Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Model 3 Roof Rack - Currently IN STOCK!

45K views 184 replies 56 participants last post by  B.Silva 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod edit for Tesla shop page: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-roof-rack.html ]

Trevor mentioned that the latches for Model 3 roof racks are standard, yet I did not see any photos of that during the reveal. I need a roof rack for storing boats on the top of the car. A picture of the latches on the roof would really give me confidence of Trevor's statement made at about 17 minutes and 30 seconds in. Also, how far apart would the rails end up being from one another? Lastly, I heard that the Whispar bars were discontinued for the Model S, so is there going to be a different supplier taking over?

#3 ·
Disappointing and conflicting information from what Trevor got at the reveal. I just got off the phone with a Tesla Sales rep. and they have not heard anything about any roof rack or tow hitch option for the Model 3 to be installed at a service center. They went on to say that both could reduce resale value and/or void warranties on the Model 3. They said only the Model X was meant for towing, but did not give any reasons why. Maybe a tow option will still come to light if Elon mentioned it in a tweet, but I'm not holding my breath that Tesla is going to have a good roof rack option. That is very sad to me if it is true. On this today it seems that Tesla just kicking the can down the road in the same easy assembly or vanity that this is a luxury sedan and should not have stuff strapped to the top of this gorgeous glass roof. Forgive me, but I don't want to have to trust an aftermarket suction cup roof rack. Are we going to void our door/door latch mechanisms if we have to use the roof rack style that goes between the roof and a closed door?
I really hope that they arm sales with all the information about the Model 3 or tell us at the Semi reveal the full list of features available and not available on the Model 3. This slow teasing of things through the twitter-sphere is not a good way to plan all the use cases for the vehicle a customer may need, especially if one tweet is going to make it or break it for you.

Attachments

#4 ·
Disappointing and conflicting information from what Trevor got at the reveal. I just got off the phone with a Tesla Sales rep. and they have not heard anything about any roof rack or tow hitch option for the Model 3 to be installed at a service center. They went on to say that both could reduce resale value and/or void warranties on the Model 3. They said only the Model X was meant for towing, but did not give any reasons why. Maybe a tow option will still come to light if Elon mentioned it in a tweet, but I'm not holding my breath that Tesla is going to have a good roof rack option. That is very sad to me if it is true. On this today it seems that Tesla just kicking the can down the road in the same easy assembly or vanity that this is a luxury sedan and should not have stuff strapped to the top of this gorgeous glass roof. Forgive me, but I don't want to have to trust an aftermarket suction cup roof rack. Are we going to void our door/door latch mechanisms if we have to use the roof rack style that goes between the roof and a closed door?
I really hope that they arm sales with all the information about the Model 3 or tell us at the Semi reveal the full list of features available and not available on the Model 3. This slow teasing of things through the twitter-sphere is not a good way to plan all the use cases for the vehicle a customer may need, especially if one tweet is going to make it or break it for you.
Based on what I've seen, there is no standard roof rack connection, just like there isn't on the MS. I suspect it will be included whenever the pano roof option becomes available and it will be a part of that package, just like it is for the MS. I assume having the pano roof requires some additional strength and support and whatever those beefed up members are, they just add connection points to them. Believe me, I want them too, but I don't think its likely on the first production run vehicles. On the tow bar, it looks like there could be a receiver there, but no one has been willing to remove the cover yet. Fingers crossed, but could also be an option down the road. I wouldn't trust the sales people. Not that they're not well meaning, they just aren't provided any more information than the general public and generally don't find out until we find out.

#5 · (Edited)
Please try and remember that Model S doesn't even have a roof rack as standard. You have to order the same with the sunroof to get that ability, the standard all glass roof, like Model 3, doesn't support a roof rack. Since Model 3 CURRENTLY only being offered to employees with LIMITED options we'll will have to wait and see if they offer a sunroof where they might emulate the Model S and have the integrated attach points.

The tow hitch isn't mentioned at all but I have photographic evidence that suggests there's an access panel under the rear of the car that might hide the tow hitch receptable or at least offer the ability to add once later on like older Model X's

Please folks, I know we all want details about the car and so far we have 2 people on the forum here who have taken delivery but patience is key here along with trying to keep expectations in check until Tesla has a handle on production and can introduce more options as they go. Model S wasn't fully baked as we know it now when it first came out, they added tons of options over the years and Model 3 won't be any different.

