Model 3 RWD to be produced first. AWD to follow in 6-9 months

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually do not recall him ever saying that.
He did, but that was before they decided to pull forward the production ramp-up by two years. I expect the current quest for initial manufacturing simplicity to be a higher priority than selling high-option vehicles (thus, why RWD will be offered first).

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He did, but that was before they decided to pull forward the production ramp-up by two years. I expect the current quest for initial manufacturing simplicity to be a higher priority than selling high-option vehicles (thus, why RWD will be offered first).
Hmmm interesting. I really never remember that being the case. I remember Elon saying they will start with employees, then existing customers, and then the US west to east before moving out of the US, but I don't ever recall him saying expensive cars first.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm interesting. I really never remember that being the case. I remember Elon saying they will start with employees, then existing customers, and then the US west to east before moving out of the US, but I don't ever recall him saying expensive cars first.
I think it was in a quarterly earnings call before the March 2016 unveil. You know, when they still thought they may end up with 100k reservations in the first year or so...

JBsC6

Country
Country
I believe tesla is playing an anti sell shell game...trying to move buyers or place holders of model 3 reservations into deliverable model S models as either new or preowned inventory exists and it's profitable,

The anti sell campaign will last At least for the next two months...or until the actual option list is announced in public or until a competitor is produced. Teslas stores not being a separate entity will have a hard time adding on a,rite adjustment fees like so many scum bag dealers would do in this high demand situation. (At least in the first few months)
This is a normal car sales tactics over the years and has offended many new car buyers from ever shopping that brand in the future.

For me? I was fine waiting and actually enjoyed the anticipation for the past year. I'm now starting to get a little annoyed as I would never have imagined delivering cars in July but not announcing performance or options in June...13 months was my own misinterpretation ...two more months is not a big deal but other manufacturers are racing to market with their own model 3 competitors.

When that happens people won't forget the attitude of tesla during the anti sell campaign,

I know it's irrational but it's beginning to irritate me. I don't need a tesla model 3 as my cars are excellent and I was just adding the tesla model 3 for something that I thought looked like a little four door Aston Martin for around 50 grand or so...the fact that the tesla was electric was just a bonus feature.

Doesn't cost me anything to wait but if a major auto manufacturer comes out with something similiarly priced and something I like? I'll probably flip.

Business ethics do hold water in this world.

No automotive reviews for model 3 s were announced recently as well. That's kind of messed up.

This anti sell campaign is going a bit too far.

Hopefully it's all bluster and automotive journalist will manage to get behind the wheel to test and review these vehicles,

Sales of the model S and the model X must be taking a nose dive for all of this too be occurring.

I don't believe Musk would have anticipated the model S and X nosedive to this degree...

It could be stinging.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe tesla is playing an anti sell shell game...trying to move buyers or place holders of model 3 reservations into deliverable model S models as either new or preowned inventory exists and it's profitable,

The anti sell campaign will last At least for the next two months...or until the actual option list is announced in public or until a competitor is produced. Teslas stores not being a separate entity will have a hard time adding on a,rite adjustment fees like so many scum bag dealers would do in this high demand situation. (At least in the first few months)
This is a normal car sales tactics over the years and has offended many new car buyers from ever shopping that brand in the future.

For me? I was fine waiting and actually enjoyed the anticipation for the past year. I'm now starting to get a little annoyed as I would never have imagined delivering cars in July but not announcing performance or options in June...13 months was my own misinterpretation ...two more months is not a big deal but other manufacturers are racing to market with their own model 3 competitors.

When that happens people won't forget the attitude of tesla during the anti sell campaign,

I know it's irrational but it's beginning to irritate me. I don't need a tesla model 3 as my cars are excellent and I was just adding the tesla model 3 for something that I thought looked like a little four door Aston Martin for around 50 grand or so...the fact that the tesla was electric was just a bonus feature.

Doesn't cost me anything to wait but if a major auto manufacturer comes out with something similiarly priced and something I like? I'll probably flip.

Business ethics do hold water in this world.

No automotive reviews for model 3 s were announced recently as well. That's kind of messed up.

This anti sell campaign is going a bit too far.

Hopefully it's all bluster and automotive journalist will manage to get behind the wheel to test and review these vehicles,

Sales of the model S and the model X must be taking a nose dive for all of this too be occurring.

I don't believe Musk would have anticipated the model S and X nosedive to this degree...

It could be stinging.
If you're going to flip on ethics, I don't know... that's part of what I love about Telsa. Sure the cars are sexy, fast, electric, and clean; but their mission as a company is second to none. The fact that the big 3 lobby to block them and their sales model tells you a lot. In addition, their foresight to build out the supercharger network is incredible.

I don't see why it's such a big deal that we don't know options yet or that they're anti-selling something that has backorders that will last for 18 months.

Frankly, we don't need to know the options until we need to action on them which is ultimately the day we place an order.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it was in a quarterly earnings call before the March 2016 unveil. You know, when they still thought they may end up with 100k reservations in the first year or so...
Thanks for the pointer, @MelindaV . I found the quote.

Q4 2015 Earnings Call Transcript
"And our default plan as we've done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car. Because obviously, we've got to pay back the investment of all the tooling and everything, so that sort of makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first."

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the pointer, @MelindaV . I found the quote.
Q4 2015 Earnings Call Transcript
"And our default plan as we've done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car. Because obviously, we've got to pay back the investment of all the tooling and everything, so that sort of makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first."
Now that makes sense, I started following Tesla closely shortly after that and just before the unveiling of the 3.

Mark C

Country
Country

I don't see this as a bad attitude, I see it as a little fish {not based on stock valuation} swimming in an ocean with many big fish, working very hard to be the best, while fighting off all the naysayers AND those who are actively trying to squash them in much the same as Tucker.

I didn't stand in line to reserve, I placed my reservation on 4/5/16 knowing the wait would be just short of misery. We are down to ~ 5 weeks from knowing all we need to know, and I am one of many who desperately want to know why "You won't care."

Hang in there, we can do this!

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Well, the AWD has almost everything going for it: more range, more power, but it cost more.

I don't think reliability is affected much by having two motors. These things don't seems to fail, especially when compared to ICE.
Thing is though, you don't add more things to increase reliability, you do it to enable redundancy. Adding an extra motor makes it less reliable as there is now twice the possibility of one failing

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It all comes down to execution. Making "simpler" cars first increases the probability that it can be done right, and equally as important, on time.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We knew AWD comes 6-9 months after launch.
Did anyone know that a RWD outside US comes after or before that?
I believe it remains unclear when cars will start shipping outside of the US at this point. My best guess is that AWD cars exist in the US before someone sees the first non-US car delivered.