Model 3 vs Leaf suspensions/ride

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting experiment performed by some well known Tesla YouTubers. Of course this was over a high speed bump but you really can't argue the much lower repair costs of coil suspensions for most people that choose not to buy fancier cars with SAS.

Interesting, but not really the kind of bump you want a better kind of suspension for. More of an undulation. And wrong kind of test. Getting airborne at speed is irrelevant. What you’re experiencing at normal driving speed is. Also you should compare same cars with different suspension.
So next time please an artificial speed bump and normal speed.
This hasn’t altered my conviction that SAS is more comfortable and better road holding as well.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But if you haven’t taken delivery yet and are concerned or risk averse, please, (really, PLEASE), cancel your reservation right now and wait for a test drive so you can be sure this is the car for you.
Sorry to say, but the need to cancel is bullshit. You aren’t obliged to order.
You just hold on to your number, wait till you can get opportunity to test drive and then decide whether to order or not.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A reservation for a Model 3 isn't like getting a Nissan Leaf, you have to take the risk that it’s the car you want.
It was *exactly* like getting a Nissan Leaf back in 2011, FYI. I put down my $100 deposit. I never even sat in the car, let alone take a test drive.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for the Model S 40 instead. :p

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What size wheels & tires were on the Model 3?

What year is that Leaf?
What size wheels & tires were on the Leaf?
What make & model of tire was on that Leaf?
While @Jetson hasn't answered these questions here, he did (kind of) answer them in the YouTube comments:
The Leaf is a 2011. Stock wheels on both. Tesla has the 18" Areo with the caps on.
If this is a 2011 Leaf, then:
  • It has 16" wheels. Leafs often come with 17" wheels from 2013 onwards.
  • It has a *very* soft suspension. Nissan made it stiffer for 2013 onwards.
We still don't know what make/model/size tires the Leaf has. They're probably 205/55R16, as that was the stock size. I really doubt a car that old still has the OEM tires, so tire selection would be important.

It would be interesting to repeat this test with a new (or newer) Nissan Leaf to see how it fares.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Sorry to say, but the need to cancel is bullshit. You aren’t obliged to order.
You just hold on to your number, wait till you can get opportunity to test drive and then decide whether to order or not.
Fair point and the net effect would be the same.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fair point and the net effect would be the same.
No, it wouldn't, because if you cancel now. And make a new reservation after a test drive, you will find yourself at the end of the que again.
It would be fair if you then would be behind all (650,000?) worldwide reservations. A lot of them are after all also waiting since Spring 2016. I certainly am.
I can respect US reservationists getting preference as long as the federal tax credit is in place (all of it?). But then we should get a turn too. Certainly over people who reserved at a (much) latere date.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
No, it wouldn't, because if you cancel now. And make a new reservation after a test drive, you will find yourself at the end of the que again.
It would be fair if you then would be behind all (650,000?) worldwide reservations. A lot of them are after all also waiting since Spring 2016. I certainly am.
I can respect US reservationists getting preference as long as the federal tax credit is in place (all of it?). But then we should get a turn too. Certainly over people who reserved at a (much) latere date.
I meant the net effect of letting the next person in line get a car.
The point of my post was that there have been a number of posts about the car not meeting personal expectations, usually without taking personal ownership of the fact that reserving a car without seeing, touching or driving it is a high risk scenario.
You are quite correct that I was not accurate in saying cancelling reservation was needed.
But I stand by my intent that if you are not completely sure about spending >$50K on a car you shouldn't press the Order button and instead you should give the next person in line the opportunity to make their choice.
We all want our cars as soon as possible, some folk just need to validate their expectations beforehand.
I'm just waiting for the first posts complaining that there isn't a HUD or that they can't live with the center screen :rolleyes:

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went from a 2012 Leaf to a 2015 i3 (20" wheels), and found the ride of the i3 much much harsher than the Leaf. The Leaf's ride was very soft.

The ride is still a bit harsh, but not uncomfortable. The car either settled a bit, or I got used to it. It will be interesting to find out how the Model 3 will compare.

