Model 3 Trunk Insulation

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks interesting. It appears it is blocking the Subwoofer grill or port. It will probably help out a lot. I have noticed there is a lot more noice when I have the seats folded down in my 3.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought the grill/vent to the trunk was to equalize air pressure with the interior. If so, I doubt it is a good idea to cover it.

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was told it was a port for the trunk mounted subwoofer. The low frequencies might make it through with it blocked, but I don’t think it’s to equalize pressure. If so it would need to be that big and I would need to be right in the middle.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would be interested in that as you can easily hear things moving around in the trunk with the open port, but along with others concerns ... would want to know for sure why that opening is there and what happens if its covered.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe it would be much harder to close the trunk with a single swing, since the air pressure will build up with no outlet to go. Nevertheless, it looks nice.

Country
Country
The trunk actually has exhaust vents in the rear corners behind the bumper, so closing it shouldn't be more difficult even if this insulation blocked the vent on the rear deck completely. But it almost looks like the slots on the left and right might let air through. I believe the primary purpose of the rear deck vent is as an exhaust for the air that the HVAC system pushes into the cabin from the front, so not blocking it completely would probably be better to ensure proper ventilation of the cabin.

Anyway, I'd also like to learn more about this insulation since a lot of the road noise seems to enter through the trunk.

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes please let us know. I am wearing out my keyboard looking for it.
I am happy to test. I think it would be a great seller!

Firewired

The eBay mat is pretty neat. I wonder if it really would cut down on any road noise. The subwoofer is in the trunk, I also wonder if blocking the sound tunnel (opening for subwoofer) in roof of trunk would affect the quality of bass when listening to music. What do you all think?

boppo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The eBay mat is pretty neat. I wonder if it really would cut down on any road noise. The subwoofer is in the trunk, I also wonder if blocking the sound tunnel (opening for subwoofer) in roof of trunk would affect the quality of bass when listening to music. What do you all think?
I like it If it works and does not block the subwoofer. It also cleans that area up.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I had my '12 & '18 Volts, a lot of us bought Volt Shelves to provide a rear deck to reduce road noise and reduce the cabin size that needed to be heated in the winter.

IF I knew this reduced noise noticeably, I'd be all over it.

P99GUY

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Unplugged

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably....my first thought as well. Will prob kill your bass. I thought that was an air pass through as well.

Ski
I also read that the grill in the rear deck is a bass port. It only makes sense given that the subwoofer is placed facing the rear of the car in the trunk. In fact, I can't imagine why Tesla would have gone to the expense of putting in a hole in the rear deck with a grill if not for a bass port.

Last edited: