Model 3 Test Drive Reviews (TEXT only)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Opening new thread for Model 3 reviews without videos. Here’s an interesting example just posted by Inside EV journalist Tom Molougney, also a reservation holder. Not near as thorough as what @TrevP and @Kennethbokor did, of course, yet still offering a balanced view with a positive conclusion, despite some (for me at least) understandable ‘nitpicks’, some of which good suggestions for kaizen (aka continuous improvement...).

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this link Mike. I loved, loved your review. I’m currently driving a Boxster, and have no fears about the change to the Model 3 (except giving up the convertible aspect!)
Thank you, the Boxster is one of my favorite cars and I am also giving up a convertible for the Model 3, so I'm right there with you. It won't feel as sporty as what your driving now but then again I don't know of any 4 door that would. It will however give you that rush of driving excitement that so others many are missing. I also love the interior design of current Porsche cars and although it's a complete 180 in philosophy the quality of materials, fit, finish and tightness of the interior should make you feel right at home. As long as you don't have a severe allergic reaction to lack of buttons!

Kbm3

Country
Country
Thank you, the Boxster is one of my favorite cars and I am also giving up a convertible for the Model 3, so I'm right there with you. It won't feel as sporty as what your driving now but then again I don't know of any 4 door that would. It will however give you that rush of driving excitement that so others many are missing. I also love the interior design of current Porsche cars and although it's a complete 180 in philosophy the quality of materials, fit, finish and tightness of the interior should make you feel right at home. As long as you don't have a severe allergic reaction to lack of buttons!
It is possible I’ll keep the Boxster as well, though that is quite expensive (its a 2016). I decided my last gas car should have one of the great engines.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
despite some (for me at least) understandable ‘nitpicks’,
Like three paragraphs on wipers? And this, from the Department of Redundancy Department:

Another nitpick I have about the need to interact with the center screen, is that you need to do so in order to increase or lower your speed when using the ACC.

Once you set the speed, if you want to change it, you need to do that from the center screen, unless you deactivate the ACC, negotiate to your desired speed and re-activate the ACC. I’d prefer if I could increase or lower the set speed by lifting or lowering the stalk that activates it, instead of needing to tap the center screen.

Maybe blame the editor for that one. Nevertheless, it's good to read various perspectives. Thanks for posting, Michael!

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like three paragraphs on wipers? And this, from the Department of Redundancy Department:

Another nitpick I have about the need to interact with the center screen, is that you need to do so in order to increase or lower your speed when using the ACC.

Once you set the speed, if you want to change it, you need to do that from the center screen, unless you deactivate the ACC, negotiate to your desired speed and re-activate the ACC. I’d prefer if I could increase or lower the set speed by lifting or lowering the stalk that activates it, instead of needing to tap the center screen.

Maybe blame the editor for that one. Nevertheless, it's good to read various perspectives. Thanks for posting, Michael!
“One thing I disliked about the Model 3 is this thing that will be changed soon in a software update, but I didn’t say that because it doesn’t increase traffic to my website” - Lovesword, editor for hire, showcasing my skills

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Opening new thread for Model 3 reviews without videos. Here’s an interesting example just posted by Inside EV journalist Tom Molougney, also a reservation holder. Not near as thorough as what @TrevP and @Kennethbokor did, of course, yet still offering a balanced view with a positive conclusion, despite some (for me at least) understandable ‘nitpicks’, some of which good suggestions for kaizen (aka continuous improvement...).

I found this review too nit picky. It's balanced with his thumb on the scale.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found this review too nit picky. It's balanced with his thumb on the scale.
I liked this review. I already know the basics of what makes a Tesla great. It felt like this review had someone more like me in mind for the audience. These sorts of particulars are more interesting to me.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I came across this one on TMC from an existing S owner and thought it was great hearing his immediate reactions to the 3

"WOW !!!:):):):):):):)

Exceeded my expectations!!! But Grandson still loves the red MS.

