Model 3 vs Leaf suspensions/ride

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After 3 weeks of ownership, the worse thing about the Model 3 is the ride on city streets:

It rides like a pick-up truck on Los Angeles' and San Francisco's concrete streets. Very disappointing.
What size wheels & tires were on the Model 3?

What year is that Leaf?
What size wheels & tires were on the Leaf?
What make & model of tire was on that Leaf?

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No question it's the roughest ride I've owned in quite a while. I'm getting used to it. But it is still pretty bumpy with our less than optimal roads here in So Cal...
That is really disappointing. How would you compare it to your S with SAS, @RandyS ?

And yes, what wheels do you have on S and 3?

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Click bait title for sure. Dirty little secret? Give me a break. Probably a short.

My post reply from TMC:

Comparing a Leaf to a 3? What did you expect? A mushy commuter box that can only muster .76g load on a skidpad and has a 10.4 second 0-60 to a great handling sports sedan? (Yes. I’ve driven the 3 and on worse roads in Canada) There is always a trade off in ride vs. performance. The 3’s ride was on par with the Audi and BMW sports sedans I’ve driven. Pickup truck ride? Not a chance.

The meter scales are different. On the 3 you can see the entire needle on the right. On the Leaf you can only see the needle tip. This suggests the 3’s scale is magnified.

Last edited:

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is really disappointing. How would you compare it to your S with SAS, @RandyS ?

And yes, what wheels do you have on S and 3?
My S has 21 inch factory wheels with Hankook tires, and I try to keep them at 45 pounds.

My 3 has 19 inch factory wheels with Continental tires, and those are at 43-44 pounds.

My 2011 LEAF that I just sold has factory wheels and Bridgestone Ecopia tires. I used to run them at 44-45 pounds...

The S with SAS weighs about 1,000 pounds more, but has a smoother ride (I'm guessing) due to the SAS...

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Country
Country
The fact is the ride is very bumpy on city roads. I wish it wasn't. If I had the chance to test drive the car on the roads I drive most often in LA, I wouldn't have bought it. But if you live in a suburb with nicely paved roads I am sure you will enjoy it. It just doesn't ride like a mainstream car on many city roads.

Country
Country
Also, is this site getting paid by Tesla? Why would you change my title of this post? I tought this was supposed to be an open and free discussion? Why are my comments being censored?

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Also, is this site getting paid by Tesla? Why would you change my title of this post? I tought this was supposed to be an open and free discussion? Why are my comments being censored?
Because your original title was clickbait that didn't accurately summarize the content of your post.

Country
Country
Clickbait? Wow, it is the truth. I would not have bought this car had I known it rides this way. It IS a secret. They don't let you test drive the car. Do you think this rides like a mainstream car on city roads? I know it doesn't.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious about the definition of "mainstream."

I understand it is a harsher ride than the S (especially w/SAS) and probably other large cars with or without hydraulic/air suspension (grandpa's Cadillac or Buick boat comes to mind) but how does it compare to a BMW 3, Ford Fusion, Chevy Impala, Honda Civic, or my Acura Integra? Those fit into my perception of "mainstream" and sort of straddle the Model 3's size/price range (not a car guy so couldn't think of more higher end "peers") and they certainly have a wide range of road feels.

I'm guessing I will consider it a smoother ride than my 24 year old sport-designed Integra whether because of newer parts or the fact that it's designed to be more of a family sedan. The more I hear, however, I wonder if "mainstream" is more timeless than I'd imagined and it will be the same or worse; not that I've ever minded the ride (bigger problem with road/engine noise which should definitely improve).

Thanks for the experiment. Don't take it personally when people question the scientific merit (without listing/limiting variables) since we do the same with fan boys like Zac, Jesse, Bjorn, and even our benefactors Trevor & Kenneth. As for click bait, creative titling is always fun but accuracy helps people decide what to spend their time reading; it's better this way, in my opinion.

Completely agree about a test drive but don't think Tessa's been keeping this factor secret so much.

Last edited:

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Clickbait? Wow, it is the truth. I would not have bought this car had I known it rides this way. It IS a secret. They don't let you test drive the car. Do you think this rides like a mainstream car on city roads? I know it doesn't.
I wonder if you ever driven a performance sports sedan like the Model 3? A leaf is a completely different class of car, it is NOT a performance sedan and it seems unreasonable to try and compare a M3 with a Leaf in pretty much any category. They only thing they have in common is they both have electric motors.