Model 3 Replacement Tire Discussion (OEM sizes only)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PiperPaul

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
2018 RWD LR. Got 26K miles on original MXM4’s. 18” Aero rims.

Need recs for replacements. Mixed driving, fwy, city, So. CA so no snow, little rain.

Great forum here....many choices.

Although great tires, trying to avoid pricy Michelins.

Prefer low noise, smooth ride and comparable range and grip to MXM4’s.

Wanted to try Continental PureContact LS. Have them on another car but they don't seem to make them for the 3. Only 94 load range. The 3 requires 98. Mentioned here were Falkens. No experience with this brand but sound promising. Kind of concerned they are Summer tires though.

Please chime in with your faves for replacements for 18”. Thanks!
Michelin CrossClimate + tires are working out very well for me. And Michelin provided an accomodation against my original MXM4s.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Michelin CrossClimate + tires are working out very well for me. And Michelin provided an accomodation against my original MXM4s.

I should have pursued that with Michelin at the time back in October. I wonder if they would still consider it? Only 18K on the MXM4s, and I bought CrossClimate + as a replacement.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After 1K with the Michelin CrossClimate + tires, I will say there is a definite change in the performance feel of the car. The MXM4s had a distinct higher performance feel, while the CC+s feel a little squishy on some turns. But the traction is great in winter weather. I also notice a change in the road noise on turns. I have to have the audio off, but it's quite distinct. These are not show stoppers by any means, just observations. I'm thinking I would like to have another set of rims/tires for summer driving...

• Informative
Reactions: Mike

processengr

Country
Country
Pretty much my experience with the CC, I have 3500 miles so far. Distinct noise when turning (not objectionable, vey consonant, but present) Turn in response reduced from stock MXM 18', better ride quality over dividers, etc.
I have a set of 19" sport wheels for summer use, debating between Michelin Sport 4S and Conti Extreme summer tires....

Jeff R

Country
Country
Hey Crossclimate+/2 owners! Do any of you have data on the range or Wh/mi difference with the Crossclimate +/2 versus the OE Primacy MXM4's? I looked back over the last 4-5 pages and couldn't find anything.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on either the Crossclimate + or 2, but range is important to me. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jeff
'18 M3 AWD, 18" aero MXM4's currently

PiperPaul

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey Crossclimate+/2 owners! Do any of you have data on the range or Wh/mi difference with the Crossclimate +/2 versus the OE Primacy MXM4's? I looked back over the last 4-5 pages and couldn't find anything.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on either the Crossclimate + or 2, but range is important to me. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jeff
My Wh/Km as reported by the car's trip cards improved roughly %15 after installing the CC+ tires. There's a lot of other influencing variables in that improvement for sure, but I'm confident to say they are better and certainly not worse in regard to range.

• Informative

Hav77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Need recs for replacements. Mixed driving, fwy, city, Nj with rain, snow etc.

My tire guy can get me the Michelin CrossContact2's (he can't get the CC+'s anymore) but he's recommended the Nokian 1's for a really good price. Really, appreciate it if anyone have any info on these tires? I'm leaning towards them!

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My Wh/Km as reported by the car's trip cards improved roughly %15 after installing the CC+ tires. There's a lot of other influencing variables in that improvement for sure, but I'm confident to say they are better and certainly not worse in regard to range.
Wow, that's a rather astonishing improvement... are you sure you are basing this on even remotely similar weather/road/speed conditions?
Based on the the fact that the CrossClimate has a lot of additional design elements incorporated to deal with a much wider range of weather conditions, simply being able to match the MXM4's efficiency (which despite being a decade-old design is still way up there) is impressive. I could maybe even see a 1% - 2% improvement with it having a more advanced carcass design, which is still an improvement most engineers would kill for in the LRR segment.

But to put this in perspective, 15% is like the difference I get from going from my ridiculously inefficent track setup, 265/40R18 Advan AD052s on 18x9.0 +30 FC04s, to my as-efficient-as-OE-Aero EV01s with 235/45R18s. There's just no way I can compute that being the case going from MXM4s to absolutely anything else in the same size.

CrossClimate owners, can some more of you chime in with what you've observed in terms of efficiency over what you had prior?

Last edited:
  • Informative

Mad Hungarian

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Need recs for replacements. Mixed driving, fwy, city, So. CA so no snow, little rain.

Great forum here....many choices.

Although great tires, trying to avoid pricy Michelins.

Prefer low noise, smooth ride and comparable range and grip to MXM4’s.

Wanted to try Continental PureContact LS. Have them on another car but they don't seem to make them for the 3. Only 94 load range. The 3 requires 98. Mentioned here were Falkens. No experience with this brand but sound promising. Kind of concerned they are Summer tires though.

Please chime in with your faves for replacements for 18”. Thanks!
Although this can be a bone of contention with some retailers, there is absolutely no valid technical reason you can't run the PureContact LS in this size, despite its Load Index being 94 instead of the OE's 98.
The GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) for the heaviest Model 3 variant is 2771 lbs on the rear of Dual Motor models and that means you need a tire that can handle at least 1385.5 lbs to cover it. The OE 235/35R20 on the Performance car has an LI of 92, which translates to 1389 lbs of load capacity - just a hair over the minimum - and obviously it meets all DOT/NHTSA requirements.
So running a 94 LI - which at 1477 lbs capacity can carry 88 lbs more load than the OE Performance tire at the same pressure - is no issue at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Mesprit87 and Mike

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Jeff
It's hard to say if there has been any change over the MXM4s. I did set a trip meter at the time the tires were replaced in October 2020, and just checked it the other day. The ave Wh/m show as 317 over about 1,100 miles, which is pretty good for the winter months. Overall ave is under 300 wh/m over 19K.

