Model 3 Turning Radius

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Am I confused on the result?
On a street that is curb to curb RiggerJon's 33.5 feet wide, 3 of 4 wheels remain between the curbs, but the outside front wheel hops the curb? (The rear wheel cuts inside of the front shell's path.)
Or on a rural road 33.5 feet wide, without curbs or shoulders, that unfortunate outside front wheel will need a 3 point turn or a tow truck?

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that many people are driving their brand new 3's, how do you like the turning radius? I test drove an S a while back and found the turning radius to be amazingly tight, am hoping the 3 is at least as good.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that many people are driving their brand new 3's, how do you like the turning radius? I test drove an S a while back and found the turning radius to be amazingly tight, am hoping the 3 is at least as good.
I'm completely satisfied. I'd call it tight. I only have 2 vehicles to compare it to - I think it's a bit wider than my LEAF, but definitely quite a bit better than my Evo IX (which has the turning radius of a Princess cruise ship!).

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd say it's pretty average. It's not as tight as my S2000 (obviously) but it's very comparable to my former Audi S4.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Motor Trend article also quoted a turning circle number of 38.1 feet... I'd be more inclined to believe Riggerjon at 33.5 feet since he actually has the car and measured it himself.
The turning radius is not as good as my BMW 330i series ZHP :-(
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bmw/3-series/2018/specs/3-series-sedan-394827
BMW 330i has a turning circle of 37.1'.

So if the 3 manual is correct, the 3 is one foot larger.
If Riggerjon is correct, the 3 is over 3 feet tighter.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Compared to my previous 2016 328i, the turning circle on the Model 3 is horrible. Probably worse than most large sedans (i.e. Camry/Accord/...)
here's a diagram showing the curb-to-turb (solid line) and wall-to-wall (light dashed line)
I recommend getting blind spot mirrors. Ordered a pair from Abstract Ocean, and they're very helpful, especially when clearing corners to avoid scraping the curb. At the automatic car wash, there is an exceedingly narrow curve to the conveyor, and it offers peace of mind.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It's fine - tighter than an Accord, not as tight as a Miata. And I love the single turn to full lock - makes pulling a U Turn fast and easy.
Also, if necessary to perform a multi-point turn, not only is the single turn to full lock nice, the car goes from Forward to Reverse (and back again) really quickly and smoothly with an easy to tap gear selector. And it's nice not to have that little pause most ICE cars have between gear shifts. It makes multi-point turns quick and effortless.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, if necessary to perform a multi-point turn, not only is the single turn to full lock nice, the car goes from Forward to Reverse (and back again) really quickly and smoothly with an easy to tap gear selector. And it's nice not to have that little pause most ICE cars have between gear shifts. It makes multi-point turns quick and effortless.
You can do a three point turn without taking your foot off the gas pedal, which is pretty cool, BUT you have to visually verify the gear shifts on the tiny PRND display—not just slap the shifter and press the gas. Very cool to be able to shift while rolling, but very disconcerting if you don't hear the error beep and still press the accelerator when not in the gear you think you are in, because next thing you know there are Ho-Hos and Slim Jims flowing off the mini-mart shelf into your car window.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have the specs but it is not as good as my 2004 Honda Accord - It's not bad but it falls short of my previous car.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have an idea of what the exact turning radius of the Model 3 is going to be or will we just have to wait until the launch?

This is important for my mother who wouldn't drive anything to the grocery store or gym without the same or smaller turning radius as her existing Mercedes. She would just be too scared of banging up the corners. She wants to avoid the creepy strangers who always seem to hit her up in the grocery store parking lots promising to fix the scratches on her bumper because "they think she has an expensive looking car".

Obviously, she's not the best driver and technology scares her so the summon feature might not be right for her from the get go. Maybe once she gets comfortable with the car but until that time, I need to prove to her that she can handle the car manually for the time being and for a considerable amount of time thereafter ie short turn radius in the cliche use case (grocery store parking lot). If all the calls I get from her for basic Windows help are any indication, I'm going to be fielding a lot of summon and autopilot help calls from her if I can get her interested in the "car" part of this smartcar.
Goggle says it's 19.4 ' radius.

groovetesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recommend getting blind spot mirrors. Ordered a pair from Abstract Ocean, and they're very helpful, especially when clearing corners to avoid scraping the curb. At the automatic car wash, there is an exceedingly narrow curve to the conveyor, and it offers peace of mind.
Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding on exactly where to place the mirrors and how far to the edge I want them. Do you have any photos you can share?