Model 3 Turning Radius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have an idea of what the exact turning radius of the Model 3 is going to be or will we just have to wait until the launch?

This is important for my mother who wouldn't drive anything to the grocery store or gym without the same or smaller turning radius as her existing Mercedes. She would just be too scared of banging up the corners. She wants to avoid the creepy strangers who always seem to hit her up in the grocery store parking lots promising to fix the scratches on her bumper because "they think she has an expensive looking car".

Obviously, she's not the best driver and technology scares her so the summon feature might not be right for her from the get go. Maybe once she gets comfortable with the car but until that time, I need to prove to her that she can handle the car manually for the time being and for a considerable amount of time thereafter ie short turn radius in the cliche use case (grocery store parking lot). If all the calls I get from her for basic Windows help are any indication, I'm going to be fielding a lot of summon and autopilot help calls from her if I can get her interested in the "car" part of this smartcar.

Iaeen

Country
Country
I remember one of the engineers bragging about the short turning radius in one of the test drive videos from the reveal. I think it's supposed to be really good. Search YouTube for "Model 3 first ride", and you'll find that video among the 4-5 others.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember one of the engineers bragging about the short turning radius in one of the test drive videos from the reveal. I think it's supposed to be really good. Search YouTube for "Model 3 first ride", and you'll find that video among the 4-5 others.
Agree... it seemed impressive from the alpha prototype test drives at the unveiling. Of course the final production vehicle may vary, but I think it should be good!

Side note, if she doesn't already have a reservation she will be able to get a test drive well before even committing to purchase the vehicle.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can say the wheel base on the Model 3 is some 3-4" shorter than the Model S so that should help.

What I did find during my extended test drive is that the Model S doesn't a lot of travel in the steering from lock to lock. If Model 3 improves on that then it should match pretty much any sedan in its size class.

As for test drives she should be fine to get one once they get through the test drives for early reservation holders.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made two reservations way back on the first day for reservations on 3/31, expecting that I would use the first one for myself and the second for my mother. Yet, in all that time since, I hadn't asked her what she wants until now. Besides power seats and a sunroof, this is her deal breaker. Grocery store parking lot drivability.

It sounds like we're not going to get a number before the launch. I know for sure that she'd want something under 19 feet though.

GARRITY

Country
Country
I made two reservations way back on the first day for reservations on 3/31, expecting that I would use the first one for myself and the second for my mother. Yet, in all that time since, I hadn't asked her what she wants until now. Besides power seats and a sunroof, this is her deal breaker. Grocery store parking lot drivability.

It sounds like we're not going to get a number before the launch. I know for sure that she'd want something under 19 feet though.

Turning radius for 2017 Model S is 18.5Ft. according to google.

PcGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Turning radius for 2017 Model S is 18.5Ft. according to google.
The turning radius for my 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback is 17.39′. I am quite happy with that. If it's at least close, I'll be very pleased.

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The turning radius of my current daily driver is 46.8', and it sees shopping parking lots all the time no problem.

Sounds like y'all need cars that can drive and park themselves ;) .

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Motor Trend article also quoted a turning circle number of 38.1 feet. I'm not sure if they got that number from somewhere or actually measured it themselves. Seems like the mystery deepens. I'd be more inclined to believe Riggerjon at 33.5 feet since he actually has the car and measured it himself. Not sure why the owners manual, even in draft form, would be so far off though.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't know if Tesla falls into this category but many manufacturers list their turning circles with fender/bumper overhang. Some don't so comparisons aren't consistent. RiggerJon measured at the wheels which would, possibly, explain the discrepancy.

All will be clear at some point.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't know if Tesla falls into this category but many manufacturers list their turning circles with fender/bumper overhang. Some don't so comparisons aren't consistent. RiggerJon measured at the wheels which would, possibly, explain the discrepancy.

Yeah, agreed - I think it’s how it’s being measured.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Tesla is listing Curb-to-Curb, which should be at the tires. Wall-to-Wall would be including the bumper overhang... but numbers 'sound' more like wall-to-wall than curb-to-curb

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is listing Curb-to-Curb, which should be at the tires. Wall-to-Wall would be including the bumper overhang... but numbers 'sound' more like wall-to-wall than curb-to-curb
Curb to curb seems like it would be a measure of the track of the front tires, whereas mine measured where the back tire ended up at 180deg across the circle. Eh, whatev - it turns plenty sharp for me! :)