Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts
how they'll offer test drives, for that matter.
I just realized that they'll probably move to a "come to the customer" approach for test drives. So they'll have to retain folks specifically for this purpose. However, this is probably a better way to do test drives, as long as demand isn't too high.

The reality is that, EVERY new hot model car that comes out, the dealer usually marks up the vehicle by significant amount and doesn't discount them. Its only after a period of time when the supply catches up with the demand does the price drop.

I recall buying Mini Cooper, when it first came out and the dealers where charging a significant markup for them. I ordered the vehicle to be custom built and took about 6~7 months but did get it for MSRP window price without the markup. A year later, they were being discounted below the sticker. So you see, if you look at the cost behavior, its nothing new from that perspective (I realize that the particulars that caused the price differences are very different).
Great post. Remember when people paid 10k over sticker for a PT Cruiser? Talk about crazy. I got a 2005 Mustang GT when they came out and dealers were getting 8k over sticker. The hard part with this is TESLA is the one setting the price not dealerships we like to blame. It is a simple supply demand issue.

Phones with cars? No, most of my post is meant to read about early adoption.
Actually, you did. But I do see the larger point you are attempting to making here. I'm just not sure I agree with it 100%.

I certainly don't agree with this:

Also, the price WILL go down again after the tax credit halves again. And it WILL go down after it goes away
Only time will tell as we are both speculating here.

Its a question of economics -- Tesla has to make money to survive. Todays move was to increase sales in North America and to roll back store fronts is a direct effort to allow them to do so. They stated that clearly right in their official announcement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the analogy you quoted is spot on here, but it's not as if there has to be a precedence for every decision they make, because they're not at all your typical car company.
Agreed, thats why I said it makes one think they are just making it up as the go along.

As far as your comment on test drives, I think they spoke to their new direction on this in todays announcement. They are shaking up that auto industry model on this as well.

Agreed, thats why I said it makes one think they are just making it up as the go along.

As far as your comment on test drives, I think they spoke to their new direction on this in todays announcement. They are shaking up that auto industry model on this as well.
Well, yes, they kind of have to shake things up as they go. Show me another American automaker that's been created in the last half century that has succeeded, at least with anything resembling a mass produced product. And Tesla is trying to do it with BEVs as their only offerings, no less. That's no small feat. So, yeah, it makes sense that to break into markets further that they'd have to do so, at least if they want to keep pushing things forward and finding a way to do so without repeatedly betting the company at each turn or selling to another tech or auto brand (something they don't seem to want to do for now).

After all, we're talking about a barely decade old company who has only mass produced cars for less than seven of those years and sells cars with only their own retail sales and service footprint.

Does the pace of change come off as chaotic sometimes? Yeah. It's kind of bound to, though, until they hit a critical mass in the marketplace. They could have remained a boutique manufacturer (and profitable) after their first few vehicles, but that was never their only goal.

With regard to the test drive thing, I did see that in their statement. My thoughts are that there is a notable portion of the owner base that reserved sight unseen, so for many test drives were not a requirement. So for those folks (or ones who are buying because they know an owner) this makes a lot of sense. For those for whom a test drive is non-negotiable, I am not sure I foresee people going through all of the purchase steps simply to drive it. I do see some benefit to there being some kind of a "we'll come to you" option for test drives, if even on a limited basis. I think that type of person who want a test drive will only be more common as they increase their market share and add vehicles. I suppose we'll see.

Is there any info on when the AWD Standard or Medium Range battery will be available. It's really where my aim is. Normal commutes to work and back. But also making sure it drives well in winters.
I have to wonder what the range on a Standard Range AWD car will be. Will it bottom out at 215 miles of range or even lower?

I wonder what will happen to cars that are returned. Will they start showing up on Tesla's used inventory for sale at some discount based on mileage?

Also curious if there are any details available on the battery packs in SR and SRP. Are there fewer cells in SR compared to SRP, or is the capacity/range limited by software?

I wonder what will happen to cars that are returned. Will they start showing up on Tesla's used inventory for sale at some discount based on mileage?

Also curious if there are any details available on the battery packs in SR and SRP. Are there fewer cells in SR compared to SRP, or is the capacity/range limited by software?
Yep it will be an 'inventory' car with a slight mark down.

Another question I would have is in states where they aren't allowed to 'sell' cars like Texas what will they do with the cars that are returned. Would they have to truck them back out of state to sell them again?