Just try and keep your wishes in check while this thing matures.

#6 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys. I hope that you are right and that they do come out with the roof latches, and tow hitch. I guess I thought using your roof would be a standard option, but I guess it's a wait and see at this point until they get further into the ramp up.

#10 ·
I'm almost 100% certain I found the roof rack attachment points on the Model 3. They're hidden under the rubber trim seal around the glass roof. There are little arrows printed on the underside of the glass. There's a small slit in the rubber seal. Lift it up and there are metal tabs to which a roof rack can grab onto

Leg Human body Window Hood Bumper
Netbook Hood Automotive design Gadget Automotive exterior

#13 ·
I'm almost 100% certain I found the roof rack attachment points on the Model 3. They're hidden under the rubber trim seal around the glass roof. There are little arrows printed on the underside of the glass. There's a small slit in the rubber seal. Lift it up and there are metal tabs to which a roof rack can grab onto

View attachment 3706 View attachment 3707
@TrevP,

Let's hope you're right! I'll be optimistic!!! Did you find any "arrows" and "lifty rubber trim pieces" 'hiding' a tow hitch receptacle or attachment point???:rolleyes: THAT seems to be the question of the day/hour! Lol (kidding of course)!:)

@MelindaV,
You took the "Wind" out of my prankster joke while I was typing it! Lol (but I did already see Elon's tweet re: tow capability) let's HOPE that changes in future releases ie: Maybe with AWD?.

Ski

#11 ·
@TrevP I would love similar definite info about the possibility for a tow hitch too. Even though it will be more than a year for my Model 3, it is important for me.
Roughly once a month I use my hitch to pull a cart to transport stuff. And 5 times a year to transport bikes on a hitch-rack. Almost all mid-sized Dutch cars have a tow hitch, because most people use their car in a comparative way. It would be a real disappointment and make Model 3 less attractive if we would need to hire an ICE-car for those trips.

Reactions: mrcndc
#12 ·
@TrevP I would love similar definite info about the possibility for a tow hitch too. Even though it will be more than a year for my Model 3, it is important for me.
Roughly once a month I use my hitch to pull a cart to transport stuff. And 5 times a year to transport bikes on a hitch-rack. Almost all mid-sized Dutch cars have a tow hitch, because most people use their car in a comparative way. It would be a real disappointment and make Model 3 less attractive if we would need to hire an ICE-car for those trips.
Elon said on Twitter yesterday no to the tow hitch in response to someone.

#20 ·
and this pix from the Emergency Response guide shows high strength steel inserts at the same locations on the frame above the door openings as where the test car shows the rack mounted.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UkUuMuMOlpC7XKaffIH5zxrxar9QsJjJbKAbqpiZHuXCstFQgZU4jpw8HXrJAAMJaEyIF6wIAz3YakQCYglz0mli4G2-Wjgf3zbTKvrIJgPiUha8NZMcNu0rfgT5Ujp0DM_y7WgmX9TC5dAmb6WezP5sdR9kXUFJpqItyeMM0NIfLSTKtQmyq_7Wwgzwg6SJ3-ArUXprps0H09o69lmeAnQe86TJu-q3lZD6YswtgGjgWH07VjwuY3RA8C0rqU12S__IBJ-nhJoibAqawE_xwSFpiqMuXrn7t4A4LIxlVAQTq6KNgOljWJcOQlEw1KugqzYq2IHfN3Ax7HxCoKpV3sCrzxTTpfJhft5JsWTEVRoi-RDgvYKLVEI2Sl9xTU1yzNwtIYg1jLmfg8umKnQ6twN6dYssp5xEkKKFT34pAEAGxJU5rkrEXvZUnUBRY5RyWRTpEBj48NFk6XD8jtYLioMOkgBBwVaXhz_wbCKJRwlmput4USH7Wdm8g12L0Fc2kHnqF2QGbSU70HN3Xzw_J9XZboTQRvLtwJTOxTgtLeOnV24FamP4xmQ7vkrXGzv24hUn79oM7KWs-RBbeTxpUlZxHsiuV-SiqO****xQ0TOCfBBjdI6wjxhj8Qe1IrXvazoW5G****yfDKe8-qrLwpS0xeBpxvLqi8Jn=w762-h524-no

