Model 3 Reservation for Sale

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like a continuation from here (https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/ebay-model-3-listing-car-not-spot-in-line.5414/#post-60169).

Very interesting, I'll copy my note that I just made in that thread:

Tesla doesn't allow for the reservations to be transferred (at least not outside "the family"), so I don't see them processing a transaction where the car is sold for a profit and the person taking possession is not the person that ordered. I suspect for this to happen -- the seller has to take possession of the car and resell it thereby eliminating the federal tax credit potential for both parties. Still a win-win I suppose, this person profits and the new owner got the car sooner (especially if the credit ends up going away and they wouldn't otherwise get it).

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Looks like a continuation from here (https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/ebay-model-3-listing-car-not-spot-in-line.5414/#post-60169).

Very interesting, I'll copy my note that I just made in that thread:

Tesla doesn't allow for the reservations to be transferred (at least not outside "the family"), so I don't see them processing a transaction where the car is sold for a profit and the person taking possession is not the person that ordered. I suspect for this to happen -- the seller has to take possession of the car and resell it thereby eliminating the federal tax credit potential for both parties. Still a win-win I suppose, this person profits and the new owner got the car sooner (especially if the credit ends up going away and they wouldn't otherwise get it).
I thought this as well, but if you are not a current Owner, you can just change your contact info to transfer your reservation. I had a not-to-be-named friend or family member do this. He couldn't afford the car, so he changed the contact info to his co-worker's contact info and now the reservation is in the co-worker's name.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought this as well, but if you are not a current Owner, you can just change your contact info to transfer your reservation. I had a not-to-be-named friend or family member do this. He couldn't afford the car, so he changed the contact info to his co-worker's contact info and now the reservation is in the co-worker's name.
Yikes! That's a bad gap in protecting the process indeed!!

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A sale is a sale as far as Tesla is concerned. They have no incentive not to allow this sort of thing. If it doesn't cause them more work, they might as well just look the other way.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Well the Ebay auction did not receive any bids. Tesla may have stomped on this sale like they did an earlier sale for $150,000. Employees and family members signed they would hold the car for one year. Also, a CA sale of the car could void the $2500 rebate to the original owner. Any Tesla sold cannot leave CA for 30 months or the rebate is subject to clawback.

The sale would be dumb for another reason. Sales Tax. California charges sale tax and license fees on each transfer from one owner to the next. The next buyer of this car does qualify for the Federal tax credit.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I have a delivery estimate for Nov - Jan and I don’t want my reservation anymore. What should I do with it? I’m not interested in making a profit.
Transferring to a family member seems to be OK with Tesla but otherwise transferring to others seems to be problematic.

If you don't have any solutions, might I suggest trying to transfer it to @Mike Land if he wants it? He's a combat vet that seems to have a pretty serious health issue and may want to get his Model 3 earlier before he undergoes a possible heart transplant. Tesla has been known to make exceptions for significant medical problems as the first non-employee Model 3 delivery already went to someone that had terminal cancer.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a delivery estimate for Nov - Jan and I don’t want my reservation anymore. What should I do with it? I’m not interested in making a profit.
Get a refund on your deposit.

Unless you have a family member that wants the car, reservations are non transferable, so to sell to one of us as a for instance (even without profit), you’d need to take possession and resell the car. Even still on some level is it right for someone to swoop in last second and get the car when a few hundred thousand people have waited 18 months...

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Get a refund on your deposit.

Unless you have a family member that wants the car, reservations are non transferable, so to sell to one of us as a for instance (even without profit), you’d need to take possession and resell the car. Even still on some level is it right for someone to swoop in last second and get the car when a few hundred thousand people have waited 18 months...
Ish. That’s what the policy says, but you can login to your account and change your name and contact to whoever you want if you’re not a current owner.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ish. That’s what the policy says, but you can login to your account and change your name and contact to whoever you want if you’re not a current owner.
To which I go back to my reply ... 500,000 people want this thing and you don’t want to profit from it ... just get out of the way.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Transferring to a family member seems to be OK with Tesla but otherwise transferring to others seems to be problematic.

If you don't have any solutions, might I suggest trying to transfer it to @Mike Land if he wants it? He's a combat vet that seems to have a pretty serious health issue and may want to get his Model 3 earlier before he undergoes a possible heart transplant. Tesla has been known to make exceptions for significant medical problems as the first non-employee Model 3 delivery already went to someone that had terminal cancer.
Wow, Thanks @Brokedoc I appreciate the thought. When I read the story of the guy with terminal cancer getting his Model 3 early I thought that was awesome. I'm not in that bad of shape and would love to get a car ASAP but I stood in line on day one and my estimate is Dec-Feb so not long off. Thank you though for thinking of me....brought a little tear to my eyes!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Wow, Thanks @Brokedoc I appreciate the thought. When I read the story of the guy with terminal cancer getting his Model 3 early I thought that was awesome. I'm not in that bad of shape and would love to get a car ASAP but I stood in line on day one and my estimate is Dec-Feb so not long off. Thank you though for thinking of me....brought a little tear to my eyes!
Your service to our country is appreciated and, as a Primary Care Doc, being recommended that you have a heart transplant means that your pump is REALLY sick. Hopefully the cardiologist is wrong but even though you feel fine, your health can deteriorate very quickly and hearts for transplant are very hard to come by. Enjoy each day to the fullest and if you get a chance to enjoy your Model 3 early, don't pass it up. Just don't hit the accelerator too hard. We don't want to over excite your ticker...;)

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your service to our country is appreciated but, as a Primary Care Doc, being recommended that you have a heart transplant means that your pump is REALLY sick. Hopefully the cardiologist is wrong but even though you feel fine, your health can deteriorate very quickly and hearts for transplant are very hard to come by. Enjoy each day to the fullest and if you get a chance to enjoy your Model 3 early, don't pass it up. Just don't hit the accelerator too hard. We don't want to over excite your ticker...;)
LMFAO, I guess if the I die due to the excitement of driving my Model 3 at least I'll have a smile on my face! I'm attempting to get a second opinion, or third, or whatever it takes until somebody tells me what I want hear!...LOL. The only bad side to all of this is I'm grounded until fixed and after flying for 30 years you'd think I'd had enough but that is worse than being told I may need a new heart. For now I'll keep on doing as much as I can do for as long as I can do it, thanks for the encouragement though, it's really nice to have a the great group of people on this board.....funny how something like a car can bring people together.....just feels like family:)