Model 3 RWD to be produced first. AWD to follow in 6-9 months

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Ip Man

Country
Country
The way I see it - he's trying to keep the car affordable.
20kw increase from base mdl is only 2.5k cost increase. I'd guess he'll ask for 100% profit for larger battery pack-that's only 5Gs.
If he goes 200% that's only 7.5k or the tax rebates. 42.5k like he guessed the average mdl 3 would cost.
Not don't get jittery Luke- only 20% of the 115k preorders wanted a base mdl 3.
dual motors was a bit hit as was the largest battery pack.
The way I see it-you'll get a hell of a car if you spend 57500 on the car.
the rebate 7500 will still be valid for 6 months after the 200k car is sold/delivered.
I believe I'll be spending 57500 on the car and hopefully that will be everything I want in it.
If a HUD is extra-I'll get it. If not I'll get an aftermarket one. Today there is no reason to spend
50k on a car and no HUD. That's just lame. I want directions on my window/I want my speed on the window.
For 500.00 more it's well worth it in my opinion. This would be a great gift for those who waited in line.

Tesla doesn't usually add anything to the Design Studio until it is available to build. So the AWD option may not even appear in the initial Design Studio. This may force those people who are high up in the reservation list but must have an AWD version to defer their order when invited to configure. But then how would those people know how long to defer etc.

Bruce D

Country
Country
My son and I waited 4 hours in line in Colorado to eventually configure an AWD, latest technology, larger battery 3 and be able to take advantage of both the federal and state rebates in doing so. I couldn't be more disappointed. I may have to wait until the federal rebate runs out to get an AWD? Are you kidding me? The people who waited in line were the most avid fans... and we just got hosed. I feel betrayed.

I may just buy a CPO MS.

Bruce D

Country
Country
He also said more cowbells earlier only to say, today, the 3 is just a smaller s with no new technology, and AWD and performance models to come next year.

I felt special standing in line and hoped he would feel the same way toward me. I'll wait and see before doing anything hasty. Disappointed, regardless.

RatThings

Country
Country
There's another way to look at this. The model 3 was described as a scaled down (and correspondingly less expensive) Tesla electric car for the masses. Is it being made for people who can spend $60K or more on a car? Or for those of us who must keep total costs under that? If the latter, he's making model 3's for their intended market first.

I'm a case in point. I'm planning to spend $42,500 (if my 3 extras stay the same price as they are now for the S and X) plus there will be tax, fees and the cost of installing a charger. And I'm counting on getting the full rebate (it pays for my "extras"). I ordered an hour before the online site was supposed to go live on 3/31, live in WI, am not a current owner and don't work for Tesla.

According to both of the estimators I tried before this news, I was going to qualify for the full rebate. Now I'm virtually assured of the full rebate. BUT, if a significant number of people cancel or delay their car I'll have less time to save, I was counting on April or May of next year. I need to end up with a loan of only about $20K.

FYI - my extras are $5K Enhanced Autopilot (how can you not), the $1.5K Glass Roof (again, have to), and $1K Blue paint or any color besides red. I don't like black, white or silver cars - boring, and red carries too much baggage. I'd love a royal green of the same hue as the Tesla royal blue but I'll settle for the royal blue. I bought my current car new November 2002 and took silver even though I didn't like it. I plan to drive this Tesla longer than this silver car so that's much less than $100 a year to get a car with a color I like. That's my rationale anyway. :)

Comments? Does anyone else see this as building to the concept?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
There's another way to look at this. The model 3 was described as a scaled down (and correspondingly less expensive) Tesla electric car for the masses. Is it being made for people who can spend $60K or more on a car? Or for those of us who must keep total costs under that? If the latter, he's making model 3's for their intended market first.(...)
That's my rationale anyway. :)
Comments? Does anyone else see this as building to the concept?
Definitely with you on the fact Model ≡ is designed for a much larger cross-section of the population. If people have >$60k to spend on a car, most certainly could afford a Model S.... and Elon certainly wanted to remind us all of that yesterday... Also, if in the US, they probably can afford to be somewhat less concerned about the fed. tax credit...
I, like you, am on a 'budget' yet, without planning a much more extravagant choice of options (yours are on my short list too...;)), I do want AWD, even on the smallest battery for the regen, slightly longer range & add-on convenience in all-Weather road conditions. But I live in Europe, reserved last October, so waiting for lot longer anyways... ;)

There are reportedly a significant share of reservation holders who want a high end Model ≡ and who don't necessarily care for a larger car. Are there some who are very disappointed? It certainly seems so...
Yet, what are we talking about here, 6-9 months longer wait...? This car is going to be well worth it!!
Come on, people, we'll be fine...

(Note: every time I paste this, I think I can never thank @garsh enough! :D)

Country
Country
Pre-ordered in store before unveil. Because i'm based in the Netherlands i suppose it will take 6 to 9 months before we can order anyway. I want a full spec M3 if i can afford it, but i'm not going to wait any extra for AWD, etc.

Regarding the HUD and AWD. I would really like to have both, but if it aint there, than so be it.
The car will going to be doing the driving anyway or i'll put it on advanced cruise control if i'm not steering.