#21 ·
and this pix from the Emergency Response guide shows high strength steel inserts at the same locations on the frame above the door openings as where the test car shows the rack mounted.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UkUuMuMOlpC7XKaffIH5zxrxar9QsJjJbKAbqpiZHuXCstFQgZU4jpw8HXrJAAMJaEyIF6wIAz3YakQCYglz0mli4G2-Wjgf3zbTKvrIJgPiUha8NZMcNu0rfgT5Ujp0DM_y7WgmX9TC5dAmb6WezP5sdR9kXUFJpqItyeMM0NIfLSTKtQmyq_7Wwgzwg6SJ3-ArUXprps0H09o69lmeAnQe86TJu-q3lZD6YswtgGjgWH07VjwuY3RA8C0rqU12S__IBJ-nhJoibAqawE_xwSFpiqMuXrn7t4A4LIxlVAQTq6KNgOljWJcOQlEw1KugqzYq2IHfN3Ax7HxCoKpV3sCrzxTTpfJhft5JsWTEVRoi-RDgvYKLVEI2Sl9xTU1yzNwtIYg1jLmfg8umKnQ6twN6dYssp5xEkKKFT34pAEAGxJU5rkrEXvZUnUBRY5RyWRTpEBj48NFk6XD8jtYLioMOkgBBwVaXhz_wbCKJRwlmput4USH7Wdm8g12L0Fc2kHnqF2QGbSU70HN3Xzw_J9XZboTQRvLtwJTOxTgtLeOnV24FamP4xmQ7vkrXGzv24hUn79oM7KWs-RBbeTxpUlZxHsiuV-SiqO****xQ0TOCfBBjdI6wjxhj8Qe1IrXvazoW5G****yfDKe8-qrLwpS0xeBpxvLqi8Jn=w762-h524-no
Good catch on the mounting tabs!

#23 ·
I really don't understand the attention for a roof rack, which is a disaster for air-drag and thus range. Compared to disregard for a towing hitch, where a bike rack or a cart have only a minor effect on range and are much more useful. Bit mad about it. :mad:

#24 ·
I still hold out a bit of hope for an aftermarket hitch, as is available for the Model S.

I've heard the roof rack mount points are almost a side effect of the Tesla assembly process. Someone told me (at least on the S) that this is where the robots attach when they assemble the interior.

#30 ·
Okay, maybe drag is less good for a hitch-bike-rack then I thought.
My main point is and has always been the usefulness of a towing hitch to transport things. On a rack and in a towed cart.
For me that will be mainly over shorter distances, within range.
I find a roofrack a totally useless solution in this regard.

Reactions: mig
#37 ·
As an american it's safe to assume assume that the majority of my friends will own big trucks, so borrowing one occasionally shouldn't be a problem. Especially if I offer to let them take the model 3 in trade.

That how I do these types of runs now.

#38 ·
As an american it's safe to assume assume that the majority of my friends will own big trucks, so borrowing one occasionally shouldn't be a problem. Especially if I offer to let them take the model 3 in trade.

That how I do these types of runs now.
Yeah, having friends or family with a truck is nice too. Also, for Ikea specifically, I've found that many flatpack items can fit in a standard sedan, through the trunk with the seats down. Now, 4x8 sheet goods, not so much (but I'm not going to use a roof rack for those either).

#39 ·
How would you ever move a mattress and box springs without a roof rack?

Always amazed at the people going down the road in a small car with a mattress on top, one rope across the middle to hold it in place, and the mattress itself folded in half from the breeze. Surely they have a friend with a pickup truck....

#40 ·
How would you ever move a mattress and box springs without a roof rack?

