Model 3 Trunk Insulation

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I decided to install the trunk insulation mat today. Everything went well until... I went to reinstall the extra plastic trim piece that some model 3's are missing. These mats don't have the cutouts for it, or even marks where you could cut-out the sections yourself. So I'm left with a choice of removing a good section of it to clear the mounts, or fabricate a template and cut-out areas for them to go through. BTW, I added extra 3M Auto Trim tape in a few places to help it stick.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I decided to install the trunk insulation mat today. Everything went well until... I went to reinstall the extra plastic trim piece that some model 3's are missing. These mats don't have the cutouts for it, or even marks where you could cut-out the sections yourself. So I'm left with a choice of removing a good section of it to clear the mounts, or fabricate a template and cut-out areas for them to go through. BTW, I added extra 3M Auto Trim tape in a few places to help it stick.
Pics or it didn't happen! :p

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See posts 45 and 48.
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-trunk-insulation.13127/post-245763

The manufacturer is making rev2 that will work with the garnish and cover the sides even better, based on our feedback.
No ETA, no updates since July.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And that is precisely what I did back then. Make sure to leave a little (very little) overlap
to tuck under the garnish. And to trim more material around the side ends of the garnish.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You didnt trim enough on the sides if they wont clip in. The center section has to be almost flush... once you are close, seat the sides and use the push clips to hold the garnish sides... then tuck the center under and use the rubber seal lip to finalize the hold in the center.

Country
Country
It didn't happen - I decided to just trim-off the mat until it just had enough overlap to tuck under the trim piece. But the addd thickness still interferes with the two plastic clips built into the trim.
What I did is to trim the cover very close, except for two "tabs" that basically hold the thing in place. The "tabs" are positioned roughly halfway between the push-pins at the ends and the area in the center with the clips, i.e. in the middle of the sections of the garnish where there are no clips. Since I had replaced the adhesive strips with Velcro, I was able to make some small adjustments back and forth until I was able to snap the garnish fully in. Here's the result:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-trunk-insulation.13127/post-248198

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered one and just received it. Has anyone installed it yet? No instructions included but it fits under the garnish and push pins and there’s a baggie included with non self-tapping screws and tabs

ccb3dc47-3c80-4697-af70-01ad043d3db6-jpeg.28996

Cintoman

As a data point, this weekend I was at a EV drive event and Tesla Warwick, RI had a Model 3 Performance on hand for test drives. I didnt get a chance to see the build date, but the trunk shelf did not have the shelf opening like the earlier cars had. It was a full sheet of steel like one of the pics further up showed.

--Cintoman

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I ordered one and just received it. Has anyone installed it yet? No instructions included but it fits under the garnish and push pins and there’s a baggie included with non self-tapping screws and tabs

View attachment 28996
@TrevP,

Trev does your P3D+ have the Trunk cutout/screen or is it solid? My P3D+ is a Sept ‘18 and HAS the cutout. Due to this I’m Leary to cover it with this mat. But hate the unfinished trunk. (I know I could either cover it or cut out the grill area).

Ski

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 28996
I put one in mine. My car has the extra rear edge plastic trim, and these pads are cut to fit without that extra trim, so if yours has the trim you'll have to "trim" off a bit at the rear to allow the trim mounts to fit. Also, it comes with pretty thin attachment tape, so I added an extra layer of 3M 1/2" wide Auto Trim Tape (on those 2 long bumps), and added an extra piece of tape along the cross-brace.