Model 3 Trunk Insulation

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure if links are allowed here, but there is a person on another forum whose recently delivered car doesn't have the opening either, but they have the LR AWD with subwoofer ...
That’s interesting. I’m guessing it was included on early models then deemed unnecessary by Tesla.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, when was your car built and trim level?

This is completely different design from all the previous versions.

I do wonder what made that change from Tesla.
This is a 2019 SR+. I ordered the last week of June and took delivery the first week of July.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Friends of mine ordered an SR+ and a P3D this week, I'll compare them as soon as they arrive and report back the differences (if any) but I have a feeling the SR+ has a solid shelf since it doesn't have the subwoofer

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are a few reported recent builds with the solid shelf fitted with Premium Audio (including OE subwoofer).

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a long piece of wood trim yesterday and on the way home I put one of the back seats down for the first time to fit it into my 3. It was amazing loud. In fact I kept checking my rear windows to make sure they were up. So my point is the trunk is a key area for road noise, and the trunk insulation piece does help...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a long piece of wood trim yesterday and on the way home I put one of the back seats down for the first time to fit it into my 3. It was amazing loud. In fact I kept checking my rear windows to make sure they were up. So my point is the trunk is a key area for road noise, and the trunk insulation piece does help...
I think your experiment only confirms that the rear seatback helps with noise attenuation.

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think your experiment only confirms that the rear seatback helps with noise attenuation.
The point is that it is really loud without the seatbacks, so lots of road noise is coming from the trunk. (Some other cars I've owned you don't notice any difference with the seats down.) And without the insulation piece I had what is essentially a hole in the rear deck lid allowing noise to flow freely into the car. As I stated last week, the insulation does help:

I drove my usual route to work this morning. There is still some tire noise and hum on certain roads, but directionally the trunk insulation does help reduce noise from the rear. Not a huge difference, but more than just a placebo effect. Certainly worth $75 and 15 minutes of time...

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Well....my question is and continues to be has anyone WITH the aforementioned cutout put this piece in essentially covering the cutout and (a) noticed any difference in subwoofer sound due to blocking the cutout and (b) noticed any pressure differentials closing the doors and /or resultant effect in HVAC performance?

Ski

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No pressure differences when closing doors or trunk. It really was easy to install. Try it...
why spend money on something like this? when on smooth pavement, the car is nearly silent. Only road noise comes thru when on rough pavement. maybe where you are the majority of pavement is rough, but for me, road noise isn't an issue and there are other things I'd rather spend money on.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
why spend money on something like this? when on smooth pavement, the car is nearly silent. Only road noise comes thru when on rough pavement. maybe where you are the majority of pavement is rough, but for me, road noise isn't an issue and there are other things I'd rather spend money on.
You right Melinda. But from my reading this is one of the biggest complains from EV owners when this car ( Model 3 ) is compared with other cars like Etron/ iPace.

Country
Country
Well....my question is and continues to be has anyone WITH the aforementioned cutout put this piece in essentially covering the cutout and (a) noticed any difference in subwoofer sound due to blocking the cutout and (b) noticed any pressure differentials closing the doors and /or resultant effect in HVAC performance?
- Subwoofer: no difference that I could hear
- Door/trunk closing: no difference
- HVAC performance: no difference with respect to cooling performance, but I think the real test will be whether humidity is still being expelled from the cabin normally and condensation on the windows isn't worse. But being in California I can only test this in winter. ;)

Not sure how much of it is placebo, but after driving a little over a week the road noise definitely feels reduced to me, particularly higher frequency components.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This, like all other modifications, is not for everyone. Hardly 'casual', mostly 'standard'.

A low cost item (worse case its an $80-100 recycle or rubbish bin loss, or better still - a resell/donation to others) with an OE+ look and feel.

A question of personal preference and choice just like: wheels, tires, suspension bits, cosmetic mods, PPF/lPPF, wraps, coatings, tint, chrome deletes, aero-kits, replacement bumpers and lip spoilers, etc.

Last edited:

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, I did not get to it last weekend. I have to go out of town this weekend, so it will probably be another week. If someone in the Atlanta area would like to try the set on their car, I would be glad to works something out.