Always amazed at the people going down the road in a small car with a mattress on top, one rope across the middle to hold it in place, and the mattress itself folded in half from the breeze. Surely they have a friend with a pickup truck....
With a moving truck... ;)

Reactions: Kizzy
#43 ·
The problem with air-drag not only has to do with the rack itself, but what you put on top of the rack (bikes, luggage/ski box, ski's, surfboard). Even 15 or 25 % more drag is really significant.

Another aspect is that you can't put the same things on top of a roof rack, that you can put on a cart or hitch bike rack. Even the bikes we use (25 kg city bikes with electric support) are impossible to put on top of a car.
Tow hitch and roof rack are not mutually exclusive features, so no need to argue for one over the other. Personally , I'd need both the possibility to attach a trailer for transporting heavier/voluminous objects and a roof rack for my kayaks (a trailer could also work for those, but is less practical).

As to the roof rack, I am a bit confused (but hopeful) after reading the M3 owner's manual provided by Dogwhistle in another thread. On page 133 it is stated that "Model 3 is equipped with a glass roof that supports the use of Tesla-approved roof racks". Since they, throughout the rest of the manual clearly state when a feature is optional (at extra cost), this seems to imply that the glass roof in question is standard. I know that the pano roof/all glass roof is part of the PUP - so what are they referring to here? The far-extending front and rear windows? Or is it just me making unjustified inferences from the text, biased by my desire for them to be true?

#44 ·
I'm voting for unjustified inferences. I believe that the roof rack support points are in front and behind where the metal roof would be on the non-PUP models (although it can be hard to get a sense for where they are exactly just by looking at pictures). I'm sure one of the owners can verify.

Reactions: MelindaV and Dr. J
#45 ·
Runt8, I'm sorry to say that I lean towards that conclusion too. In any case, the magnitude of ambiguity of the information that is available on these matters is astonishing, even when it comes from Elon himself... It almost seems like a plan, to keep the interest up (it sure works on me...)

#47 ·
It seems like between the tabs on the frame and Elon's tweet response, roof racks will happen. This makes me so happy! It would be really great to see a customer receiving a car now doing the service work to get the rack working. It is ski season after all.

On the hitch side, I just don't see enough high strength steel in the back of the car for the current Model 3 to support a tow hitch. It looks like all aluminum. I don't know if Elon's tweet was a no because the only Model 3 available is the RWD. Given that the motor is already in the back, I don't think more metal is needed back there. It still boggles my mind if Tesla really made the decision for the customer and didn't want anyone towing with the Model 3. If Model 3 parts are in the Tesla Semi, it can clearly be tow stuff. The only current models that tow are AWD, so that is the only version of the Model 3 I think you could possibly put your last hope in. Otherwise, it's probably wait a couple more years for the Model Y.

#56 ·
this isn't a subaru
Racks and tow hitch on:

My Civic
My Leaf
My 2002 Rav4EV
My Prius

Do we really need a specialty car in order to make it practical? It's OK to want things like a hatch and rack/hitch, isn't it? Even on a "sedan?" This idea that impracticality is OK just because of the style of car makes me lose faith in humanity.

#57 ·
The problem with air-drag not only has to do with the rack itself, but what you put on top of the rack (bikes, luggage/ski box, ski's, surfboard). Even 15 or 25 % more drag is really significant.
Sure, there are drag "problems." But we don't even talk about drag with a pickup truck, do we?

I currently drive a Prius with roof racks (when needed). And when I have a bike and a cargo box up there, it cuts my range down to about 40 mpg. Horrible! I'm wasting my Prius goodness! Of course with my roof full of goods, my car still gets far better fuel mileage than an empty SUV or truck. And I only use the racks about four weeks out of the year. So... let's not disparage racks. We don't always need to go the full range of the car, so extra drag really doesn't matter - and is way better than also owning a truck or having to find one to borrow.

To put this another way - I have owned five EVs now. And if I were to cut the range of a Model 3 by 25%, it would still have 2-3x the range that I have ever had in an EV. So... I'm OK with that.