Delivery process was smooth as could be. (They make sum stellar coffee drinks at Fremont)

Took 15 seconds to get used to the center display. Only caught myself once glancing behind steering wheel for the turn signal indicator.
Basically a non issue.

Being a previous owner, only a few new things.
Charge port closes itself (woohoo!!)
Side mirrors fold in automatically.
Paired to App easily
Love the wood grain (was skeptical but quality workmanship)
The new air flow control seems adequate, but not a big fan (no pun) of it - anyway non issue for me as we rarely experience temp extremes.

Driving: very sprightly, semi stiff ride, good visual in all directions, had some trouble with voice commands, sound system much better than average, No FM - but promised soon, Nav good - but being upgraded soon, roomy front and rear - I'm not a tall person - 6 ft, but sure back seat adequate for most,

Followed my wife (mostly) in her MS home for about 2 hours. (I believe this has more pickup than hers and hers has almost constantly maintained 315 kWH (or whatever the acronym is) but the M3 avg 255 and I didn't baby it - remarkable!!

Cell phone user ran me to the edge of the road and I was easily able to avoid and maintain control. The HIT BRAKES warning worked well at one point.

Haven't tried Homelink yet, had trouble scheduling charging for tonight (will work on later), but charged ok with Tesla HPWC to 40 Amps and also 120v 12 amp outlet. We will be charging mostly with the 120 (the MS uses the HPWC) as this one will be driven much less per day.

Didn't use Supercharger - Gilroy was packed - stopped at Seaside, but only connected the MS (and did a Costco donation)

Will try it out on the Del Monte SC maybe tomorrow just to make sure it works okay. Informed that 'any' supercharging will cost - and different prices at each. A non issue - we rarely need it.

Can't think of anything else except not enough daylight hours in the day - really itching to do more !!

A remarkable $50k + car. (As we see BMW disappear over the horizon) And at $35k - it's a steal !!!!

Kudos to EM and his team!! Hate to be the bearer of bad news - meaning that insomnia on the night before delivery will getcha!!

See you guys out on the road."

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This is an interesting one by an existing Model S P85D owner... (seemingly well off by the looks of his future plans...)... Guess what the conclusion is? ;)

https://280group.com/product-management-blog/keep-new-model-3-old-model-s/

Edited: With more details on -and credit to - the ‘source’... (@TrevP and @SoFlaModel3 , you’ll know what I’m alluding to here... :D)

@Michael Russo,

Interesting write up he did on 280 Group. One thing confused me though....he compares the S to the 3 and says “No ability to carry/fit bikes in the trunk”? Elon specifically said you can fit a bike in the trunk(maybe not 2) and I specifically saw a photo of an owner with the seats folded down and a bike in the trunk. What gives? Did he not fold the seats down and that is what his opinion is based on?
I was planning on throwing my road bike in the trunk due to no tow hitch.

Ski

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Michael Russo,

Interesting write up he did on 280 Group. One thing confused me though....he compares the S to the 3 and says “No ability to carry/fit bikes in the trunk”? Elon specifically said you can fit a bike in the trunk(maybe not 2) and I specifically saw a photo of an owner with the seats folded down and a bike in the trunk. What gives? Did he not fold the seats down and that is what his opinion is based on?
I was planning on throwing my road bike in the trunk due to no tow hitch.

Ski
I think he was referring to the ease of access with the hatchback on the S vs the smaller trunk opening of the 3. Sounded like he gets 2 bikes in the S pretty easy, don't know if that is possible with the 3. One fits, I've seen pics, don't know if anyone has attempted to shoe-horn 2 in. In any case it would not be an easy task.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I think he was referring to the ease of access with the hatchback on the S vs the smaller trunk opening of the 3. Sounded like he gets 2 bikes in the S pretty easy, don't know if that is possible with the 3. One fits, I've seen pics, don't know if anyone has attempted to shoe-horn 2 in. In any case it would not be an easy task.
@Skione65 , not having seen the trunk open myself vs. my imprint of the one in an S, I think Mike’s response is sound...