seat information online, time spent seeing the Model 3 in person, and experience in our 2012 Toyota Prius, I'm still cautiously optimistic that there will be a solution for 3 car seats across the back of the Model 3, and think there should be absolutely no issue with finding a good solution for 2 across the back. Its just going to take someone renting/borrowing/taking a Model 3 to go to a Babys R Us and finding the right fit to make it work. If no one else does it by the time I have to confirm, I'll find a way to do it. If I can't make it work, we'll likely have to cancel our order. I'm a Day 1 reservation holder, so I'll probably have to figure it out before some of you guys have to confirm your order.

For background, we have 3.5 yo and 1.5 yo kids that we fit in our Toyota Prius. In fact, they already ride next to each other, rear-facing 1.5 yo behind the driver (I'm 6' and its no issue) and forward facing 3.5 yo in the center. I have no concern that we couldn't put a 3rd behind the passenger in the Prius if we had to.
I’ve said repeatedly the car is fine for two kids and three is workable, if at least one is in a booster.

I’m pretty sure the Diono is the slimmest out there, with a 13” wide base. As I said in my original post, I tried multiple combinations with different seats and boosters that work in the Model S and none worked. The Bubble Bum booster works in the middle, but if you don’t have one kid old enough to be in a backless booster, that’s not an option.

Three Diono Radians may work, but I don’t personally think so. I didn’t have three to try it, but looking at the space left next to the Diono, I think it would be 1”+ short. The bubble bum is 13” wide at the widest and fit in the middle pretty snug. The diono is 17” at the widest, so a third probably wouldn’t fit in the middle. You could probably physically get three wide and shut the doors, but I don’t think they’d be in right/safe.

Hopefully someone proves me wrong, but I just don’t think three car seats is doable.

Edit: your teslarati article says 52.4” hip room. If that is correct, the diono is 17” wide at its widest. 17” x 3 is 51”, so the doors would close, but the outer seats would probably be at the very edge of the cushion or hanging off a little. Most likely, they wouldn’t be able to Latch. To fit three seats and have the outer two latch, I think you’d need 3 seats that were 14”, or possibly even 15” at the widest. The Diono and the Clek are probably too wide. The Cocorro may work at 15” max width, but it’s only good to 40 lbs. My 3 11/12 year old is 52 lbs and my 5 11/12 year old is 48 lbs. What do you do after 40 lbs?

I think the answer is to get someone to measure the distance between all the latch points. Then, I think you can extrapolate the max width per seat and see if a seat exists with that max width.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Edit: your teslarati article says 52.4” hip room. If that is correct, the diono is 17” wide at its widest. 17” x 3 is 51”, so the doors would close, but the outer seats would probably be at the very edge of the cushion or hanging off a little. Most likely, they wouldn’t be able to Latch. To fit three seats and have the outer two latch, I think you’d need 3 seats that were 14”, or maybe even 15” at the widest.
per the Radian site, the 17" width is the very top. So you should be using the Model 3s rear shoulder room width of 54.0", not the hip room width. so there should be about a spare inch per seat at the top and nearly 2 ½" spare per seat at the base.