Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
141 - 160 of 185 Posts
I suppose the extra drag from the rack will be significant. That the noise isn't high is a good sign, but still, drag is hugely important for a BEV.
I doubt it will be "significant" given Tesla knows something about cheating the wind and electric cars. (Driving style remains far more important.) Also, it's a good sign the wind noise is reported to be low; non-aero shapes make more noise in the wind. Adding things like cargo boxes and mountain bikes to the rack will be "significant".

I doubt it will be "significant" given Tesla knows something about cheating the wind and electric cars. (Driving style remains far more important.) Also, it's a good sign the wind noise is reported to be low; non-aero shapes make more noise in the wind. Adding things like cargo boxes and mountain bikes to the rack will be "significant".
Depends what you call significant. I think that something like 5% is significant. For an ordinary roof rack the difference can be 10-15% extra drag.

EDIT: Seems that it's just 2% see here. I was wrong, that's not significant. Pleasant surprise.

Depends what you call significant. I think that something like 5% is significant. For an ordinary roof rack the difference can be 10-15% extra drag.
Agreed -- definitions matter. However, we don't have the percentage yet. To paraphrase Elon Musk, big batteries rock! (So, I'm not concerned.)

Anyone got certified numbers?

How to convert a long range model 3 into a mid range... elementary my dear Watson (my dogs name). With the bike and the surfboard 400 wh/m at 65 mph. The bike on the back makes no noise, and the car will still reach the supercharger... I’m supercharging right now...but they definitely cause a hit on range. The rack alone does not.

Attachments

Thanks for the info and photos, John! Great to hear that wind noise isn't an issue with just the rack itself on the car; I'd like to be able to leave the rack installed on the car.

Would you mind measuring the distance between the roof of your car and the top of the cross bar? This would be for whichever bar is higher off the ground. I'm not sure if one is higher than the other. If there is a difference, please also indicate which one is higher. I'm shopping for a cargo box, and this would help for garage clearance, etc. Thanks!
Just got back in town so able to measure....The front bar is right at right at 2 3/4 " and the back one is one inch shorter from the glass at 1 3/4 inches. Both were measured at the center from the glass to the bottom of the rack.

Just got back in town so able to measure....The front bar is right at right at 2 3/4 " and the back one is one inch shorter from the glass at 1 3/4 inches. Both were measured at the center from the glass to the bottom of the rack.
Thanks for taking the time to measure and post this info, John. Much appreciated! I think I've got my cargo box selection figured out now. I just need the Tesla rack before I buy the box! :D

I happened to check the Tesla product page at 6:41 PM (PT) tonight -- cuz that's what I've been doing like 40 times a day for a month... and got lucky. Placed my order, and then immediately re-checked the product page: Sold Out already! I wonder how many they had in stock (not enough). Sure wish Tesla would let people back-order things that are expected to come back into stock.

It's available again RIGHT NOW!!!
You, sir, ROCK. I checked it about a half hour ago... NOTHING. Was getting caught up on this topic and saw your post, popped over to that tab on the browser since it's been open for many weeks, and sure enough, it was available!! My fingers could hardly move fast enough, but mine is ordered. AWESOME!

You, sir, ROCK. I checked it about a half hour ago... NOTHING. Was getting caught up on this topic and saw your post, popped over to that tab on the browser since it's been open for many weeks, and sure enough, it was available!! My fingers could hardly move fast enough, but mine is ordered. AWESOME!
Great! And just in time... It's now sold out again.

Not sure what's going on with it popping in and out of stock tonight. For anyone still looking to order, I've got one word for you: Refresh!

You have to wonder what the heck is going on with their inventory control... is there one guy building these in his spare time or something? Well, I got the order confirmation email from them so I wasn't imagining things. Can't wait to try this out with our tandem bike.

I second the "refresh" thing. I also had set up web page monitoring via VisualPing and right after I placed the order I got an email from them that the roof rack page had changed to it being available. I'm sure that normally it gives you useful notifications but in this case, with the product only being available for a few minutes at a time, the once-an-hour monitoring just won't cut it.

You have to wonder what the heck is going on with their inventory control... is there one guy building these in his spare time or something? Well, I got the order confirmation email from them so I wasn't imagining things. Can't wait to try this out with our tandem bike.

I second the "refresh" thing. I also had set up web page monitoring via VisualPing and right after I placed the order I got an email from them that the roof rack page had changed to it being available. I'm sure that normally it gives you useful notifications but in this case, with the product only being available for a few minutes at a time, the once-an-hour monitoring just won't cut it.
I felt the same way, Tom -- given the stocking weirdness. Once I was actually able to place the order, I wasn't entirely confident that it truly went through or that the product didn't sell out again from under me. Receiving the order confirmation helped, but I'm looking forward to getting the shipping confirmation! :cool:

141 - 160 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.