PiperPaul

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow, that's a rather astonishing improvement... are you sure you are basing this on even remotely similar weather/road/speed conditions?
Based on the the fact that the CrossClimate has a lot of additional design elements incorporated to deal with a much wider range of weather conditions, simply being able to match the MXM4's efficiency (which despite being a decade-old design is still way up there) is impressive. I could maybe even see a 1% - 2% improvement with it having a more advanced carcass design, which is still an improvement most engineers would kill for in the LRR segment.

But to put this in perspective, 15% is like the difference I get from going from my ridiculously inefficent track setup, 265/40R18 Advan AD052s on 18x9.0 +30 FC04s, to my as-efficient-as-OE-Aero EV01s with 235/45R18s. There's just no way I can compute that being the case going from MXM4s to absolutely anything else in the same size.

CrossClimate owners, can some more of you chime in with what you've observed in terms of efficiency over what you had prior?
No, @Mad Hungarian I'm not sure. That's why I said "There's a lot of other influencing variables in that improvement for sure"
But the numbers I've been tracking are:
  • over the life of the car it's used 180 Wh/Km according to the odometer cards
  • once the CC+ tires were installed last June I saw various trip cards reporting 130 - 150 Wh/Km
  • normally I would see about a 15% improvement in the summer over the winter from 210 Wh/Km to 180 Wh/Km
  • getting new summer readings of 150 Wh/Km vs. 180 Wh/Km is another 15%
Same trips? Same roads? Same speeds? Same topography? Same winds? Same temps? No - or maybe. Definitely not the same wheel alignment because I had that fixed.

So with my very rough numbers, and not having the car measured in a test lab, my opinion remains: "I'm confident to say they are better and certainly not worse in regard to range."

I'm definitely interested to hear from others. Maybe the CrossClimates like our sea air. :rolleyes:

Mad Hungarian

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No, @Mad Hungarian I'm not sure. That's why I said "There's a lot of other influencing variables in that improvement for sure"
But the numbers I've been tracking are:
  • over the life of the car it's used 180 Wh/Km according to the odometer cards
  • once the CC+ tires were installed last June I saw various trip cards reporting 130 - 150 Wh/Km
  • normally I would see about a 15% improvement in the summer over the winter from 210 Wh/Km to 180 Wh/Km
  • getting new summer readings of 150 Wh/Km vs. 180 Wh/Km is another 15%
Same trips? Same roads? Same speeds? Same topography? Same winds? Same temps? No - or maybe. Definitely not the same wheel alignment because I had that fixed.

So with my very rough numbers, and not having the car measured in a test lab, my opinion remains: "I'm confident to say they are better and certainly not worse in regard to range."

I'm definitely interested to hear from others. Maybe the CrossClimates like our sea air. :rolleyes:
Ahhh, now I understand why it's so far off.
When you have big swings in seasonal climates - like pretty much anywhere in Canada - you really cannot use multi-year lifetime cumulative consumption data to compare to short term period-specific data. Furthermore there's a clue in your stats that tells us that your previous warm-weather efficiency numbers must have been lower than 180 Wh/km, because if your Lifetime average is 180 and you've seen as high as 210 Wh/km over the winter months then you'd need much better efficiency in the summer months in order to average out to 180. In fact, if you were getting in 210 winter, in order to average out to 180 overall you'd need to hit pretty much bang-on 150 in summer. So I think that's likely a figure you were already achieving in warm weather previously.
Not trying to be difficult here nor in anyway disputing what you're seeing, just trying to make the best sense of your data and results.

• Winner
Reactions: Mike and FRC

processengr

Country
Country
I have had my CC+ for the last 3k.
I did not see any improvement in w/mi. over the stock 18"MXM without aero covers.
No hard scientific measurements or records to back it up, just watching the w/mi. cards.

PiperPaul

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ahhh, now I understand why it's so far off.
When you have big swings in seasonal climates - like pretty much anywhere in Canada - you really cannot use multi-year lifetime cumulative consumption data to compare to short term period-specific data. Furthermore there's a clue in your stats that tells us that your previous warm-weather efficiency numbers must have been lower than 180 Wh/km, because if your Lifetime average is 180 and you've seen as high as 210 Wh/km over the winter months then you'd need much better efficiency in the summer months in order to average out to 180. In fact, if you were getting in 210 winter, in order to average out to 180 overall you'd need to hit pretty much bang-on 150 in summer. So I think that's likely a figure you were already achieving in warm weather previously.
Not trying to be difficult here nor in anyway disputing what you're seeing, just trying to make the best sense of your data and results.
Yup. Go with what you got. ;)
At the end of the story, my range isn't worse.

Reactions: Mad Hungarian

TM3 CA

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Out of curiosity, how are people getting the warranty credits for premature wear? I have about 26K on he original MXM4’s and will probably need to replace at 30K. How much credit have you received?

PiperPaul

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Out of curiosity, how are people getting the warranty credits for premature wear? I have about 26K on he original MXM4’s and will probably need to replace at 30K. How much credit have you received?
I called Michelin Customer Support. They had me follow their procedure to validate the premature wear, and then made me an offer.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.