Another question I would have is in states where they aren't allowed to 'sell' cars like Texas what will they do with the cars that are returned. Would they have to truck them back out of state to sell them again?
Nah, the cars will just be able to drive themselves back to the factory. :)

I have EAP and FSD now showing as $3K upgrade for me. My original order was placed in June 2018, and I think that was the FSD price when I ordered.
It's important to note that, as of yesterday, what used to be EAP no longer exists, for new orders. Navigate on Autopilot, advanced summon and autopark have all moved to the FSD package. So it's not an apples to apples comparison, unless someone was not interested in any of those specific features, I suppose.

It's important to note that, as of yesterday, what used to be EAP no longer exists, for new orders. Navigate on Autopilot, advanced summon and autopark have all moved to the FSD package. So it's not an apples to apples comparison, unless someone was not interested in any of those specific features, I suppose.
I have learned from Tesla over the past year that certain features are real features and certain features are 'vaporware' that they sell as value that really don't give you much.

All of the features of EAP that were moved to FSD are really still vaporware to me. Let me explain why for each one.
NOA - If you take a AP1 car or EAP before this was released this currently only does two extra things. It tells you to change lanes so you can pass cars or be in the correct lane for an exit (which you could have seen on your screen anyway) and it automatically turns on the turn signal and takes an exit. That's it. The points Tesla makes on paper really aren't realistic with my car yet. It cannot change lanes reliably and everything NOA does I have to watch over so much and can't rely on it so it is still vaporware. The intention isn't implemented to my satisfaction yet.
Autopark - For my car I get the autopark prompt in two situations. 1 when I am in traffic and it thinks the cars stopped in the lane next to me are a parking lot and wants me to park in between then. and 2 when I am already 50% done parking it shows up. Every time I try to get Autopark to work it never pops up until I am mostly done parking. Then if I enable it it exits the spot and does it all over again which is very inefficient.
Summon - It cannot get in my garage on its own. The only value I have used is one time when someone pinned me in I used it to get my car out but I could have gotten in but it would have been tight. I know some get value out of it but most of the time I have tried it it gives up halfway through the process. The "Advanced" features really aren't even apparent at this point. This was supposed to be in a 'couple weeks' starting at the beginning of the year.

With that said now you can get the usable part of EAP for $3k which I think is good. If you want vaporware you can pay $5k more :)

Welcome to the new ummgood that is going to look at all of Tesla's promises more reasonable instead of a child looking forward to going to Disney World.

Reactions: RoadToLevel5
Can anyone explain the "4 USB ports" stuff for the standard interior? By this, I mean...

In my premium interior Model 3, there's 2 USB ports behind the phone docks and 2 in the back seat on the back side of the center console. As I remember it, the descriptions of PUP was that it ADDED the 2 rear USB ports and that the non-PUP interior would lack these rear USB ports.

So, did they just decide to make them standard instead? Or are there 2 new ports under the armrest?

(Does anyone outside of Tesla even know the answer to this? I can't find any visuals of the standard interior back seat on Tesla.com.)

I want to personally thank all the buyers of the early model 3s and performance models to help make the $35,000 base model 3 possible. We could not have done it without you.

Without your investment in the car and the company, Tesla would not have been able to get this far.

The same thanks goes to Model s and X buyers.

Can anyone explain the "4 USB ports" stuff for the standard interior? By this, I mean...

In my premium interior Model 3, there's 2 USB ports behind the phone docks and 2 in the back seat on the back side of the center console. As I remember it, the descriptions of PUP was that it ADDED the 2 rear USB ports and that the non-PUP interior would lack these rear USB ports.

So, did they just decide to make them standard instead? Or are there 2 new ports under the armrest?

(Does anyone outside of Tesla even know the answer to this? I can't find any visuals of the standard interior back seat on Tesla.com.)
I'm assuming it's a single 4 port location. Close enough to the rear seating for someone to easily plug in, but not the same level of convenience.

I'm personally curious how many (if any) of those ports will be data.

I'm assuming they are in the same locations as the PUP. Tesla made quite a few changes to the plans for the standard interior. The glass roof wasn't included, but now is. I think they're standardizing on parts a bit.

With that said now you can get the usable part of EAP for $3k which I think is good.
You're preaching to the choir! I didn't even purchase EAP. Then again, my daily miles, at least during the week are just too low to make EAP a sensible purchase for me. The AP trial honestly did nothing to sway that decision. TACC is probably the nicest part, something that I would like to have, but certainly not worth $5k to me.

As AP gets better (by better I don't mean more capable, just more reliable at what it already tries to do), I may consider it at the lower price. Then again, I'll probably wait on the sidelines to see exactly how good HW3 makes things before I commit to anything with the new AP or FSD features. For me, I'm not sure the value is there unless it's doing L4 reliably.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.