I tend to not look at speed limits anyway when there's too much traffic, because i than go with the flow. I just use speed camera alerts when it's too busy on the road.

When i'm driving in the middle in the night or when there's not much traffic, i tend to just use cruise control anyway. So i'm not continuously looking at the dash board. And regarding navigation, audio also works fine if autopilot is not doing the work.

Still saving for my Model 3 and the money saved + the date i can start ordering will determine what i order and if that takes too long it might be even an S as i'll keep saving money until i have a Tesla :)

RatThings

Country
Country
Definitely with you on the fact Model ≡ is designed for a much larger cross-section of the population. If people have >$60k to spend on a car, most certainly could afford a Model S.... and Elon certainly wanted to remind us all of that yesterday... Also, if in the US, they probably can afford to be somewhat less concerned about the fed. tax credit...
I, like you, am on a 'budget' yet, without planning a much more extravagant choice of options (yours are on my short list too...;)), I do want AWD, even on the smallest battery for the regen, slightly longer range & add-on convenience in all-Weather road conditions. But I live in Europe, reserved last October, so waiting for lot longer anyways... ;)

There are reportedly a significant share of reservation holders who want a high end Model ≡ and who don't necessarily care for a larger car. Are there some who are very disappointed? It certainly seems so...
Yet, what are we talking about here, 6-9 months longer wait...? This car is going to be well worth it!!
Come on, people, we'll be fine...

(Note: every time I paste this, I think I can never thank @garsh enough! :D)

I sort of forgot about the size difference. I don't like a big car either. And if your only regular use of the back seat is for your dogs, like me, it's a waste. I get the logic of starting with a simpler version though, especially with a car that seems to be going from concept to production quickly. If you can eliminate (at least for start up) some components and the potential problems they might have, why not minimize risk?

In some ways that seems un-Elon like. But he's not driven exclusively by money like some CEOs so it makes sense in that way that he wouldn't care about getting the most expensive cars made first.

Country
Country
We are not hosed. At worst, we are no better off than where we started. After all, Tesla has shareholder/analyst expectations to contend with, and a huge backlog of sorts, and this plan for ramping up production seems responsible to me. BUT...I feel your pain. I won't go for a single motor job, for all the reasons mentioned by others.

Bobby Garrity

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll still wait for the dual motors option. The only way I would get RWD is if it means getting a much larger federal tax credit. But given when and where I made my reservation, I expect the $7500 will be gone, and that it could at most be the difference between the $3750 and the $1875. I'd probably still get the dual motors, even if it effectively costs me an additional $1875.

GDinATL

Country
Country
My son and I waited 4 hours in line in Colorado to eventually configure an AWD, latest technology, larger battery 3 and be able to take advantage of both the federal and state rebates in doing so. I couldn't be more disappointed. I may have to wait until the federal rebate runs out to get an AWD? Are you kidding me? The people who waited in line were the most avid fans... and we just got hosed. I feel betrayed.

I may just buy a CPO MS.
Your choice Bruce....But I can see Elon wanting to get this out in time. Do a 500 piece puzzle first and when you are better at it work on a 1000 piecer....I'm not happy either but I respect his decision. It will still be a great car.

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Ok. So what are the thoughts that maybe he will release the AWD in limited quantities to those who lined up and want that feature?

Long shot but..... a lot of disappointed people that want AWD and lined up.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ok. So what are the thoughts that maybe he will release the AWD in limited quantities to those who lined up and want that feature? (...)
Based on he said now, this is a small probability within first 6 months, short of him effectively finding his magic wand... and it be really good... :D
I know this does not affect us Europeans, and I understand waiting takes effort, yet 6 months are over so quickly and these folks will have the assurance to also get a car with less of those painful child sicknesses, no? :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok. So what are the thoughts that maybe he will release the AWD in limited quantities to those who lined up and want that feature?

my take on his magic wand comment was saying to deal with waiting or don't order the dual motor option.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is Elon being cautious and saying what he believes to be true. I know some will say Autopilot 2 is behind in his predictions but that's a different thing altogether since it's software and much tricker to get right.

I'm sure they will do AWD as soon as they feel the production ramp is moving well and they think they can introduce it into the mix without too much disruption. They've been on time so far on this program so let's give them a bit of breathing room and see what happens when we get results from the initial builds. They may end up introducing it sooner than stated.

Robert Pickel

Country
Country
This announcement is probably the biggest "game changer" Tesla has made since the Reveal. That said, they are probably gauging the responses, potential loss of customers, market impact, etc. The loss of possibility of any tax rebate, along with the delay for the AWD will be a major deciding factor for a large number of reservation holders, I'm sure. Elon can always issue another "clarification" statement to lessen any serious impact (or maybe rethink this decision). Like with the (new?) fascia, Tesla is listening to all this "chatter," and will respond appropriately.

At this point, they have no way of knowing how many potential customers want a RW or a AWD vehicle. That's not determined until the ordering process, unless they intend to send out some sort of pre-production survey to all reservation holders very early on.

"Stay tuned," like Michael Russo said.