Model 3 Stays On After Exiting Vehicle

iceman2480

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Has anyone else had this issue? The car won't 'turn off' (I've come to understand that it doesn't actually turn off).

Issue: during driving all systems are operating correctly. When I pull into a parking space, apply the brake, put the vehicle into Park, and undo my seat belt, the system changes to Easy Entry profile automatically. This is correct.
When I open the door, exit the vehicle, and shut the door, the following is happening:
  • car lights stay on
  • touchscreen stays on
  • A/C stays on
  • car does not automatically lock after walking away
  • mirrors do not fold in
  • charge port door will not open from any of the methods to open it (charge cable, touchscreen, app, or manual)
Expected result:
  • lights turn off
  • touchscreen turns off
  • A/C goes into 'cabin maintenance' mode
  • car locks after walking away
  • mirror fold in when car locks
  • all openings on the vehicle operate normally (trunks, ports, doors)
It doesn't seem like phantom touchscreen issues as the touchscreen is behaving normally and the seat occupancy sensor is working properly after testing.

Potential cause: when exiting the vehicle the last 2 times that I duplicated this issue, I have accidentally grazed the brake pedal. When this happens, the car switches back to my driver profile and could potentially be gearing up for another drive cycle.

I contacted support several times. They haven't heard of this issue. They recommended resetting the touchscreen, which I tried several times and it didn't resolve the issue. They recommended powering the car off using the settings menu, which didn't work at all (the screen turns off for 3 seconds and then comes right back on). They recommended taking it to a service center, which I did this morning.

The service center in Dallas hasn't heard of this yet so we'll see what they say. I'll post updates here.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This happened to me once before. After driving myself crazy for hours with rebooting, customer service, etc I was embarrased when I finally figured out the problem...the passenger door wasn't completely closed. It looked like it was but when I pushed on it, it closed a little more and the car turned off. Recommend opening and reclosing all of the doors and trunks to make sure they're fully closed.

iceman2480

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This happened to me once before. After driving myself crazy for hours with rebooting, customer service, etc I was embarrased when I finally figured out the problem...the passenger door wasn't completely closed. It looked like it was but when I pushed on it, it closed a little more and the car turned off. Recommend opening and reclosing all of the doors and trunks to make sure they're fully closed.
Thank you I will let Service know to see if that resolves the issue. Much appreciated!

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does that too. Always. I have had to re-enable the "Walk-Away Lock" setting four times now - it jut won't sty enabled.

I manually turn off AC, AC fan, then "Power Off" and still have to use the phone app lock it. Very annoying.

And just opening a door automagically turns everything back on again.v

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does that too. Always. I have had to re-enable the "Walk-Away Lock" setting four times now - it jut won't sty enabled.

I manually turn off AC, AC fan, then "Power Off" and still have to use the phone app lock it. Very annoying.

And just opening a door automagically turns everything back on again.v
You should give them a call, I set it once after taking delivery and its been working perfectly since then.

iceman2480

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The service center has found the issue and resolved it. Please see below for the response from Tesla service.

“We found the issues with your vehicle to all be related to failed firmware due to the brake pedal switch being misaligned. We adjusted the switch, pushed firmware, and everything is now operating as designed.”

ChrisHH

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would love it if walk away lock worked instantly, as in it knows if anyone is in the car so if I put it in park and get out it should lock when I close the door. not wait till I am 15-25 feet from the car

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would love it if walk away lock worked instantly, as in it knows if anyone is in the car so if I put it in park and get out it should lock when I close the door. not wait till I am 15-25 feet from the car
The downside to that would be if you were cleaning the car or unloading things. It'd be on-off, lock-unlock constantly...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The service center has found the issue and resolved it. Please see below for the response from Tesla service.

“We found the issues with your vehicle to all be related to failed firmware due to the brake pedal switch being misaligned. We adjusted the switch, pushed firmware, and everything is now operating as designed.”
Hey just wondering, have you had the issue at all since the service appointment? I'm having the same issue but live 2+ hours from a service center so I don't want to bring it in if it's something that can't be fixed quickly.

mildrewj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had this issue intermittently since delivery in August. Even took it in to SC with no resolution. Hard for techs to reproduce, especially since I didn't leave my phone. Drove a loaner Model S and the walk-away features worked fine 100% of the time. I think it was having the FOB in my purse that made the difference?

TheJohn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have had the car 8 days and this problem started today. The brake pedal is not returning to the full up position. I figured something was way wrong when in park the charging door would not function and the brake lights were on even when selecting all lights to the off position. Put a bit of up pressure under the pedal ......Red lights off all is well. Will take it to the service center for adjustment.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have this issue going on for few months on our Model 3, showed it to the Mobile Ranger when he was here to fix something else. He reported the issue along with the timestamp. The Diagnosis team recommended replacing the Center Screen and Brake Pedal Switch. They just put the order in for the parts. I should be getting a call soon once they have the parts in.