Model 3 Test Drive Reviews (TEXT only)

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This one has a video that goes with it but the interesting part is in the written review. Here's a quote I found interesting and it's the first time I've heard it from anyone:

"On the cruise control side, Tesla indicated that the right thumbwheel on the steering wheel will be repurposed to allow the changing of speed"

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-tesla-model-3-long-range/review/

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The lack of a proper source reference makes it tough for me to believe this article.

But... it seems such an obvious thing to do. Hopefully it does get implemented. What does the right scroll wheel currently control during driving?
Currently the right side, according to everything I've read or seen only does voice activation with a push-in. Cnet also did a separate video on the UI and at one point they stated that either side button could be used to skip tracks by pushing left/right. That is either new or they had the info wrong. Any current owners want to verify this? I hope they don't duplicate controls from side to side, does't seem very "Tesla" to me.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The CNET article is very interesting. Apparently they had a Tesla person that was attentive to their critique and suggested there were future mods to the wiper controls and the cruise controls. These make a lot of sense but we can’t say if this Tesla rep had any more knowledge than the showroom reps who seem to be full of inaccurate info.

The tidbit about ongoing Gigafactory battery issues suggests that the bottleneck still lies there. If this is the case, it’s possible that we will see AWD before standard battery as they likely won’t add variations to the subassembly line that is having the biggest problems.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Nice review in this Verge article of the MCR Model 3 previously reviewed by Marques Brownlee, credit to @teslaliving who posted it on his Twitter account :

Note Marques’ observation that a fully loaded Model 3 at 60 grand is a better choice than a base Model S... ;)

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"Tesla fires back with own test results"

Sigh. C'mon Fred, Tesla didn't "fire back". That headline makes it sound like they aren't taking this seriously.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm sure some will focus on the "how come they didn't notice this problem before" but I'm in the "holy cow how awesome is technology" camp.

""
I’m right there with you. What other CEO would even engage in this kind of dialog and what other company would or could do something like this? I simply love this company!!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
People don't buy the Tesla Model 3s for its stopping distance, how many clicks it takes to adjust your fans, or its luxury. They buy it for its tech and performance, or at least I did. Oh, BTW, you never have to stop at a gas station again and you do your little part at not polluting the plant.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Elon makes Model 3 brakes amazing.
Now more than ever, all teenage boys on the planet want the Model 3
stopping-short-gif.9088

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Car & Driver's earlier review of the Model 3 (#7288) in March noted similarly strange braking hesitation... maybe it is all in the software of earlier builds. The hardware seems big enough given it's weight compared to similar cars.

*See full test sheet attached.

https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-3

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Chances are this brake issue can be fixed OTA, given that first run, it stopped around 130 ft and subsequent runs didn't.

"In our testing of the Model 3, the first stop we recorded was significantly shorter (around 130 feet, similar to Tesla’s findings), but that distance was not repeated, even after we let the brakes cool overnight." --Consumer Reports

Vin

Country
Country
Sorry OP I went off subject a little, so here is my review post, recently read from Top Gear...

...There is no ‘Ludicrous Mode’, there’s no four-wheel drive, there’s no adjustable air suspension (just fixed rate springs and dampers)… but who cares when frankly, the Model 3 never feels anything less than enthusiastically fast. If we’re keeping the 3 Series comparison rolling, then the rush of acceleration is more 340i than M3, but because it’s perfectly linear, because there are no gear changes required, because you’re never caught off boost, it feels more lively than a 340i, more of the time.