Model 3 Steering column rattle noise

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I own a 2018 Model 3 approaching it's 1 year purchase anniversary with approx 12,000 miles. Recently, 've discovered a very annoying rattle from the steering column area.

I made a service appointment with a local Tesla S.C. and received a text message stating there will be a $97.50 diagnostic fee ( for starters) unless a faulty part is found. IMO ..... there's an improperly installed or broken part that has loosened causing the rattle. The Tesla service rep replied there is no warranty for rattles or noise. ......Do I give test rides to prospective Tesla buyers and explain the rattles are included with the $60,000 purchase price at no extra charge?

Has anyone else experienced noise problems with their Tesla and serviced at a service center?

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is why I can’t recommend Tesla anymore. Their customer service is the worst of any product I’ve ever owned. They may have the coolest and best vehicles, but dealing with customer service for something as innocuous as a broken visor clip has me questioning what the premium I paid was for.

And yes, my steering column grinds when I have it set all the way in. Their solution, don’t set it all the way in!?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made a service appointment with a local Tesla S.C. and received a text message stating there will be a $97.50 diagnostic fee ( for starters) unless a faulty part is found. IMO ..... there's an improperly installed or broken part that has loosened causing the rattle. The Tesla service rep replied there is no warranty for rattles or noise. ......Do I give test rides to prospective Tesla buyers and explain the rattles are included with the $60,000 purchase price at no extra charge?
Don't worry about the diagnostic fee, it seems to be a tool to discourage people who constantly visit the service center too often with very minor complaints. The techs I've dealt with have a lot of leeway in determining whether you're charged, and are sympathetic if something is actually broken.

Mark S.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar rattle develop at 11 months - the cause on mine was the plastic cover on the steering column directly behind the steering wheel. I was able to confirm the cause by placing my hand on the part when the noise would start. I scheduled a service visit and got a call from the center to follow-up on the issue, when I described it the rep seemed to be very aware of the issue and said I didn’t need to bring it in, he just ordered the part and scheduled a mobile service visit to install it. Mine was replaced for free but since I was still within the 1yr rattle warranty period.