Model 3 production line / equipment

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I cannot give you specifics on the line and machinery, what I can say is that they are indeed installing the equipment and working around the clock on it.

It was a beehive of activity when I was there!!

I saw the "Alien dreadnought" with my own eyes and the name is very apt: it's massive and complicated. I have a feeling this new thing will be shrouded from public eyes as long as they can, I think they feel it's a trade secret.

If you want an idea of what it looks like take a look at this picture of a particular station on the Model X line. Some 15 robots in this station alone but the Model 3 line looks about twice as dense everywhere.

img_4246-jpg.1765

Last edited:

Kbm3

Country
Country
While I cannot give you specifics on the line and machinery, what I can say is that they are indeed installing the equipment and working around the clock on it.

It was a beehive of activity when I was there!!

I saw the "Alien dreadnought" with my own eyes and the name is very apt: it's massive and complicated. I have a feeling this new thing will be shrouded from public eyes as long as they can, I think they feel it's a trade secret.
Kind of surprised to hear that. According to Elon for model 3, they are only matching the industry best.

Very jealous that you got to see that.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can't wait to do a factory tour at some point after my purchase. Would really love to see Spacex but I understand that is harder. The picture makes it very clear what Elon mrans when he says this is a complex computing problem. I can't imagine coordinating all of that.

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Can't wait to do a factory tour at some point after my purchase. Would really love to see Spacex but I understand that is harder. The picture makes it very clear what Elon mrans when he says this is a complex computing problem. I can't imagine coordinating all of that.
I'm in the opposite situation - have been on a SpaceX tour (I'm friends with one of the engineers) but would love to see the Tesla factory.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Amazing. Have been on the standard Nasa tour of the Cape just before one of the last shuttle launches. The scale of everything is mindblowing. Looking forward to Falcon Heavy in October. Hope to go down to see the launch.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
Since I first heard the term 'alien dreadnought' I presumed that meant it would be a system that used space very efficiently in a fully three dimensional manner so that 'no humans beyond this point' signs would be an absolute necessity. And with Tesla's firm commitment to safety, I think that lockout/tagout drills are bound to be a major part of regular safety reviews at Fremont and every manufacturing/fabrication facility they operate from now on. When humans are present, there will be a look and feel that is probably close to the design of a BORG Cube, I think. To go even further, operations may end up being designed very much like the innards of a microchip, only extruded and expanded by about a billion-to-one factor while still maintaining all the same levels of complexity within. Reminds me also of a statement made about how the Gigafactory works -- leave no space unused.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
An anonymous tipster sent me pictures of the Model 3 production line which are in this album. I don't want to host them on this site given their sensitivity. They were not taken by him but from another source which got passed along...

Tipster relays they're slowly ramping up production on the new line and making around 15 cars or so a day and climbing.

Sorry folks, I had a change of heart and deleted the pictures.

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
An anonymous tipster sent me pictures of the Model 3 production line which are in this album. I don't want to host them on this site given their sensitivity. They were not taken by him but from another source which got passed along...

Tipster relays they're slowly ramping up production on the new line and making around 15 cars or so a day and climbing.

Awesome. Do you at least have higher resolution photos? Any with the full body in white? 4K video of the entire assembly process?? :D

Aaand just like that poof! it's gone.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would paste them in here from my cache, but Trev requested they not be hosted here.
Personally, I didn't think they were that interesting, other than the fact that the line has clear walls to keep people out.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Clearly they were taken in succession on a walk down one aisle, and aside from some recognizable parts on the floor, you couldn't really see any actual assembly going on by the robots. The only surprising thing to me was the poor condition of the concrete floors, but remember it is not a new factory at all.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome. Do you at least have higher resolution photos? Any with the full body in white? 4K video of the entire assembly process?? :D

Aaand just like that poof! it's gone.
Sorry, I had posted what I had and had a change of heart. I've been on the ugly end of the Tesla stick once before and decided it's not worth ruffling feathers again.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, it was not the "painted white and red" ultra-clean look we're used to seeing in a finished production line at Tesla. More like "backstage during construction" shots...

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited by a moderator:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And about one third of the September projected 1.5k... not out of 'hell' yet... ;)
there was a comment I'd heard, maybe on the new TeslaDailyPodcast (a really great daily recap of all things Tesla), maybe on one of the others I listen to... that was saying there was confirmation they have moved from the test production line (essentially hand built, non automated) to the full production line. I would suspect the photos/info sent to @TrevP was of that test line, and the 15/day also it's numbers.