Overall, I'd give yourself a bit of time to adapt, and if you otherwise like the vehicle, definitely try other tires as suggested. On previous vehicles, that has made a huge difference!

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Its all about the proving that each vehicle is driving in exactly the same position on exactly same road at exactly the same speed at exactly the same conditions and this video does non of that.
Sure, this comparison doesn't attempt to be scientific in any sense. But I have no doubt that a small sport sedan rides rougher than a modern two-wheel-drive quarter-ton pickup truck with an extra-long wheelbase. Those things are quite cushy-riding.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sure, this comparison doesn't attempt to be scientific in any sense. But I have no doubt that a small sport sedan rides rougher than a modern two-wheel-drive quarter-ton pickup truck with an extra-long wheelbase. Those things are quite cushy-riding.
I guess I am missing the point of this, looks like someone spent time taking at least 3 video's of a glass of water of dashboards of a Leaf, F150 and M3. And if it were a scientific experiment why not compare with cars in the M3's class like a BMW 3 series?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
not to mention we don't know if every flaw in the street was hit by the 3 and not the others, how much acceleration/deceleration played into the 'water' sloshing, etc.

When driving yesterday, in a car with fairly stiff suspension, on a freeway still rutted and torn up by LAST winter's snow/ice/truck chains, I thought about the 3/leaf video. I can feel every vibration with my hand on the dash, but not on the seat. not even much vibration comes thru on the steering wheel. So.... as others previously had said, the 'equipment' (in this case a stemmed glass of 'water') should be on a seat, not a hard dash no matter the car being compared.

stiff suspension is not bad. it's just not the same as 7 year old soft/worn suspension or Towncar bouncy soft suspension.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I currently drive a 2013 Mercedes C250 sedan and I would love to see a test like yours comparing the Model 3's ride to my C250 sedan!
Same here. I'll be coming from a 2010 C300, which I never considered a "harsh" ride. But after reading all of the criticism on the Model 3 ride quality and then driving my car, I can definitely feel the road even though I'd never really noticed it before. If the Model 3 rides about the same as my C300 I'll have no complaints.

Country
Country
Actually I made the video because when I compared the ride to the Nissan Leaf and said it rides like a truck on a city road, a bunch of you guys got really upset. I guess you don't like to hear people's opinions that are different than yours.

I drive that street everyday. I also owned a BMW 335i and drove it on the same road. It felt smoother than the Model 3. I sold it to make room for the Model 3. But the good news is, I sold it to a friend, so that video is coming soon!

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last one provided more controlled information such as the view and the speedometer on both vehicles. There were still variables unaccounted for but this one is just flagrant.

I appreciate the effort and the intention but feel like you've gone to a baiting extreme.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I posted a very negative post the other day that was (rightfully) removed by the mods in response to one of these threads. I do regret getting mad and posting it in anger so I'm glad they took care of it for me, especially since I would like to consider myself a calm person and maybe even possibly a voice of reason instead of a poster that is negative and attacking. However, that being said, I do have this poster blocked on TMC... which takes a LOT for me to block anyone as I just don't care too much to let someone's negative opinions get to me. I don't recall exactly what post was the tipping point, but that's not important. The point being... it seems to be negative comment after negative comment, and I just can't figure it out... it confuses me... that the OP is an owner and has nothing good to say. To each their own... opinions will be different for everyone... but to repeatedly post with nothing positive to say, then accuse everyone else of not liking your opinion when they question your method/reasoning/entire point to what you're doing, well, I will (after posting this) take the advice of a wise person and just block you here as well.
I wish you a good life jetson, I hope you find enjoyment with your Model 3 or move on to something else that will meet your requirements.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually I made the video because when I compared the ride to the Nissan Leaf and said it rides like a truck on a city road, a bunch of you guys got really upset. I guess you don't like to hear people's opinions that are different than yours.

I drive that street everyday. I also owned a BMW 335i and drove it on the same road. It felt smoother than the Model 3. I sold it to make room for the Model 3. But the good news is, I sold it to a friend, so that video is coming soon!
Please spare us another non-scientific non-test. Go somewhere else and play. Enough FUD.