Model 3/S, Bolt EV, and Ioniq Efficiency Test - Model 3 Wins

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bjorn just posted a video where they tested the efficiency ratings on Model 3, Model S, Chevy Bolt EV, and Hyundai Ioniq. Very interesting since this is a test of the most efficient EV's on the market today. They had multiple Model 3 trims with different wheel sizes so those interested in knowing how wheel sizes effect efficiency, you should definitely take a look.

Spoiler: Model 3 LR with 18" wheels was the most efficient.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any info on the Hyundai Kona EV? Not available in NA but the efficiency seems impressive.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Final results:

View attachment 20829

The biggest surprise is that a Stealth Performance was more efficient than a RWD with 19" wheels.
With only 1% difference, that could be accounted for in a lot of different things from the tire rubber to color of the car.

(Disclaimer: I did not watch the video so I do not know what the HVAC settings were)

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about Stealth Performance w/18's more efficient than AWD(non-performance) w/18's? That seems inexplicable to me and throws these results into the "highly suspicious" category.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about Stealth Performance w/18's more efficient than AWD(non-performance) w/18's? That seems inexplicable to me and throws these results into the "highly suspicious" category.
That just supports the fact that they're the exact same car running different software.

EDIT - I should have also mentioned that the difference (255 Wh/mi vs 244 Wh/mi) is less than 1%. That's a negligible difference - this wasn't a very well "controlled" experiment, remember. They did a good job given the lack of a test track - I'm not knocking their methodology. But the point is that the results are basically equivalent.

Last edited:

DR61

Country
Country
With the same wheel/tire combo, when driven at the same speeds for economy, they should be identical. Difference in (less than 5%) this case was probably mostly due to the drivers.

Jim H

Country
Country
Is it possible that the Stealth Model 3 does actually have better motors, that are more efficient? It was reported that the performance cars do have the best motors, which explain this. I realize many feel the performance models is just a software change, but Musk did say the performance cars do get the best motors. If the motors are better, than maybe more efficient too?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it possible that the Stealth Model 3 does actually have better motors, that are more efficient? It was reported that the performance cars do have the best motors, which explain this. I realize many feel the performance models is just a software change, but Musk did say the performance cars do get the best motors. If the motors are better, than maybe more efficient too?
That could be. I wouldn't expect there to be much difference, and there certainly isn't much difference in this case. But I think there's also a simpler explanation:
EDIT - I should have also mentioned that the difference (255 Wh/mi vs 244 Wh/mi) is less than 1%. That's a negligible difference - this wasn't a very well "controlled" experiment, remember. They did a good job given the lack of a test track - I'm not knocking their methodology. But the point is that the results are basically equivalent.