#58 ·
In this new solar age that we are all helping to introduce (intentionally or not), we all must be open to questioning our customary assumptions. Porsche's become Subaru's (at times), family cars become capable of beating petrol sports cars on a track, and we all think more of what we can wring out every bit of energy. Maybe we can even have more fun doing it. I'm not buying an Mo3 primarily because it could keep up with an M3 on the track, but what a great motivator for even more people to want an EV. If it can also carry my bike, our dog and my bike, wow! A more energy burning additional family crossover becomes less important. Having fewer vehicles in the household must be generally a good thing when it's possible? Let's flex a bit here.

#59 ·
So it is still a wait and see about the roof rack details/timeline. Feel bad for those who have the Model 3 and can't put anything on the roof today. I don't think we'll get the car till the end of the year.

The Tesla manual talks about mounted accessory purchased from Tesla. I guess you would buy this accessory that allows you to utilize the high strength steel tabs just outside the glass roof and then you attach your approved aftermarket roof rack onto that?
I contacted Tesla to see if they could give any details about timeline on the roof rack mounts, but I got the expected vague response.
"Hello,

Thanks for contacting Tesla. Additional vehicle accessories for Model 3 remain in development and are a product we are looking forward to debuting soon. However, at the moment we don't have a firm ETA we can share, and we cannot speculate on unreleased product.

We appreciate your patience and welcome any additional questions that may arise. As always, thanks for your continued support.

Let us know if you have any other questions."

From the early manual release:
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Electric blue

#60 ·
I just placed the order for a Model 3 like so many other North Americans. Yay!

I still don't have clarity on the roof rack situation. I saw that one of our TOO members took upon himself to have a local shop rivet on pads for a roof a solution.
Has Tesla given up on making their own mounting accessory or selling it in the Tesla store? I hope that they have just been so focused on production for the last year that this fell by the wayside.

Elon said yes to roof rack, so lets get the details! I would hope that all cars they are building now can support the roof rack solution they have in mind.

@TrevP

Anything new you know on this topic? I'll take my answer here or on the podcast. :)

#62 ·
Yeah, I've seen Kim's video, but much prefer something that will last 10 years or more and I just don't think rubber suction cups are going to do it long term. I'm carrying a 30 pound boat that is 26' long. The weight is nothing, but the wind forces on the highway are there.

I'm more in the camp of what @Urs did (below), but would prefer a solution at a Tesla Service Center.
>>>>>>
Good news - I got a rack :)
Rack N Road in Sacramento installed a roof rack for me today. Riveted some mounting pads to the roof and mounted the rack to those. The rack is fully removable, leaving the small (3/4" x 3") pads on the roof.
>>>>>>>

That full thread about the roof rack is here:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/trailer-hitch-roof-rack.5838/

#64 ·
Got a chance to test drive a Model 3 this weekend!
One thing I asked the Customer Experience Specialist was "When are the Tesla roof rack mounts coming out?" and he said the spring of 2019. Confirmed the arrows in the glass were the locations. I'm not sure I trust this information, but it is something. I just wish that they would be available for the upcoming ski season.

Feel like tweeting to Elon to see if we can get these sooner @TrevP ?

#65 ·
he said the spring of 2019. Confirmed the arrows in the glass were the locations. I'm not sure I trust this information, but it is something.
At some point, we need to realize that just because there are arrows in the glass, we'll also need something in there that holds a rack! After a couple of searches below that seal, not seen any sort of rack mount yet. And shoving the metal foot of a rack system into that rubber seal doesn't seem like anything but a scratch-producer. :shrug:

#67 ·
I do recall watching your informative and helpful video when it first came out. And I recall you pointing out those "tabs."

Two things:
1. I can't again locate where in this video you pointed them out.
2. Now having several examples of this car at my disposal, I cannot convince myself that below that rubber is anything that we can attach a rack to. Seems to be *something* there. But *what*?

#68 ·
1. I can't again locate where in this video you pointed them out.
If you open up that video in YouTube and click to "SHOW MORE" of the description, you'll see a complete Table of Contents, which includes:
Roof Rack Attach Points @3:36
This link should take you directly to that part of the video:

2. Now having several examples of this car at my disposal, I cannot convince myself that below that rubber is anything that we can attach a rack to. Seems to be *something* there. But *what*?
Before the first deliveries, there was an alpha prototype spotted with a roof rack attached at those points.
Tesla Model 3 roof rack system spotted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.