Model 3 Teardown - first info from Munro & Assoc.

Kennethbokor

Country
Country
Thought this is a very interesting first Video from these guys regarding initial findings for the Model 3.

I did not think to closely about the EMS access/responsiveness issues that they highlight. The door handles comment IMO is very personally subjective.

However, the other initial observations are quite surprising. They don't state a VIN or when they got this Model 3, but it seems to be very recently so I am guessing the is not an early production but a more recent production car.

I'm not trying to paint a negative picture on the Model 3, however there is so much hype (yes I include myself in that arena) for it that any negative comments get swept under the table as coming from "tesla haters" or the like.

I don't fully know the reputation for this Company in this video, however with John McElroy involved, he does provide some stable credibility.

It will be interesting to see what further information their full "teardown" provides, however with this early information, it is disappointing to see all this coming from Tesla and a car that costs over $50,000 USD.

Early production or not, IMO lack of quality and functionality is not an excuse for building the right product. We know that Tesla has a consistent history in early problems and that is normal being that they are an early car company - don't have 100 years + of auto manufacturing behind them.

I have to admit, I am very surprised that Tesla has not given more thought to the EMS concerns and I agree that in an emergency situation, seconds do count.

Have a look at the video and let us know what you think.

It's good to report on the good, bad and ugly of this industry and that is what I try to do. I'm not bashing just opening thoughts from another viewpoint.

Country
Country
I didn't find listening to this Luddite interesting at all.

I put way more emphasis on the first new, successful American car company in almost a century, building a cleaner, less climate-changing, car that increases our national security by making us less dependent on oil from places and people that hate us. This is to say nothing of its good looks and performance, which is icing on the cake.

I wouldn't give a damn what he thinks, either, other than it hurts adoption of a better thing.

Keep waving your fist at the clouds, Abraham Simpson.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
quite frankly, the guy does bring up some VERY valid points. I'm not too crazy about having no mechanical option to have the rear doors opened from the inside.. Also, no mechanical ability to open the bonnet in the event of a power loss or accident. We'll all be sure to check build tolerances at delivery, but something like the trunk lid being off that much - Im not sure how much tesla could do after the fact?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The EMS training for TM3 and the hood will involve the saws-all cutting at the hood emblem for 2 seconds to release the hood. The rest of that "release the hood is impossible" discussion sounded like a Fox news moment.

Some observations have validity (the rubber seals on the frameless doors look as bad as was on my old 70s Continental) but the whole EMS/lawyers comments leaves the impression of a hidden agenda.

On the other hand, if these comments can get a mechanical rear door release mechanism to be implemented, then so much the better.

Would be interested to know the VIN.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TL;DWatch the video?

Out of the entirety that is this car, our prestigious non-ICE affiliated organization has decided to spend 100% of the vídeo we made focusing on the few negatives we found while not offering a shred of data in regards to build date or VIN of the vehicle in question or any info about our research patterns. We do shout out things like 90s Kia and rely solely on the reputation of some of our colleagues though, so...watch/subscribe/like!!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TL;DWatch the video?

Out of the entirety that is this car, our prestigious non-ICE affiliated organization has decided to spend 100% of the vídeo we made focusing on the few negatives we found while not offering a shred of data in regards to build date or VIN of the vehicle in question or any info about our research patterns. We do shout out things like 90s Kia and rely solely on the reputation of some of our colleagues though, so...watch/subscribe/like!!!
I don't think these two guys are Tesla's key audience. maybe a old school buick would make them happier

phil0909

Country
Country
Some observations have validity (the rubber seals on the frameless doors look as bad as was on my old 70s Continental)
Yes, I thought that was the most disconcerting item - they say Tesla glued on an extra piece of rubber window seal, because the first piece was too small. Not exactly the quality work you'd expect from alien dreadnought manufacturing technology. What does that say about the way this car is being built?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I thought that was the most disconcerting item - they say Tesla glued on an extra piece of rubber window seal, because the first piece was too small. Not exactly the quality work you'd expect from alien dreadnought manufacturing technology. What does that say about the way this car is being built?
It's so minor, I would say "not much."

Jayc

Country
Country
Hey if someone wants to spend their time and effort to give some feedback , that's all positive in my book.

In this case, most of the issues raised may not be valid but it is still feedback. If Tesla looks at it and takes away 1% of useful information for future improvement, that's a win for those of us waiting for the Model 3.

On the other hand, if the intent of the video was to discourage potential buyers of Model 3 then that is a failed mission right from the start.

Last edited:

NRG4All

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Thought this is a very interesting first Video from these guys regarding initial findings for the Model 3.

I did not think to closely about the EMS access/responsiveness issues that they highlight. The door handles comment IMO is very personally subjective.

However, the other initial observations are quite surprising. They don't state a VIN or when they got this Model 3, but it seems to be very recently so I am guessing the is not an early production but a more recent production car.

I'm not trying to paint a negative picture on the Model 3, however there is so much hype (yes I include myself in that arena) for it that any negative comments get swept under the table as coming from "tesla haters" or the like.

I don't fully know the reputation for this Company in this video, however with John McElroy involved, he does provide some stable credibility.

It will be interesting to see what further information their full "teardown" provides, however with this early information, it is disappointing to see all this coming from Tesla and a car that costs over $50,000 USD.

Early production or not, IMO lack of quality and functionality is not an excuse for building the right product. We know that Tesla has a consistent history in early problems and that is normal being that they are an early car company - don't have 100 years + of auto manufacturing behind them.

I have to admit, I am very surprised that Tesla has not given more thought to the EMS concerns and I agree that in an emergency situation, seconds do count.

Have a look at the video and let us know what you think.

It's good to report on the good, bad and ugly of this industry and that is what I try to do. I'm not bashing just opening thoughts from another viewpoint.
Thank you Kenneth. I am so glad to see that all of what are considered design defects for my use and situation are relatively small. Thus, when Tesla bashers rate the car as inferior, I know what they are talking about and how that would affect me.

NRG4All

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I suspect that many of these items have been noticed by Tesla. The problem is that once the defect is found it takes considerable time for the vendor to make new molds, stampings, whatever. Thus, these first units (under heavy pressure to deliver them) will be far different than than when Tesla produces 100,000 of the Model 3. As long as it fulfills its primary mission and that is transportation from point A to point B, I think a lot of these early glitches will be forgiven.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
The problem with this video is that it has set aside any pretense of bias.
He attributes "engineering issues" to personal preferences or bemoans some "issues" as wild and unsual "never seen that before" which actually exist on other current cars or is worse on other cars.
So much concentrated negativity and wild exaggeration invalidates his work and makes him look stupid.
I would suggest his target audience is GM or Ford workers to help them feel good about their cars, almost the reverse of the horror movie BMW used to scare their workers into why EVs were important.