@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good review (serious or not... :D)

My (humble) observation on Twitter...

Of course, I also still want a HUD... ;)
I have recently switched from no EAP to yes EAP. Reading the review doesn’t change my mind.

The fact that the screen is off to the right isn’t a deal breaker to me at all. My rationale is that I don’t “trust” the system, so I’m still going to watch the road. Given that, it doesn’t really matter where the screen is.

As for the adjustments of speed and follow distance. I’m not concerned and I suspect Roy’s comments are potentially what will happen (controlled via steering wheel scroll wheels). It will get better over time.

The biggest part for me is that I can click it on and for 70 miles of highway driving each day not have to worry about a thing!

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have recently switched from no EAP to yes EAP. Reading the review doesn’t change my mind.

The fact that the screen is off to the right isn’t a deal breaker to me at all. My rationale is that I don’t “trust” the system, so I’m still going to watch the road. Given that, it doesn’t really matter where the screen is.

As for the adjustments of speed and follow distance. I’m not concerned and I suspect Roy’s comments are potentially what will happen (controlled via steering wheel scroll wheels). It will get better over time.

The biggest part for me is that I can click it on and for 70 miles of highway driving each day not have to worry about a thing!
I agree that the follow distance is a pretty insignicat gripe. I set it at 1, then never touched it again. However, after driving for 4,500 miles, I can honestly say that the TACC/AP speed adjustment is awful. You have to take your eyes off the road, find the plus or minus button on the screen, and peck at it like a chicken with your eyes off the road the entire time. And if you’re in traffic and not going the max speed you’d want to go when you engage, you have to mess with it every single time to set the max speed. Have gloves on? Even worse. It just would have been so much cleaner and intuitive with a stalk. The wheel adjustment is a better idea, but still inferior to the stalk IMHO. This is really my only complaint about the car and it is pretty minor.

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Since the right scroll wheel doesn't seem to do anything at the moment I think Tesla will map EAP speed adjust to that. They could also use the left/right function on the same scroll wheel to adjust following distance. Seems like a no-brainer (I hope).

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since the right scroll wheel doesn't seem to do anything at the moment I think Tesla will map EAP speed adjust to that. They could also use the left/right function on the same scroll wheel to adjust following distance. Seems like a no-brainer (I hope).
And with this they could also use the push in to function as set/disable. That would give full control and would make sense.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@danzgator Very nice of you to participate in this with Alex and Congrats on the Cannonball EV record. Too bad it won't stand long as charging is more efficient and range will increase in warmer weather. I hope you've already blocked time out in the summer to do it again!

Regarding the review, I think it was more balanced and objective than most write ups. I would venture a guess that prior to this, he had experience primarily with AP1 which is still superior to the AP2.5 of the M3. I based this on the screenshot on his article showing the motorcycle in the display which AP2 doesn't differentiate on the display yet.

He is absolutely right about the utility of the center display when using Nav and AP. While driving I rarely look towards the center screen because of the clarity and usefulness of the driver display. In fact, when I have a passenger unbuckle for whatever reason, I lose the driver Nav screen because of the unbuckle warning and I find I'm completely unable to follow the nav directions on the center screen.

I do use the stalk frequently for speed adjustments while in AP because if you're in traffic and the person ahead of you switches lanes, I find the car accelerates unnecessarily hard to only brake unnecessarily late when someone else switches lanes in front of you.

Unless Tesla or aftermarket HUD come out and they fix the AP speed adjustment issue and AP becomes more refined and accurate, AP will be off my list when I buy my M3. As a human operated car, it will blow away any other competitor currently available.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Shockingly good review by Road & Track! :cool:

Great review, but the writer lost me here. What's he talking about? Something pertaining to the circular skid video below it?

As the sun went out behind Bay Area clouds, there was one thing left to do. It involved disconnecting some crucial components. The method is not described in any owner’s manual or handbook; the option is unavailable from the touchscreen. Your service department likely would not be happy with you attempting it. The car certainly wasn’t.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great review, but the writer lost me here. What's he talking about? Something pertaining to the circular skid video below it?

As the sun went out behind Bay Area clouds, there was one thing left to do. It involved disconnecting some crucial components. The method is not described in any owner’s manual or handbook; the option is unavailable from the touchscreen. Your service department likely would not be happy with you attempting it. The car certainly wasn’t.
Yes, he lost me a bit also. I think they disconnected the traction control somehow in order to get the car to skid for that video. Should of explained it better than what they did though. Probably worried about the liability of someone duplicating their efforts.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, he lost me a bit also. I think they disconnected the traction control somehow in order to get the car to skid for that video. Should of explained it better than what they did though. Probably worried about the liability of someone duplicating their efforts.
Thanks for the confirmation--I thought I missed a paragraph. Your guess makes sense, but I have no idea how they would do that. Not that I would try that at home...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
on a similar note, the Know You Know guys how the 3 doing donuts in the snow and describe 'pulling' the e-brake by pressing the gear button to engage park. Then once the car comes to a stop, it goes into park. Not sure I'd seen that in the manual, so may be a good bit of into to know in case of an emergency (or a wide open parking lot during a snow storm).

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Courtesy of @EVANNEX via Twitter, USA Today’s rather favorable review comes in handy, despite a few approximation or signs of (deliberate?) ignorance, not the least of which concerns the reference to 400k reservations, which I continue to consider way under the reality...

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Extensive, 4 day review from a Model S owner who rented a Model 3 in California. Seems objective.
We’re starting to get a pattern of comments suggesting the far right position of navigation sequencing on the screen is an UI area for improvement.
Hope T≡SLA will listen... (from your HUD-deprived mod... ;))

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was looking at some photos I had saved as backgrounds for my laptop and noticed this one:
tesla-model-3-autopilot-traffic-steering-wheel-2-jpg.5187

Looks like at some point they had the turn-by-turn on the left-hand side of the navigation display. Seems to make a lot more sense. I wonder what made them change it.

Edit: If you look closely, the user is 'OCDetailing', which would suggest that it was a production car. Could there be some way that most people haven't found to undock and move the turn-by-turn?

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was looking at some photos I had saved as backgrounds for my laptop and noticed this one:
View attachment 5187
Looks like at some point they had the turn-by-turn on the left-hand side of the navigation display. Seems to make a lot more sense. I wonder what made them change it.

Edit: If you look closely, the user is 'OCDetailing', which would suggest that it was a production car. Could there be some way that most people haven't found to undock and move the turn-by-turn?
The turn by turn was on the left side then one of the updates moved it to the right side. AFAIK it's not something the user can change.