Model 3 squeaky brakes

WhiteJagRip

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Anyone else experience brake squeaking from the front brakes?

I had this car since last August, but after the heavy rains early this year I noticed a squeak from the front brakes. I took it to the service center and like most others was told that it was caused by rust buildup on the brakes from not using them. The service technician said they cleaned it all up and upon returning my car the problem seemed resolved. I was also told to turn off regen braking and do a few hard stops if it happens again.

Unfortunately I had the same problem return the next day. I have tried the hard stops (accelerating to 90 then slamming the brakes on an empty road) and it goes away but then it returns in a few minutes.

today I looked at my front and noticed something looked off. Are the front brakes supposed to look like this?

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I, too, have the same problem (squealing brakes), with the usual fix (turn off regen braking for a bit), with a similar return time (day).

As for the photos of your front brakes, they seem fine to me; what part is looking strange to you?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you think the shiny brass looking thing is out of place it's not. That's the "pad is worn out and now this metal tine is rubbing on your rotor to make a HORRIBLE racket to convince you to get new brake pads" thingy. 'audible wear indicator'

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't see anything mechanically wrong with those brakes, but I do see rust spots (the "roughness" in the 2nd photo) on the rotor. You're going to have to really get the brakes warmed up for a bit to get the rotors to shed that rust.

That's easy to do, just take a drive where you do some quick accelerations and rapid slowdowns - use the brakes more. They'll heat up, and the rust will be scraped off.

WhiteJagRip

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Looks normal to me. Was there some aspect in particular that you thought looked wrong?

I'm having squeaky brake issue as well in wet weather. I posted about it here:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/squeaky-brakes.13314/

The main thing that concerned me was that the metal clip is only showing on the passenger side and not the driver side.

I guess I will try some more hard starts/stops, but I feel I shouldn't have to shred my tires to get rid of that squeak since I've been driving with the regen off for about 2 weeks now and the sound still doesn't go away.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Our squeaky brakes were due to a spring installation problem. If it is intermittent squeak then it is probably dirt. Otherwise I would have it checked.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife said that in the owners manual the brakes have to replaced in a year(?). Anyone do that?
I think she misread the manual. It recommends lubricating the brake calipers every year if you live in a place where the roads are salted, but it certainly doesn't recommend any kind of replacement. Brake pads typically last much longer in vehicles with regenerative braking than in those without regen.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else experience brake squeaking from the front brakes?

I had this car since last August, but after the heavy rains early this year I noticed a squeak from the front brakes. I took it to the service center and like most others was told that it was caused by rust buildup on the brakes from not using them. The service technician said they cleaned it all up and upon returning my car the problem seemed resolved. I was also told to turn off regen braking and do a few hard stops if it happens again.

Unfortunately I had the same problem return the next day. I have tried the hard stops (accelerating to 90 then slamming the brakes on an empty road) and it goes away but then it returns in a few minutes.

today I looked at my front and noticed something looked off. Are the front brakes supposed to look like this?
You should not "slam" brakes but keep driving and slightly press brake pedal and feel friction...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think she misread the manual. It recommends lubricating the brake calipers every year if you live in a place where the roads are salted, but it certainly doesn't recommend any kind of replacement. Brake pads typically last much longer in vehicles with regenerative braking than in those without regen.
I would imagine that the brakes would last a long time with the regeneration system. Glad she misread!