Model 3 phone charging options

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
PSA: For those (like Mike & I) who pre-order, there is NO NEED to buy a iPhone Model 3 phone charging cable. The Premium Package comes with one iPhone and one USB. I bought 2 iPhone thinking that none came with the car, now I have an extra (and a USB cable that I took out). I bought early to avoid the run, but didn't need it all.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
PSA: For those (like Mike & I) who pre-order, there is NO NEED to buy a iPhone Model 3 phone charging cable. The Premium Package comes with one iPhone and one USB. I bought 2 iPhone thinking that none came with the car, now I have an extra (and a USB cable that I took out). I bought early to avoid the run, but didn't need it all.
after seeing a couple posts of people looking to swap a lightning cable for a USB or the other way around, I was thinking we should have a thread dedicated to swapping one for the other. What do you all think?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
after seeing a couple posts of people looking to swap a lightning cable for a USB or the other way around, I was thinking we should have a thread dedicated to swapping one for the other. What do you all think?
Once more people get cars we will need swapmeet section, some might not want the areo covers and others do, or whatever combination of parts someone might be looking for or willing to trade/sell.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes! Tesla installed mine, and actually broke a piece (which they have since replaced). Was not visible, but they are learning as well and wrote up the 'how to' for the system. Please separate thread.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably a good idea. A buddy of mine that took delivery of his Model 3 got one of each and his entire family use iphones so he just gave me his USB-C cable. I was stoked cause everyone in my house has android phones. :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably a good idea. A buddy of mine that took delivery of his Model 3 got one of each and his entire family use iphones so he just gave me his USB-C cable. I was stoked cause everyone in my house has android phones. :)
and I think per household, that is pretty typical more times than not.
Not just family, but co-workers (around a dozen people) and friends, I can think of 2 people that are not iPhone users (and they are not people that would ever be in my car). SO... when I get my car, I will happily swap a USB for a second lightning ;)

ETA... ok, I just remembered my dad has an android phone and I'll probably let him in my car, but he better come with his phone already charged up ;)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Not just family, but co-workers (around a dozen people) and friends, I can think of 2 people that are not iPhone users (and they are not people that would ever be in my car). SO... when I get my car, I will happily swap a USB for a second lightning ;)

ETA... ok, I just remembered my dad has an android phone and I'll probably let him in my car, but he better come with his phone already charged up ;)
I guess I don't get a ride then.

...damn.

Dan

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

aww, no android love :( so sad.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like this, but I'm also 99.9% sure I'm getting this instead...

http://teslawirelesspad.com

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As far as swapping cables....I haven't found one single friend (Android or Apple) whose phone will work on the dock with the supplied cables due to their phone cases. Fat, skinny, it doesn't matter. Haven't found even one that would easily plug in...So it may be a moot point to swap cables.

The $99 custom Model 3-sized wireless charging pad is looking better and better...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As far as swapping cables....I haven't found one single friend (Android or Apple) whose phone will work on the dock with the supplied cables due to their phone cases. Fat, skinny, it doesn't matter. Haven't found even one that would easily plug in...So it may be a moot point to swap cables.

The $99 custom Model 3-sized wireless charging pad is looking better and better...
I just wish I could put that in next Wednesday when I get the car, but he says it doesn't ship until April. Should we account for "Tesla time"? ;)

Vistan

Country
Country
  • As far as swapping cables....I haven't found one single friend (Android or Apple) whose phone will work on the dock with the supplied cables due to their phone cases. Fat, skinny, it doesn't matter. Haven't found even one that would easily plug in...So it may be a moot point to swap cables.

I Have a KAVAJ leather iPhone case which easily plugs into the Model 3 lightning dock. Check Amazon...

Vista

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems the issue is the metal charger pins need to be longer and skinnier to overcome the extra width and height added by most phone cases. Theoretically could someone make a third party connector that is longer to overcomes this, or would it violate design/safety specs?

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

For those of us with Samsung 8 phones, I am wondering if the little Micro-B to USB-C adapter would take care of this problem by making the stem a little longer.

Dan

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New thread for all questions/comments related to phone charging options in Model 3, to @MelindaV ’s precious suggestion.
That wasn’t my suggesting. ;)

I was suggesting establishing a swap thread for those needing a lighting instead of USB cord, etc. I’ll set that up in the for sale section...

link to swap thread

Last edited:

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My Apple iPhone leather case (bought from Apple) works with the charger.