Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Model 3 SR (base) is available!

16K views 95 replies 41 participants last post by  MrMannilow 
#1 ·
Did the range calculations get bumped? I see 325 for the LR RWD, now. It used to be 310. Is this an actual improvement or just a revision in the range calculation?
Revision. Some say the real range is 330

#2 ·
This. How do we get them to throw us a bone? Lol I wasn't even THAT early. I bought mine a year after they started deliveries.
It looks like the top-end Model X dropped $27k from what it was a few weeks ago. I think they have more of an argument, but other than the 3 performance refund I've never seen them offer anything retroactively, as their products get updated.

#3 ·
View attachment 22615

It's an absurd price difference for a 7 month differential.

I will still recommend a Tesla, but never, ever, ever will I recommend early buying. I completely understand where Tesla is at and how the larger purchases are funding the pathway to lower cost Teslas, but this timeline is absolutely absurd.

I 100% have buyer's remorse.
I just bought mine in November to rush the tax credits and I'm still upset they slashed the prices due to the federal insensitive ending. I have buyers remorse as well. I'll never buy another new one

#4 · (Edited)
What are you talking about? Without taking tax credits into consideration there is an $8000 difference. I got the $7500 tax credit. If I bought now I would only get the $3750 tax credit but that is still a difference of $4,250.
Sorry, I should clarify I was only comparing my personal difference, not yours. I also missed a line item from my order's total when I mentioned the difference earlier. So the actual difference for me is $1750 compared to what I purchased 9 months ago.

Would I like to have some of that back? Sure!
Do I expect it to happen? No.

The way they're doing this is closing the sales groups in a LOT of their stores, if not closing some stores outright, which is why we're seeing these price reductions across the board.

#5 ·
July 2018 I received my Black, aero, no-eap, LR Model 3 for $49,000. With the tax credit, it is $41,500. Fast forward to today with today's tax credit applied, my car is $39,250. I'm not epically pissed or have buyers remorse, but I am definitely NOT HAPPY! Even the 5% boost in speed and 325 range doesn't do it, because if i bought it today, i would receive it anyway. This early adopter stuff sucks!

#6 ·
Amazing to see this update in prices. Purchased today, mine would have been $8000 cheaper. But I did receive a $14000 rebate so, I'm still on top. What really kind of hurts me is that for $10K more than what I paid for my LR RWD, I could have got the Performance 3. Ahh well, live and learn. I'm interested in the Y, but I think I will wait that one out.

#7 ·
Did the range calculations get bumped? I see 325 for the LR RWD, now. It used to be 310. Is this an actual improvement or just a revision in the range calculation?
Actual: "We're also excited to announce that we're implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles."

#12 ·
These price reductions actually worry me a bit. They are super drastic so I do wonder about demand. Not enough people know how amazing these cars are.
that combined with estimtatedshipping of 2-4 weeks. and the fact that there 900 million notes is due tomorrow?
yeah def worrisome.. i wonder how long before elon sells out to another car co like mercedes and decides to focus on Mars and underground soely..

#14 ·
Nice interior. I’ll take it!

On second thought, maybe I’ll wait for the Model Y reveal first.

Reactions: HNMAK
#18 ·
UV tinted glass roof is standard! :eek:

All Interiors Include:

• Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Music and media over Bluetooth ®
  • Custom driver profiles

Reactions: jsanford and Kizzy
#30 ·
I've been saying this for awhile. We've had a handful of sources over the last 18 months or so hinting that this was likely to be the case (the glass over the front seats not being changed for non-PUP). It's even been discussed on the forums here and Trev has agreed with this idea and pointed out that their other models have been moving in this direction. So from that point of view, it was not surprising, although I'm sure some non-PUP buyers are happy if they weren't aware!

#22 ·
I wonder how good the "Upgraded audio" is in the PPI. Unlike "Premium audio", there is no mention of the number of speakers.

Other than rear heated seats and premium audio, all upgrades from PPI to PI appear to be software unlocks.

Standard Interior Includes:
  • Manual seat and steering adjustment
  • Cloth seats and base trim
  • Basic audio
  • Standard maps and navigation
  • Center console with storage and 4 USB ports
Partial Premium Interior Includes:
  • 12-way power adjustable heated front seats
  • Premium seat material and trim
  • Upgraded audio - immersive sound
  • Standard maps & navigation
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
Premium Interior Includes:
  • 12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
  • Premium audio - 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
  • In-car internet streaming music & media
  • Internet browser
  • Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
All Interiors Include:
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Music and media over Bluetooth ®
  • Custom driver profiles

#39 ·
I've updated the original post with the full press release.

