Model 3 VS Ford F-150 Road Test

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn’t watch the video, but what are we trying to accomplish?
Notoriety, apparently. ;)

Anyhow, it appears that the cup of yellow fluid in the Model 3 in that video is tilted to the left for most of the trip. That doesn't seem very fair, or scientific.

Country
Country
Actually I did the video because when I compared the ride to the Nissan Leaf and said it rides like a truck on a city road, a bunch of you guys got really upset. I guess you don't like to hear people's opinions that are different than yours.

I drive that street everyday. I also owned a BMW 335i and drove it on the same road. It felt smoother than the Model 3. I sold it to make room for the Model 3. But the good news is, I sold it to a friend, so that video is coming soon!

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually I did the video because when I compared the ride to the Nissan Leaf and said it rides like a truck on a city road, a bunch of you guys got really upset. I guess you don't like to hear people's opinions that are different than yours.

I drive that street everyday. I also owned a BMW 335i and drove it on the same road. It felt smoother than the Model 3. I sold it to make room for the Model 3. But the good news is, I sold it to a friend, so that video is coming soon!
You can take a video of a glass of water on the dash as many cars & trucks as you like but without knowing all the details of each (Speed, breaking, acceleration, exact same road at exactly the same time, etc.) it is a completely wasted exercise. I believe most people know that the M3 has more of a sports suspension, this along with the low center of gravity is why it handles so well. if you are looking for a soft mushy ride you shroud consider a Mercedes or Lexus. I am missing your point here.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last one provided more controlled information such as the view and the speedometer on both vehicles. There were still variables unaccounted for but this one is just flagrant.

I appreciate the effort and the intention but feel like you've gone to a baiting extreme.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess you don't like to hear people's opinions that are different than yours.
That's not it at all. I don't think you're paying enough attention to the criticism. Several people are asking for a comparison to a sports sedan. They believe that comparing a Model 3 to a soft-sprung vehicle (like a Leaf or a 2wd truck) isn't really useful. We already assumed that it would be a harsher ride.

Also, you're not including a lot of information that would be useful. Such as:
  • year, make, model of each vehicle
  • tire size, make, model, and air pressure of each vehicle
  • some actual accelerometer data. We don't know what phone app you were using. We don't know what phone you were using (or how good its accelerometer is - most have bad ones). There weren't even any scales that I could see on the graphs being produced in the video.
The glass of pee sloshing around makes for good entertainment (I guess), but it's not very useful. Give us some specific data.

also owned a BMW 335i and drove it on the same road. It felt smoother than the Model 3. I sold it to make room for the Model 3. But the good news is, I sold it to a friend, so that video is coming soon!
That would be great!

But please, PLEASE include all of the requested details about that car!

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Notoriety, apparently. ;)

Anyhow, it appears that the cup of yellow fluid in the Model 3 in that video is tilted to the left for most of the trip. That doesn't seem very fair, or scientific.
Sounds like the purpose is to bash Tesla. And with a total lack of scientific methodology (how many people ride on the dash?) and little explanation of his setup, this is just another Tesla Short Oscar® Nominee.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting comparison, but everyone wants their own comparison to what they drive today or what other car they might be comparing to. I find it interesting because I drive a '14 F150 Lariat, 4 wheel drive. It is one of the best rides I've ever been in, better than a couple of Cadillac sedans and a Continental from a few years back - nothing can touch the truck, but it weighs more, much different engine, etc. I fully expect the 3 to ride different. I won't say rougher, but it better be tighter, sportier, those things are automatically going to translate to "rougher" the way most people will describe a ride.

Better comparison to me is my partners '13 Fusion. I have to say that is a fun car to drive, with the 2.0 Ecoboost, It's tight, it's fast, one hell of a car for $34K fully loaded, but it is "rough" if you will. You feel the road in it, you feel a small change in steering, it's designed to be that way and you want it that way. I expect the 3 to be ever bit the same way. I want it nimble, tight to the road and great handling, but that is going to translate to "rough" in some peoples minds and will almost always spill more liquid than my truck ever will.