I mentioned this earlier, but I think this may be one of the more notable part of the release, that I really don't see folks talking about much yet:
To achieve these prices while remaining financially sustainable, Tesla is shifting sales worldwide to online only. You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide. We are also making it much easier to try out and return a Tesla, so that a test drive prior to purchase isn't needed. You can now return a car within 7 days or 1,000 miles for a full refund. Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free. With the highest consumer satisfaction score of any car on the road, we are confident you will want to keep your Model 3.
Shifting all sales online, combined with other ongoing cost efficiencies, will enable us to lower all vehicle prices by about 6% on average, allowing us to achieve the $35,000 Model 3 price point earlier than we expected. Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers. The important thing for customers in the United States to understand is that, with online sales, anyone in any state can quickly and easily buy a Tesla.
At the same time, we will be increasing our investment in the Tesla service system, with the goal of same-day, if not same-hour service, and with most service done by us coming to you, rather than you coming to us. Moreover, we guarantee service availability anywhere in any country in which we operate.
I do wonder how they're going to achieve this since many stores are also SCs. Even with the majority of repairs being able to be done at the owner's location, they're still going to need local SCs for more involved work. So I wonder what the path forward for this is, exactly. In my area, there is a 2nd potential future retail or service location that has been in a several month limbo at this point. With this announcement, I do wonder if I'll ever see that location, or how they'll offer test drives, for that matter.

#41 ·
how they'll offer test drives, for that matter.
I just realized that they'll probably move to a "come to the customer" approach for test drives. So they'll have to retain folks specifically for this purpose. However, this is probably a better way to do test drives, as long as demand isn't too high.

#42 ·
The reality is that, EVERY new hot model car that comes out, the dealer usually marks up the vehicle by significant amount and doesn't discount them. Its only after a period of time when the supply catches up with the demand does the price drop.

I recall buying Mini Cooper, when it first came out and the dealers where charging a significant markup for them. I ordered the vehicle to be custom built and took about 6~7 months but did get it for MSRP window price without the markup. A year later, they were being discounted below the sticker. So you see, if you look at the cost behavior, its nothing new from that perspective (I realize that the particulars that caused the price differences are very different).
Great post. Remember when people paid 10k over sticker for a PT Cruiser? Talk about crazy. I got a 2005 Mustang GT when they came out and dealers were getting 8k over sticker. The hard part with this is TESLA is the one setting the price not dealerships we like to blame. It is a simple supply demand issue.

#50 ·
I wonder what will happen to cars that are returned. Will they start showing up on Tesla's used inventory for sale at some discount based on mileage?

Also curious if there are any details available on the battery packs in SR and SRP. Are there fewer cells in SR compared to SRP, or is the capacity/range limited by software?

#52 ·
Another question I would have is in states where they aren't allowed to 'sell' cars like Texas what will they do with the cars that are returned. Would they have to truck them back out of state to sell them again?

#56 ·
Can anyone explain the "4 USB ports" stuff for the standard interior? By this, I mean...

In my premium interior Model 3, there's 2 USB ports behind the phone docks and 2 in the back seat on the back side of the center console. As I remember it, the descriptions of PUP was that it ADDED the 2 rear USB ports and that the non-PUP interior would lack these rear USB ports.

So, did they just decide to make them standard instead? Or are there 2 new ports under the armrest?

(Does anyone outside of Tesla even know the answer to this? I can't find any visuals of the standard interior back seat on Tesla.com.)

#58 · (Edited)
Can anyone explain the "4 USB ports" stuff for the standard interior? By this, I mean...

In my premium interior Model 3, there's 2 USB ports behind the phone docks and 2 in the back seat on the back side of the center console. As I remember it, the descriptions of PUP was that it ADDED the 2 rear USB ports and that the non-PUP interior would lack these rear USB ports.

So, did they just decide to make them standard instead? Or are there 2 new ports under the armrest?

(Does anyone outside of Tesla even know the answer to this? I can't find any visuals of the standard interior back seat on Tesla.com.)
I'm assuming it's a single 4 port location. Close enough to the rear seating for someone to easily plug in, but not the same level of convenience.

I'm personally curious how many (if any) of those ports will be data.

#57 ·
I want to personally thank all the buyers of the early model 3s and performance models to help make the $35,000 base model 3 possible. We could not have done it without you.

Without your investment in the car and the company, Tesla would not have been able to get this far.

The same thanks goes to Model s and X buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.